Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2016 9:43:29 AM EDT
Hey guys, new to carrying and had a question regarding preference.  I work that is a little more stiff than business casual - typically slacks, dress shirt and tie.  Bc of this i have been leaning towards the LCP II for pocket carry.  I carry around a big a** phone all day, so i figured this would be close to size and shape in my pocket.

I wanted to ask the guys more experienced out there to make sure i'm not missing something - should i look more into an IWB carry like a glock 43?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same situations as you. I tried a lot of different options and have been carrying an LCP in a Desantis Superfly pocket holster. The Superfly comes with a flap that velcros onto the holster which makes it look like you are carrying a wallet. It's absolutely perfect for me. The pants that I wear have deep pockets so if your dress pants have small pockets then this holster will not work. Let me know if you have any questions.

Desantis Superfly
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
For the way you are dressing then pocket carry sounds the best. I wear long sleeve FR with jeans so my shirt is thicker so I am able to carry an M&P compact in one of these http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html You may want to give it a try if you want to carry something bigger than an LCP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the same situations as you. I tried a lot of different options and have been carrying an LCP in a Desantis Superfly pocket holster. The Superfly comes with a flap that velcros onto the holster which makes it look like you are carrying a wallet. It's absolutely perfect for me. The pants that I wear have deep pockets so if your dress pants have small pockets then this holster will not work. Let me know if you have any questions.

Desantis Superfly
View Quote

After about 5 or 6 years my Desantis wore out. I went to Reno to get a replacement and couldn't find one. I ended up finding a Remora and I like it as a pocket holster and it can double as an IWB. Not tier one but neither am I.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a m&p bodyguard in my front pocket everyday in a de saints holster.  I used to keep my cell phone there now the phones goes to the back pocket. I also carry my wallet in my other front pocket.  Always have. I even carry my bodyguard in my pocket when I'm carrying another iwb pistol usally a 1911. My bodyguard is like my wallet.  Wake up in the am put it in my pocket.  Take it out before bed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Pocket carry for you sounds best.  The LCP II got some good remarks from a coworker who pocket carries one every day at work
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Carry is dictated by dress. Pocket carry seems fairly appropriate although the draw is awkward for me.

You could explore underarm carry with a Pistolwear or Kangaroo Carry rig. I've been meaning to try one of those but haven't got around to it. They look like they'd be great for dress shirt carry.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#7]
LCP II. I say it because I have the LCP Custom and it simply is too easy to disappear meaning unnoticeable even in the slacks that professionals wear. When I can get away with it in the milder weather I use the Shield and carry it IWB.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I also work in an office and have to dress professional. I'm a big fan of IWB but since I wear a jacket over it's not an issue. I carry a shield 40. Maybe move it to your laptop bag or backpack once in the office? I do that sometimes in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Both
I carry a Kahr PM9 in my right front pocket and a H&K P30sk Appendix-IWB
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Pocket carry doesn't work for me at all unless I'm in scrubs or my running shorts.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
An LCP in my pocket is one of the few guns that works for me in my typical jeans or dockers dress.  For my way of life, anything more just really isn't worth my time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I am a huge fan of pocket carry it certainly limits the size and capacity of the gun, but allows you to carry in almost any attire and any weather ( carried my seecamp in swim trunks no shirt etc
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Honestly you may have to try both for your body type.  If I were to pocket carry a LCP in slacks it would print like crazy...

As much as I despise ankle carry, with a tucked-in dress shirt that would probably be my choice for carry in that wardrobe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Pocket carry works and is super convenient. But, it sucks having a piece of steel jammed in your pocket all day.  I'm transitioning to IWB as soon as my stealthgear arrives, with a G42.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]
pocket carry for me. In a DeSantis pocket holster of course.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I pocket carry every week day - jeans or slacks. LCP Custom in the right front mocket and spare mag in the left pocket. I currently run the desantis pocket holster, but there are better pocket holsters out there. I'd suggest ditching the pinky grip mag base plate as soon as you can. Keep it for range or spare mag, but the mag in the gun needs to be without a pinky extension. That's the part that prints the most for me.
Oh yeah, the custom's sites tend to snag on the soft pocket holsters - I'm looking for a decent leather pocket holster now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#17]
IWB never worked for me in the office.  Best solution I found with similar attire was a Desantis Die Hard Ankle Rig Holster.  Well made and very comfortable.
Can accommodate a larger gun this way too.  I had a Colt Defender down there, that was a bit heavy.  Then went to an XDS 45.  Perfect.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I use Mika's Pocket Holster's for two of my revolvers when I'm in a hurry. They work great. Great customer service with not bad turn around time. This retired cop is busy making pocket holsters!

