Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I started my serious study of the handgun with a 1911. For many years I shot primarily Les Baer, Wilson and various custom 1911's. Being a serious gun geek though I had bought my first Glock in 1988. As the magazine ban went away and ammo technology evolved, it made more sense to me to carry a gun with more bullets. So, about 10 years ago or so I started carrying more 9's- Glocks, Xd's, Smith M&P's, Hi Powers and CZ's.

These days I rarely shoot my .45's even though, for the most part, I shoot the 1911's better than anything else.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
For those that stopped carrying full-size 45 1911s, why did you switch to polymer guns instead of a lightweight commander 1911 in 9mm?  The DW Guardian weighs the same as a P320C or PX4 storm compact.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a MK-III BHP on my right hip, Colt LWT Commander in horizontal Shoulder holster, A G43 AIWB, and My BUG is a G26 with +2 pinky extender on my Left ankle. I have a Dangerous job.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those that stopped carrying full-size 45 1911s, why did you switch to polymer guns instead of a lightweight commander 1911 in 9mm?  The DW Guardian weighs the same as a P320C or PX4 storm compact.
View Quote
For me it had nothing to do with weight. When I first quit carrying a 1911 I carried a Glock 21-which I never could shoot worth a shit-small hands....even with a Robar Grip reduction.....Then I went to an XD Tactical .45 which is every bit as big and bigger/heavier than a 1911. To me, it's all about having more ammo. With good, modern ammo, the 9 mm is every bit as lethal as the .45. No reason NOT to have twice as many bullets. Carrying a S&W M&P and two spare mags- I'm carrying an entire BOX of ammo, 50 plus rounds....with a 1911, I have literally half that much.

The 1911 is a two bad guy gun in a three bad guy world. Back when people mostly worried about a mugger, typical street crime bullshit etc.....a 1911, hell a wheelgun was fine. Now we have assholes with Ak's, suicide vests, body armor and a really fucking bad attitude and high dedication to a death cult called Islam to contend with.....Give me more BB's please!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a MK-III BHP on my right hip, Colt LWT Commander in horizontal Shoulder holster, A G43 AIWB, and My BUG is a G26 with +2 pinky extender on my Left ankle. I have a Dangerous job.
View Quote
Walmart security?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I carried my 1911 today. Nothing changed. I don't operate, I never felt outgunned at any moment. In fact, I had the same level of confidence.

If other people want to be paranoid and force a fear mongering narrative while being prepared for their own paranoia, whatever floats their boat. But their absolutes are not universal or something to be considered because let's face it; we do not operate and the whole purpose is to carry for self defense. We don't go looking for fights and the average gunfight is 3-5 rounds. Those are real stats and not the forced narrative.

Whichever it is you carry well and shoot the best whether it is metal, polymer, single or double stack, the most important part is get some training and maintain that edge. Forget the paranoid that preach the operator forced narrative life.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I carried my 1911 today. Nothing changed. I don't operate, I never felt outgunned at any moment. In fact, I had the same level of confidence.

If other people want to be paranoid and force a fear mongering narrative while being prepared for their own paranoia, whatever floats their boat. But their absolutes are not universal or something to be considered because let's face it; we do not operate and the whole purpose is to carry for self defense. We don't go looking for fights and the average gunfight is 3-5 rounds. Those are real stats and not the forced narrative.

Whichever it is you carry well and shoot the best whether it is metal, polymer, single or double stack, the most important part is get some training and maintain that edge. Forget the paranoid that preach the operator forced narrative life.
View Quote
You mean being paranoid like carrying a gun to protect yourself? Because the number of rounds shot by most people at another human in their lifetimes is far less than 3 to 5......

See how that works? Nobody is pushing paranoia, merely a higher level of preparedness which is consistent with modern reality......
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why do you carry a gun at all. The average day doesn't require a gun at all?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Sort of. I found a good deal on a used mtac, and carried a 1911 after carrying a full size M&P or a CZ P07 all the time.

Couldn't believe how a heavier gun carried better just because it was more slim.

