Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/31/2016 11:57:24 PM EDT
I often hear from various people (on youtube and here) that make 1911s to be the worst possible primary ccw choice.  

I get that they weigh a lot more, so that is a disadvantage.   The other two arguments I hear are about reliability and capacity.   I think the capacity issue is a non-issue since it is highly unlikely that 7 or 8 + 1 won't get the job done. I do not understand why it is claimed that 1911s aren't reliable.... why are they still made and so popular if they aren't reliable?  I doubt everyone that has one has it for a range gun.

What am I missing about 1911s and why they are not recommended by some?  I have shot one before, but do not own one.   I'm thinking about getting a Sig 1911 nightmare fastback carry and a shoulder holster as my primary for Winter carry, so i don't think weight will be as much an issue as on the hip.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The unreliable reputation comes from the 1911 feed ramp.  Holow points can hang up on the relatively steep 1911 feed ramp causing feed issues.  But with proper ammo selection this can be avoided.  

But I disagree about capacity.  Carry as much as possible of good self defense ammo aka 9 40 45.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my 1911's for conceal carry. I'm rocking my Dan Wesson Valor 1911 tonight loaded up with 45 Super rounds. People that say that don't like 1911's are usually amateur shooters. A lot of 1911's out of the box have issues and need to be tuned properly. I generally wouldn't recommend a 1911 for a new shooter. I mean it's complicated with a thumb safety and grip safety and external hammer and needs proper maintenance often, and the 45 kicks like a mule for most, and if you miss you don't have a lot of extra rounds. Of course if I meet anyone that used one in combat they can't say enough good things about it. 

For new shooters I tell them to get a Glock 19 9mm hands down. Easy to use, reliable out of the box, low maintenance, less recoil, more rounds, lighter gun. There's a reason the Glock 19 is so popular. 

I wouldn't feel under-gunned with either one. I often bounce back and forth between these two guns. But at the end of the day I prefer the 1911. 

My buddy who has been in Law Enforcement for decades, always carried and loved the Glock 17, now conceal carries the Glock 21 and loves it. I can't believe he can conceal that huge brick of a gun comfortably. But hey I can't argue with 13 rounds of 45acp either. And Glock's are more reliable than 1911's. So it's a very solid choice. I could see using it as a duty gun, but it's just not for me for conceal carry. 1911's just conceal carry so much better. And for self defense I doubt you need more than a few rounds of 45acp. The S&W Shield 45acp looks like a great conceal carry piece also. Of course you can't shoot 45 Super through it, ha 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've tried Glocks--they aren't for me.  I did however pick up a Sig P320 compact in 357 Sig.  I need to work on my grip and trigger pull because I'm hitting 1.5" to the left at 5 yds... I had a friend try it and he was hitting about 1" to the left.  I'm wondering if the factory fixed sights are off a little bit since we didn't have this issue shooting my HK45 and his Ruger SR40.

I've always wanted a 1911, but the negative things I hear about them keep me from dropping the cash on one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I often hear from various people (on youtube and here) that make 1911s to be the worst possible primary ccw choice.  

I get that they weigh a lot more, so that is a disadvantage.   The other two arguments I hear are about reliability and capacity.   I think the capacity issue is a non-issue since it is highly unlikely that 7 or 8 + 1 won't get the job done. I do not understand why it is claimed that 1911s aren't reliable.... why are they still made and so popular if they aren't reliable?  I doubt everyone that has one has it for a range gun.

What am I missing about 1911s and why they are not recommended by some?  I have shot one before, but do not own one.   I'm thinking about getting a Sig 1911 nightmare fastback carry and a shoulder holster as my primary for Winter carry, so i don't think weight will be as much an issue as on the hip.
View Quote
It's an old design, and no one wants to carrying something that is not with the times when they're wanting to be the utter definition of living the tactical life.

It's heavier then modern polymers. To those that have bad backs due to an illness, injuries, or from wounds, this is an actual concern. From those that are not wearing the proper belts and are fit, for all concealed and not concealed carry, they created their own problem by not using the right tools for the job at hand.

It doesn't have a high enough capacity. Some folks actually have badges and need the capacity while others who confuse being armed as direct action and don't have badges, fail to realize that their EDC is for self defense only when instead they want to be able to take on a cell of ISIS and say not today.

1911's can be picky from certain rounds of defensive ammunition. They can also be even pickier when users are using under powered factory ball ammunition or from reloaders wanting to make mouse farts so they can stay being cheap that are feeding ammunition into a handgun whose slide was designed to be fed from it's magazine at a certain slide velocity and the ammunition is not in spec...or they stink at figuring out the right OAL from the manuals.

