Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2017 7:32:15 AM EDT
I own a Springfield XD Mod 2 and I have my CWP. I tried out an Aliengear IWB holster, but the grip prints no matter what position I put it in. Basically, when the gun is holstered it sits at an angle causing the grip to poke out. I'm looking for recommendations for a new IWB holster that holds the gun better against my body so the gun won't print.  I'm 6'4", 240 so I'm not a small guy, but average build.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Before you get rid of the holster play around with the cant and body positioning. For me, right behind my hip with an aggressive cant prints the least for larger guns. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Before you get rid of the holster play around with the cant and body positioning. For me, right behind my hip with an aggressive cant prints the least for larger guns. 
View Quote
+1

I carry a Sig P320 in an AG holster and worn at the 4:00 position the grip is held pretty tight to my body, no printing whatsoever.
If you are wearing the holster with the gun positioned just in front of your hip (2:30 ish) I could see that it might allow the grip to point out rather than in.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you using a stiff belt, or a floppy lame belt?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI

Holsters with cant should be back in the 430-5 position at least
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
What belt are you using?  Is it a carry belt?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
A full size XD grip is big.  You might need a change in cover garment.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
1. Make sure the belt you are using is a purpose built belt. Anything floppy that is more for style than function will allow your firearm to tilt out from the body and print.

2. UNLOAD THE FIREARM AND CHECK CLEAR! Once you've done that, take the bare gun and place it in your pants and slide it around at different positions, cants and heights on your waistband while standing in front of a mirror to see which position/cant/height conceals the best for your body. Now manipulate the clips on your AG holster to get as close to that as possible. This is a quick and easy way to find what works and what doesn't.

3. Carry and don't worry if you have a little poke, no one is looking!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1. Make sure the belt you are using is a purpose built belt. Anything floppy that is more for style than function will allow your firearm to tilt out from the body and print.

2. UNLOAD THE FIREARM AND CHECK CLEAR! Once you've done that, take the bare gun and place it in your pants and slide it around at different positions, cants and heights on your waistband while standing in front of a mirror to see which position/cant/height conceals the best for your body. Now manipulate the clips on your AG holster to get as close to that as possible. This is a quick and easy way to find what works and what doesn't.

3. Carry and don't worry if you have a little poke, no one is looking!
View Quote
Good advice belt is a pivotal part of daily carry especially when you are carry something more than just a small single stack 9.  Also realizing that no one is paying attention to you helps you get over the printing.  I print everywhere I go and to be honest most people are to busy facesnapspacing or texting boob\dick pics to worry about what you are doing.  If you want people to pay attention to you that requires doing some attention worth and printing will not get anyones attention.  It might get mine or some others on here but most likely you will get a smile and nod to carry on.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:3. Carry and don't worry if you have a little poke, no one is looking!
View Quote
This mostly.

Concealed means "obscured from view" not completely undetectable.  

Even if someone noticed the gun butt poke on your shirt; does it look like a gun or just a lump?  A lump could be anything; phone, sheathed knife, pliers....

I was stationed at Charleston AFB for a decade, and I can't imagine carrying IWB in that damp heat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry anywhere from 3'clock to 4ish depending on the gun I carry that day. A glock 19 fits perfect at 3'clock with a little play of the clips. while a 229 is anywhere in that range. I find carrying a 229 with the clips as low as possible forcing the gun up higher much better comfortably and doesn't print at all compared to closer to the waist line.

Edit: Just to add when you carry and you think people are paying attention to if you print or not, they are not. I print quite often if I wear more fitting shirts and have never had anyone say anything to me about it. (not that I would care at all being as open carry is allowed in my ao)
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#11]
So many good tips!  I'm going to try out different cants and levels on the holster tonight. That's for the feedback!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I like wearing my gun around 4-5 o'clock since I'm right handed and wear a loose cover garment. Like a short or long sleeve button down shirt one size larger. You can even leave it unbuttoned to really hide it, but just be aware of wind, ha. A light jacket also works well if it's cooler out or raining. Double stacked guns are thicker and print more under just a t-shirt. I usually carry a single stack Shield if it's hot outside and I'm only wearing a polo or T-shirt. Again the shirt should be a size larger and loose. If I'm wearing more fitted shirts then I pocket carry. I generally prefer just to carry a small pocket gun most the time. But yeah the more you carry the less you care about printing. Most people are oblivious. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
People are oblivious. My family knows I carry, and last month when I went golfing with them, and my stepsisters boyfriends who I'd never met, no one commented on the G22 I had at 330 IWB that I guarantee was printing like a motherfucker everytime I put the ball on the tee.