Went to poly 9mm single stacks after that, but still carry the 1911 occasionally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Every day switch from a 45 xds to 1911 lwt commander when I get off work.  A small butted pistol is just too easy to conceal effectively behind the hip, and passing the reach to lower/upper shelf test easily.  Am not the imaginative type that believes no one is looking at the print from trying to conceal under a t-shirt, especially when working with bunch of tree hugging libbys, and getting into and out of desk chair most days.

Less concerned outside of work, where a commander conceals pretty good with FBI tilt at 3 oclock.  While others may certainly do as they please, am not imagining  effective concealment of full size pistol under a t-shirt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I generally carry a Glock 27. It is small, light weight and I shoot it well. I carried a G19 on active duty and practiced with it quite a bit. I liked the 27 because it was familiar. I also carry a 1911 officer model. It is a little thinner and with the right holster I can wear it in jeans and a t-shirt. Nothing wrong with either gun. As long as you train with them and do not become complacent. As far as ammo capacity, I always carry an extra mag or 2 just in case of a malfunction.  Sometimes I think people tend to overthink there ccw choices. All you need is something reliable that shoots well and works for you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I generally carry a Glock 27. It is small, light weight and I shoot it well. I carried a G19 on active duty and practiced with it quite a bit. I liked the 27 because it was familiar. I also carry a 1911 officer model. It is a little thinner and with the right holster I can wear it in jeans and a t-shirt. Nothing wrong with either gun. As long as you train with them and do not become complacent. As far as ammo capacity, I always carry an extra mag or 2 just in case of a malfunction.  Sometimes I think people tend to overthink there ccw choices. All you need is something reliable that shoots well and works for you.
View Quote
That is exactly it right there.

Sometimes they even go above and overthink what they think everyone else should be carrying as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I have numerous 1911s, an MP9, & a P238. I prefer carrying a CCO or LWOM 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM2. The M&P with a light is definitely the nightstand gun though. 

I know there is no "my gunfight" but I do see the two scenarios as completely different.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#14]
When my full size 1911 would sag on my belt (Wilderness 5 stitch) with quality leather holster unless I cranked that motherfucker so high and tight I could not stand it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

99.9% of shooters can't shoot 6 inches at 25 yards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet it is still here 100+ years after it was introduced...

How many are carrying P08 Lugers, P38's, Mauser C96, et al?

It is still here because it WORKS yet other WWI vintage pistols have all but gone away, even the Browning Hi Power.

But it is not for everyone but it cannot be dismissed

Most ranges rent them, try it a couple of times and see what you think. If you can't shoot it at 25 yards and hold 6", it isn't the pistol.

99.9% of shooters can't shoot 6 inches at 25 yards.
Bullshit. I mean I get your point but 99%? It ain't THAT hard man.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, it's not. He must be part of that percentage that cannot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. I posted my 8" group on page 1(infact I already said I couldn't shoot a 6" group but I know how much you love to be edgy and not read). Let's see your 30rd group at 25 yards that's 6".

I work PT at a range and 90% of the shooters can't even hit the target at 25 yards. I stand there and watch it all the time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Correct. I posted my 8" group on page 1(infact I already said I couldn't shoot a 6" group but I know how much you love to be edgy and not read). Let's see your 30rd group at 25 yards that's 6".

I work PT at a range and 90% of the shooters can't even hit the target at 25 yards. I stand there and watch it all the time.
View Quote
GSL is the only one entitled to an opinion. Everyone else is speaking in absolutes and should be condemned.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#19]
My dad's compact colt shoots minute of barn. He carries a karh 9mm now, at least when he carries.

I had a ss 5 shot, heavy and hardly ever carried. Then I picked up a g27 and started carrying regularly. It was lighter and I have a better holster for it. Now I just picked up a 9mm shield with a iwb holster and it carries even better. If it does that conceal and carry well then you won't carry it is my experience.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can believe that from just the little i've seen at ranges. (not where i shoot the majority of the time)

I watched a guy empty what appeared to be a  glock 17  at another guy he was arguing with at a gas station.
They were less than 5 foot from each other screaming cursing match.
He tried to shoot the guy in the face with the first shot.
When he brought the pistol up it was 3~ foot from the guys head he missed.
Dude turned and ran instantly in a straight line Shooter emptied the gun at him runner never appeared to be hit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmmm.  EAA now makes a plastic-frame 1911.