Some don't like the idea of having anything over $500 being taken from them as evidence should the SHTF. That I can understand, but not everyone thinks that way despite the clenched teeth preaching's from those that cannot accept anyone that is wanting to do that.

Some just don't like the main caliber it is known for mainly, because it is not with their tactical life subscription times and is mainly not being used with our special forces whom they also like to point these things out with their arguments (yet all the ones saying this are not special forces, big time mall ninja radar alert). They call us dinosaurs that like it, yet their modern polymer shoots an even older cartridge so go figure.

Thankfully I like them all and am open ninded over what I carry and not limiting myself. I carry SA 1911's and polymer DA/SA and strikers in both .45 ACP and 9x19. I have no derangement's to what others that like what I do not.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my 1911's for conceal carry. I'm rocking my Dan Wesson Valor 1911 tonight loaded up with 45 Super rounds. People that say that don't like 1911's are usually amateur shooters.
View Quote
In my experience people that need a specific 'grip angle' or a sensitive single action trigger to shoot accurately and quickly are 'amateur shooters', or, more accurately, hobbyist shooters. Someone who is truly proficient at using handguns and has a mastery of trigger control and sight picture is capable of using anything.

I'm not tooting my own horn, I'm not some national competition champion, but I am capable of shooting DA revolvers, DA/SA pistols, striker fired pistols, and SA pistols and doing it very accurately and quickly with all of them because I have taken some intensive handgun training through my work and I also shoot handguns for recreation.

I say this as someone who is both a firearm enthusiast and carries a handgun for a living. I love my 1911, it is an awesome pistol. It does absolutely nothing a Glock/M&P/Whatever will do just as effectively, except allow you to carry a full size .45 in a slim concealable package. Bottom line is carry what you like and are comfortable with and I do very much agree with that part of your post.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:I'm thinking about getting a Sig 1911 nightmare fastback carry and a shoulder holster as my primary for Winter carry, so i don't think weight will be as much an issue as on the hip.
View Quote

Despite the fact that "all 1911s are unreliable" the only 2 I've ever had problems with were a Kimber with a wore out extractor and a Sig GSR that no matter what I did the screw in the rear sight wouldn't stay in and the pin that held the external extractor in kept coming out. In my (fairly limited) experience with 1911s it seems like the further that manufactures stray from the original design the less reliable they become.

Quoted:
In my experience people that need a specific 'grip angle' or a sensitive single action trigger to shoot accurately and quickly are 'amateur shooters', or, more accurately, hobbyist shooters. Someone who is truly proficient at using handguns and has a mastery of trigger control and sight picture is capable of using anything.
View Quote

I've never really understood the whole Glock doesn't shoot right because of the grip angle thing. Don't they have about the same grip angle as a 1911? The same thing with triggers, Glocks don't have a good trigger on them, but that doesn't make them impossible to shoot. Once you learn how to shoot a double action revolver fast and accurate other triggers don't bother you, no matter how staple gun like they are.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
In addition to some 1911s not reliably feeding hollow points, they are sensitive to low quality magazines and to magazine feed lip damage.  I have also seen them FTF and malfunction in IDPA matches from incorrect recoil springs and binding full length guide rods.   Those are
issues that can be dealt with.  If I were to carry a 1911, I would carry only with Tripp Cobra mags and with a standard recoil spring setup.

I do not like SA autos for carry because I do not want to have to manually sweep the safety off while drawing (1911 carried Condition 1).  Drawing and focusing on the front sight is hard enough already, so I prefer a DA/SA with decocker and a DA first round or a striker-fired handgun.  

I also do not want to limit myself to nine rounds (8 + 1).   I am not looking for trouble, but given the way I shoot, I do not feel comfortable with a single stack.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Sig Nightmare fastback in 357 sig, but prefer to carry a Sig p239 in the same caliber.
For me as someone before said, it's having to sweep the safety when drawing that I find cumbersome.
In an emergency(stressful) situation, I can see forgetting that little step and creating more trouble for myself.
Having said that, because of the design of the 357 sig, I've had no problems with feeding anything.
I keep Underwood for personal defense, and it's a bit "snappy" in both the P239 and Nightmare, although more so in the P239.
I must admit though, if I trained more and got used to drawing and snapping off the safety, I think I'd rather carry the nightmare.
The feel of a 1911 in the hand is just so natural for point and shoot. One thing that I found for correcting consistently shooting off the same way, is to get some diagnostic targets.
I was holding too tight with my off hand, and causing me to pull a bit upon firing. The diagnostic target, in my case, hit the nail on the head, and being cognizant of my grip has helped get me back to the center of the target.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't gef to the range as often as I would like to, so I purchased the Mantis X training system.  I think the money spent on it will be better served than sending lead downrange and trying to figure out adjustments;  and I can use it on multiple pistols.