Outside of work, I really don't give a shit whether I print or not. It's not illegal to print. I only care about printing when at work, because I'd get in trouble for carrying. That's why I carry AIWB primarily at work.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Printing... printing.... and more printing...........

........you might be over thinking this way to much, the average knuckle dragging isn't going to notice, and if they do... would they correlate it to CCW... probably not.  In this day and age, everyone has something on there belt/waste line.... people barely notice when I open carry, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over "printing".
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#15]
POKIES don't matter......err at least the gun type
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless you have a heavy cover garment, a full size pistol is likely to print, and do it obviously.  This is why they are generally called duty guns, and manufacturers make smaller models designed to cc.

Just cause people don't say anything to you, doesn't mean they don't notice.  It only takes one with bad intentions.  Maybe there are those who like everyone knowing they carry, but would advise against it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unless you have a heavy cover garment, a full size pistol is likely to print, and do it obviously.  This is why they are generally called duty guns, and manufacturers make smaller models designed to cc.

Just cause people don't say anything to you, doesn't mean they don't notice.  It only takes one with bad intentions.  Maybe there are those who like everyone knowing they carry, but would advise against it.
View Quote
A good belt and holster will do wonders. My 1911 only prints when I try
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm 6'-4" 250ish and carry a G34 with a TLR-1 HL attached.

A good holster and belt makes all the difference in the world. The downside is you're carrying a gun that there are not many holsters for.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I went from carrying my G26 to my G19 in a crossbreed (3-5 o'clock) and even though the grip does stick out a tiny bit, you must remember that 90% of people are too unaware of their surroundings to notice. The other 10% are probably carrying themselves.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I am 5' 10" and 172 lbs.

I can conceal a Glock 22.

Bigger shirt, thicker shirt. Dark shirt.

Use a thick gun belt.

Dress around the gun.

Don't bend over.

Or get a gun with a smaller grip, and do the same as above.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Fortunately can wear untucked button up shirts at work. They're all plaid. When it must absolutely not print, a 45 xds at 4 oclock with fbi tilt.  No printing, even if bending/stretching. Small grip pistols are particularly good at this. When not at work and desiring to carry larger, it is at 3 oclock with more tilt so larger grip hides better at side.  There are adjustments to be made, especially with contorting some to draw it. With lighter summer plaid button up shirt, easy to conceal 3' 1911 with 2 mags.  In winter can conceal a full size 1911, BHP or similar with heavier shirt. Suspenders underneath the shirt and attached to the belt help with the heavier loads, iwb hybrid holster and mag/mags on offside.

Am too old to actually care about fashion, and better to hide old body with loose fitting comfortable clothes.  A SA xd has a particularly large grip.  Could conceal it, but would be printing often on my body size with anything close to non-tent like clothing.

And you can bet I check out others that are obviously printing (am not in big city). It be part of the situational awareness deal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]
You seek the INCOG IWB w/Super MOJO. Im pretty close to your build, and I'm able to carry Appendix with this holster. But, with the Super Mojo hardware it pushed the grip towards the body. This will help eliminate most printing, if you carry at 3 to 4 o'clock as well. Reality though, most people won't notice printing unless gun becomes uncovered. I have a long torso, so I buy tall sized shirts, and that usually keeps it covered.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Who cares if your printing a little?

Unless your state has a law against printing then rock-on...  Odds are nobody will ever notice except you, and that's because you are intentionally looking for it in the mirror.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top