Interesting...

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#22]
There's no either/or.

These are the pistols I carry most.
20160105_132527 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20160428_134241 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

As far as shooting I can do nearly as well with these little guys...
20160428_135104_Richtone(HDR) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

My typical performance with full sized guns these days at 25 yards is 2-3." With the snubs I can do 4-5" depending on LaserGrip or no.

Once upon a time I could have holes touching with my full size revos, but I was shooting a lot more then.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When my full size 1911 would sag on my belt (Wilderness 5 stitch) with quality leather holster unless I cranked that motherfucker so high and tight I could not stand it anymore.
View Quote
Word.  

I carried a 5" steel 45 in a VMII on a 1 3/4" Wilderness CSM belt with carpenters suspenders and it was still a PITA on a long day.  

Went to a Glock and never looked back.  I AIWB a G43 and a reload now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Edit: I have apparently already replied to this thread once
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I like all handguns, especially nice 1911's. But for daily carry I use my Glock. Large frame steel handguns just weigh too much.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like all handguns, especially nice 1911's. But for daily carry I use my Glock. Large frame steel handguns just weigh too much.
View Quote
One of my friends has tried all the polymer strikers, he cannot shoot them well. He loves 1911's, he cannot shoot them as well either. He bought an FN HP, and suddenly he can shoot really good with it. He now carries it everyday, no complaints with the weight at all and he is very happy now that his search is over.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I look at it this way. I want the cheapest reliable handgun I can get for EDC because at best it just gets carried a lot and at worst it ends up sitting in an evidence locker and maybe even destroyed. Do I want my $3000 P7M13 or a nice Wilson 1911 (of which you'd usually only have one of) to end up with a case number dremeled on the slide or would you rather a cheap $500 Glock get that treatment.

For the record I carry a M&P Full Size 9mm and a 9mm shield and I'd hate to see either of those guns get the "treatment" but its the cheapest best gun for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I look at it this way. I want the cheapest reliable handgun I can get for EDC because at best it just gets carried a lot and at worst it ends up sitting in an evidence locker and maybe even destroyed. Do I want my $3000 P7M13 or a nice Wilson 1911 (of which you'd usually only have one of) to end up with a case number dremeled on the slide or would you rather a cheap $500 Glock get that treatment.

For the record I carry a M&P Full Size 9mm and a 9mm shield and I'd hate to see either of those guns get the "treatment" but its the cheapest best gun for me.
View Quote
If one of my high dollar guns were dremeled with a case number after a good shoot, I'd demil it and hang that weapon in a glass case proudly on my wall.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Aaaaaaaand I'm back to carrying 1911s
View Quote
This

This one is a steel frame 70 series. I am going to test drive an alloy frame just because.

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hardly.
And I'm a fan of the gun.
View Quote
Sadly, I think you're right.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Carried this Colt M1911 (s/n dated to 1916) in Iraq in 08'  Let me know how Glock does after 100 yrs.

CD
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Carried this Colt M1911 (s/n dated to 1916) in Iraq in 08'  Let me know how Glock does after 100 yrs.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P5210025_rz.JPG

CD
View Quote
Were you issued an '03 Springfield with that?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I carried a Kimber Compact CDP for 15 years.  I wanted a full size 9mm for home defense and plinking that could handle lots of rounds.  I settled on a CZ SP-01 Tactical and fell in love.  The CGW ultralit kit helped.

I wanted to keep the same controls betwwen the SP-01 and my EDC pistol, so I sold the Kimber to fund a RAMI BD in 9mm.  It conceals and weighs similarly to the Compact CDP, but I now carry 21 rounds of 9mm vs 15 in 45 ACP.  Plus, I find myself practicing a lot more.  I am glad I made the switch.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Owned and carried both. I never really had a moment where I felt outgunned with a .45 1911, nor that the 9mm from a Glock 19 was inadequate. About the most conflict that I had was whether I carry my 17 with TLR1s, or my Kimber Custom II with a .38 snubnose as backup in my jacket pocket while going out to pick up pizza at 2345.

I ended up carrying the Glock and the .38
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top