I only shoot pistols in their stock configuration and with factory ammunition. The sweeping off the safety I can see being an issue if I'm switching between a a striker P320 and the 1911.  Does anyone have this issue?  Is it better to stick with one style year-round?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO the worst part about 1911 for CCW is their size. Harder to conceal in most situations.

The only time I ever carried them was in the winter under a jacket.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Bottom line, a gun designed in the early 1900's using heavier materials is not gonna be the ideal carry choice compared to modern alternatives.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]
This is just my 0.02$ worth. The 1911 is fine for a CCW if you understand that it will take more time and practice to be efficient with it than a modern weapon. If your idea is to buy a gun and not spend lots of range time with it then the 1911 is not for you. For range time I actually mean running drills not just standing in a lane pulling a trigger.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is just my 0.02$ worth. The 1911 is fine for a CCW if you understand that it will take more time and practice to be efficient with it than a modern weapon. If your idea is to buy a gun and not spend lots of range time with it then the 1911 is not for you. For range time I actually mean running drills not just standing in a lane pulling a trigger.
View Quote
My 1911 has survived Gunsite numerous times, so that pretty much kills the standing still in a lane part narrative.

And I've seen plenty of modern stuff being shot in a lane, standing still.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I will occasionally carry my Colt Combat Commander.  I am always amazed how slim it is!  Very comfortable to carry.  But, I normally carry full size CZ75, which are wide.  Occasionally I carry a CZ97, which is even larger.

Capacity is subjective, IMO.  Stats say the average gunfight is over in 2-3 shots.  But, then you see some of these mass shootings or the terror attacks, and I don't think the days when I have my CZ75 with two 16 rnd mags is enough!

Reliability.  Well, if you're carrying a gun that you know malfunctions....that's all on you, right?  Practice with it often, know what ammo it prefers, keep it and its associated gear maintained, and it will be just fine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#17]
If you drove a model t to work, go for it.

Not my first choice,  but still beats walking
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#18]
1911s are my favorite pistols by far.  Mine probably see more use than all of my other handguns combined.  I shoot them better than any other type of handgun.

I do not CCW a 1911, but that is only because of size and weight considerations.  I would trust my 1911s as a CCW, they are well vetted and quite reliable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#20]
you need a good belt, designed for CCW . . . not some floppy walmart belt

you need a good IWB rig.

a quality well tuned 1911, with quality mags is a very reliable weapon, not hard to CCW if done right.

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you all for the replies and insight.  A 1911 is on my list of wants, when I have the cash saved up, but for now it seems the sensible thing to do is stick with the P320.  The polymer pistols are great; however I have an itch for a metal frame (I'd carry my Smith-Wesson TRR8 if it was in any way practical.).
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I carry a full size 1911 or Glock 17 regularly and OWB at that. It's very easy with a good holster and belt. Your clothing options will mostly be dictated by your build. If the 1911 fits your needs, then carry without reservation. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Honestly I'm not in as great of shape as I used to be.  I'm 5' 7" and about 185 lbs...used to be 155 when I was active duty and working out regularly.  I'm getting back into it to try to lose the weight, but right now I have a gut and some love handles.  Money is tight at the moment so I'd rather not spend money on new pants--owb is more comfortable anyway, and I'd like a shoulder holster, but I wonder if a leather shoulder holster in the summer is going to make me sweat a lot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Honestly I'm not in as great of shape as I used to be.  I'm 5' 7" and about 185 lbs...used to be 155 when I was active duty and working out regularly.  I'm getting back into it to try to lose the weight, but right now I have a gut and some love handles.  Money is tight at the moment so I'd rather not spend money on new pants--owb is more comfortable anyway, and I'd like a shoulder holster, but I wonder if a leather shoulder holster in the summer is going to make me sweat a lot.
View Quote
Have you carried with a shoulder holster before? I don't like it as it is too slow to draw from my experiences and I think it could be a very bad idea.