https://mikaspocketholsters.com/
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey guys, new to carrying and had a question regarding preference.  I work that is a little more stiff than business casual - typically slacks, dress shirt and tie.  Bc of this i have been leaning towards the LCP II for pocket carry.  I carry around a big a** phone all day, so i figured this would be close to size and shape in my pocket.

I wanted to ask the guys more experienced out there to make sure i'm not missing something - should i look more into an IWB carry like a glock 43?
Thanks
View Quote

I work in a similar capacity, not always a tie, but as a supervisor I often wear button-up and slacks with steel toe boots. I do IWB and cover the clips with a phone on my belt, or I go with a vest that covers the clips. I cannot afford to be caught, so often I have to leave it in the car. You could also consider a daytimer-carry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Both.

J frame in a Mika pocket holster.

Glock, 21, 43, 19, 34, IWB

Mika

IWB Glock 43
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you thought about Tuck-able IWB holsters? It can be a good solution if you can get away with a small clip on your belt. The only reason I say that is because in my experience pocket carry is slow and awkward to draw. My alternate carry is a S&W Model 37 in a Safariland pocket holster and I must admit it's not my favorite mode of carry but it is super low profile.  Even tucked IWB will be significantly faster.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you thought about Tuck-able IWB holsters? It can be a good solution if you can get away with a small clip on your belt. The only reason I say that is because in my experience pocket carry is slow and awkward to draw. My alternate carry is a S&W Model 37 in a Safariland pocket holster and I must admit it's not my favorite mode of carry but it is super low profile.  Even tucked IWB will be significantly faster.
View Quote
You are correct that pocket carry can be slow.

However it is only slow with tight pockets.

To maximize efficiency of pocket carry the pocket itself has to be large enough for you to get a full grip on the revolver while in the pocket and cleanly draw.

The only thing left to do once the roscoe clears your pocket is to get finger on trigger and gun on target.

Duluth Trading Co. USA made jeans has the pockets you seek.

Otherwise have your pockets enlarged at an alteration shop to fit your needs.

The result is the ability to deploy a firearm faster than any holster carried piece because you can have your hand on the gun without "drawing" any attention to yourself.

Depending on the situation the IWB or the pocket carry could end up being the primary firearm and the other the backup.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd recommend pocket carry for easy daily carry. I can always at the least pocket carry my Ruger LCP II 380acp with FMJ's. Super easy to carry. I have a pocket 9mm and J-frame 38 Special, but they need deeper pockets and you know it's there because they are larger and heavier. Little 380 you don't even realize it's there. IWB is great as you can carry a larger caliber gun like a Shield 45. Still hides easy, but I'm a little more self conscious because it prints a little. While a pocket gun just looks like a wallet. Of course with  a jacket I'll carry a full size gun OWB no problem, hides so well, haha
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I back pocket carried a p3at for 10 years.  Now I care a g42 aiwb everyday .  So much better.  I tuck my shirt in and it disappears.  I drive a lot and seated it is much more comfortable.  I do pocket carry some on weekends, but in jeans or slacks the pocket size makes draw slow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Sticky Holster for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Appendix carry would be the option you would want to look at for the dress you are wearing.  

Check out these clips.  These would allow you to have the holster in your pants and no belt clips showing.
https://www.ulticlip.com/
Good video that shows the clips.
BEST Method to Carry Concealed + Bonus: appendix carry with tucked in shirt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top