Galco makes excellent OWB holsters for the 1911. Have you looked at that option?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
in florida? do you wear giant bowling or hawaiin shirts? I think I could hide a 17 but I don't know about a 1911 in the summer, although I never tried it
View Quote

I wear button down flat hem shirts in my regular size. The 1911 conceals just as easily as the Glock 17. I have a TT Gunleather belt and a Raven Phantom holster. The key is to carry at about 3:30 with a near zero cant holster. I'm 5' 11" 265 and all my extra weight is around my midsection. If I had a thinner waist, it would be even easier as my shoulders would be broader than my waist and shirts would hang better. I still have no issues.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The unreliable reputation comes from the 1911 feed ramp.  Holow points can hang up on the relatively steep 1911 feed ramp causing feed issues.  But with proper ammo selection this can be avoided.  

But I disagree about capacity.  Carry as much as possible of good self defense ammo aka 9 40 45.
View Quote

I disagree about ammo selection, a good quality mag & a well running 1911 and your good to go.

There's no voodoo to a 1911 if its not working fix it, or get it fix by a confident gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I love my 1911's for conceal carry. I'm rocking my Dan Wesson Valor 1911 tonight loaded up with 45 Super rounds. People that say that don't like 1911's are usually amateur shooters. A lot of 1911's out of the box have issues and need to be tuned properly. I generally wouldn't recommend a 1911 for a new shooter. I mean it's complicated with a thumb safety and grip safety and external hammer and needs proper maintenance often, and the 45 kicks like a mule for most, and if you miss you don't have a lot of extra rounds. Of course if I meet anyone that used one in combat they can't say enough good things about it. 

For new shooters I tell them to get a Glock 19 9mm hands down. Easy to use, reliable out of the box, low maintenance, less recoil, more rounds, lighter gun. There's a reason the Glock 19 is so popular. 

I wouldn't feel under-gunned with either one. I often bounce back and forth between these two guns. But at the end of the day I prefer the 1911. 

My buddy who has been in Law Enforcement for decades, always carried and loved the Glock 17, now conceal carries the Glock 21 and loves it. I can't believe he can conceal that huge brick of a gun comfortably. But hey I can't argue with 13 rounds of 45acp either. And Glock's are more reliable than 1911's. So it's a very solid choice. I could see using it as a duty gun, but it's just not for me for conceal carry. 1911's just conceal carry so much better. And for self defense I doubt you need more than a few rounds of 45acp. The S&W Shield 45acp looks like a great conceal carry piece also. Of course you can't shoot 45 Super through it, ha 
View Quote

I carry Glocks most of the time, but my 1911 are 100% reliable all the time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have you carried with a shoulder holster before? I don't like it as it is too slow to draw from my experiences and I think it could be a very bad idea.

Galco makes excellent OWB holsters for the 1911. Have you looked at that option?
View Quote

My only experience carrying was about 8 years ago with a Glock 26 iwb--I never could get it to be comfortable, plus I didn't get new clothes to accommodate. I got a job in MD so I was there up until now. I have the same job but just moved to PA, so for all intents and purposes I'm a complete newbie to CCW.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My only experience carrying was about 8 years ago with a Glock 26 iwb--I never could get it to be comfortable, plus I didn't get new clothes to accommodate. I got a job in MD so I was there up until now. I have the same job but just moved to PA, so for all intents and purposes I'm a complete newbie to CCW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pants, belt, holster, all three is what should be taken for consideration as well as ease of concealing ability, retention, and drawing ease when carrying.

Just curious, but what holster were you using and how were you carrying it? I'm a 34" waist and have to buy 36" pants. I use Galco and Bladetech for OWB, and Alien Gear, Don Hume, Galco, and Stealthgear for my IWB. carrying as much as I have been doing I was quick to learn that waist size, the right belt designed for carrying, and holster selection for how I carry mattered a lot. It also will not be cheap as we'd wish it could be but it all adds up to money well spent when you trial it out and do some actual drills with the combination.

Have you thought about taking a class to see the finer points being discussed?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pants, belt, holster, all three is what should be taken for consideration as well as ease of concealing ability, retention, and drawing ease when carrying.

Just curious, but what holster were you using and how were you carrying it? I'm a 34" waist and have to buy 36" pants. I use Galco and Bladetech for OWB, and Alien Gear, Don Hume, Galco, and Stealthgear for my IWB. carrying as much as I have been doing I was quick to learn that waist size, the right belt designed for carrying, and holster selection for how I carry mattered a lot. It also will not be cheap as we'd wish it could be but it all adds up to money well spent when you trial it out and do some actual drills with the combination.

Have you thought about taking a class to see the finer points being discussed?
View Quote

I was using a Galco iwb... I forget the particular model, but it was a 0 cant one.  When I didn't like that I switched to a SERPA owb, but I had just a regular belt.  Right now I just have the Sig P320 Compact and awaiting the arrival of a Bravo Concealment owb.  As far as belts go I have not picked one out for ccw yet, though I am thinking about a 5.11 one.  I cannot carry most of the time since it is not allowed at my job (Federal building) in MD.  

One other thing though is that my car has the bucket seats so that is why I have an interest in a shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was using a Galco iwb... I forget the particular model, but it was a 0 cant one.  When I didn't like that I switched to a SERPA owb, but I had just a regular belt.  Right now I just have the Sig P320 Compact and awaiting the arrival of a Bravo Concealment owb.  As far as belts go I have not picked one out for ccw yet, though I am thinking about a 5.11 one.  I cannot carry most of the time since it is not allowed at my job (Federal building) in MD.  

One other thing though is that my car has the bucket seats so that is why I have an interest in a shoulder holster.
View Quote
I'm using a Wilderness Tactical. I have no experiences with 5.11 belts, hopefully someone else does and can chime in with a helpful review for you.

Have you thought of using appendix carrying because of those bucket seats? I cannot carry appendix as it's not suited for everybody, maybe you might have some luck with it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm using a Wilderness Tactical. I have no experiences with 5.11 belts, hopefully someone else does and can chime in with a helpful review for you.

Have you thought of using appendix carrying because of those bucket seats? I cannot carry appendix as it's not suited for everybody, maybe you might have some luck with it.
View Quote

Appendix carry would make me nervous; it is something I would be comfortable doing at this point in time.  Part of my interest in a 1911 was for the thinness of them for a shoulder holster so my arm wouldn't look like a chicken wing and the weight would be distributed through the shoulders and upper back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I occasionally carry a 1911 in a Milt Sparks 60TK. Even though it's a heavy pistol compared to a Glock, the 60TK really carries the pistol well. I also have a Milt Sparks D4C magazine pouch that works well for carrying spares(which you definitely should with a 1911). Unless your belly is bigger around than your chest a t-shirt will easily cover it.

As far as belts go I'm using a 6 year old(or older) Wilderness Frequent Flier with the reinforcement. Excellent belt carries the weight of a 1911 and two spare mags easily. I also recently was given a DeSantis Econobelt and have been quite pleased with the performance for the extremely low cost of entry. It's a pretty casual belt but not as tacticool as a Wilderness or any of the current flavors of the month(Aries or any of the Cobra buckled belts out there). Aker makes a really nice, inexpensive belt that looks sharp and holds anything the instructor belt will.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#36]
After reading the thread in GD where he didn't have the grip safety fully depressed I'm thinking maybe they aren't such a good idea. I know you've run 1911's through 20 different classes and never had a problem. A SD situation is not the same thing - use whatever you want, I'll pass. I still like them as a range gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
After reading the thread in GD where he didn't have the grip safety fully depressed I'm thinking maybe they aren't such a good idea. I know you've run 1911's through 20 different classes and never had a problem. A SD situation is not the same thing - use whatever you want, I'll pass. I still like them as a range gun.
View Quote

Is there a difference between a 1911 grip safety and the XD (which seems to be a fairly common carry choice) grip safety?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Is there a difference between a 1911 grip safety and the XD (which seems to be a fairly common carry choice) grip safety?
View Quote
Some of the major proponents of the 1911 had the grip safety pinned, And at that angle he was shooting from, even polymer striker's have jammed or not fired at all. The Cottonwood Walmart incident comes to mind right now with a G22 that stayed out of battery.

Murphy has a way of going against the narratives that some people push.

OP, if you like having a slim handgun for EDC, try the Shield.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a Kimer TLE R/L and I have no question it is reliable. 

Why would I want to limit myself to 9 rounds when I can carry 16 9MM?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#40]
The 1911 makes a better bludgeoning weapon.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Go against the grain, buy one, and something else in .40 just to make the Glock 9mm crowd hate you
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a Kimer TLE R/L and I have no question it is reliable. 

Why would I want to limit myself to 9 rounds when I can carry 16 9MM?
View Quote

I have a Kimber & trust it 100%
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Go against the grain, buy one, and something else in .40 just to make the Glock 9mm crowd hate you
View Quote

I was interested in the Sig Nightmare Fastback in 357 Sig; i wish they made it in the carry size though.

I still might get it, but i saw Sig has  a 25 or 28 oz one (scorpion carry or spartan) and a Dan Wesson in that range too.  I've been wanting something other than a polymer pistol for a change, but it has to serve a purpose.  I got rid of a bunch of pistols, rifles  and my only shotgun that were sitting around collecting dust.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was interested in the Sig Nightmare Fastback in 357 Sig; i wish they made it in the carry size though.

I still might get it, but i saw Sig has  a 25 or 28 oz one (scorpion carry or spartan) and a Dan Wesson in that range too.  I've been wanting something other than a polymer pistol for a change, but it has to serve a purpose.  I got rid of a bunch of pistols, rifles  and my only shotgun that were sitting around collecting dust.
View Quote

For carry on a daily basis, i think you'll be better off with the latter lighter options.  But I carry 3 o'clock on the waste, winter time owb with this galco.  I've never tried shoulder carry.  This is Ruger's LW version and weighs a little over 29oz unloaded.  Iwb in the summer or owb, it's easy to do all day long.  Sig builds some of the nicest looking 1911's imo, post some pics if you get it, more 1911 porn is always better!!

my camera skills suck
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#45]
A lot of the reliability myth is because home gunsmiths (and some professional ones) try to make a military sidearm into a target pistol.
The capacity issue was solved decades ago if that really bothers someone.  My Para Ordinance  P-12 holds 12+1.

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I like 1911s, and carry one quite often, but I also carry other guns, poly wonders included.

I find a 1911 to be very flat, and easy to conceal, especially the more abbreviated versions. Commander, CCO, etc. Capacity is not a big issue for me, but may be for others of course.

If you are carrying a 1911 that works, no matter the brand, I consider you well armed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I go back and forth between my 1911 and Glock for EDC, I prefer to carry in leather OWB.  The Glock is a little lighter, but carrying a spare mag for the Glock is a lot thicker.  Much easier to carry a spare 1911 mag.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
carrying a spare mag for the Glock is a lot thicker.  Much easier to carry a spare 1911 mag.
View Quote
and you'll need to, to match that Glock's capacity
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#49]
My first ccw handgun was a Kimber Compact CDP.  It has a 4" barrel and aluminum, officer's frame.  It conceals and carries well in a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion with a spare magazine.  The trigger is great.

I bought it in 2001 when the assault weapons ban prevented me from buying anything more than a 10 rd magazine.  At the time, the single-stack 9mm landscape was much different, and bullet technology wasn't what it is today.  I didn't see a big benefit going to a double stack 10+1 in 9mm vs. my Kimber's 7+1 in .45.

Mine is 100% reliable, and I carry it with confidence.  Are there more and better options today?  Yes.  Would I buy it again today for a ccw role?  Probably not.  Have I sold it for something else?  No, it's still very serviceable.

It is still used as my ccw unless I have to be extra discreet.  That role is fulfilled by my S&W Airweight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My first ccw handgun was a Kimber Compact CDP.  It has a 4" barrel and aluminum, officer's frame.  It conceals and carries well in a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion with a spare magazine.  The trigger is great.

I bought it in 2001 when the assault weapons ban prevented me from buying anything more than a 10 rd magazine.  At the time, the single-stack 9mm landscape was much different, and bullet technology wasn't what it is today.  I didn't see a big benefit going to a double stack 10+1 in 9mm vs. my Kimber's 7+1 in .45.

Mine is 100% reliable, and I carry it with confidence.  Are there more and better options today?  Yes.  Would I buy it again today for a ccw role?  Probably not.  Have I sold it for something else?  No, it's still very serviceable.

It is still used as my ccw unless I have to be extra discreet.  That role is fulfilled by my S&W Airweight.
View Quote

Would it be correct to say that it is a matter of capacity for you then?  It is my perception that 8+1 is more than enough 99.9% of the time.  You could come up with scenarios where 100 rounds won't be enough.  I don't go to any areas where a flash mob will happen and I avoid any shady areas.  It's impossible to be 100% prepared 100% of the time.  If i ever have to go somewhere that i think I'll need more than 16 rounds then a pistol is not what I'm going to take.

ETA:  I'm not trying to argue or pursuade, just sharing my philosophy on the matter as to why I'm comfortable with 8+1.  I would carry a spare mag in case of a magazine issue rather than running out of ammo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top