Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 1:08:30 PM EDT
Is anyone else concerned about the LCP II's lack of a firing pin block, given that it is a  single action only pistol?  

While the trigger is greatly improved over the original LCP I've got some concerns about this firearm. Since it is single action only, if the gun is dropped or is jarred the hammer could fall and set off a round without the trigger being pulled. I looked at this as an option to carry while running, however people trip and falls happen, and the lack of firing pin block raises some concerns.  Also since it is marketed as a pocket or purse pistol, the likelihood of it being dropped or falling out is higher than with other firearms.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry LCP II AIWB and have no concerns with this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no expert and have never handled one. I too have some questions before I buy one.

From reviews I've read, it has a visible cocked "hammer" that can be seen inside the slide to determine if the action has been cycled.
A Kel-Tec P3AT has a hammer block that doesn't allow the hammer to contact the firing pin until the long trigger pull draws the hammer fully rear-ward.
Does the original LCP .380 have a similar hammer block?
If the LCP II hammer remains rearward when a round is chambered, is the trigger bar the only safety mechanism?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Since Ruger prints a legal disclaimer on their guns telling you to read a manual written by a committee of lawyers...I'm thinking

that they do not think it will go off if dropped from the ISS.

(edited for speeling and gramer)
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not interested in opinions, owner's anecdotal lack of concerns or disclaimers. Just a full technical explanation of the LCP II safety designs.
I looked at Ruger's website description of the LCP II (in addition to several well known reviewers writings) and didn't find answers to my questions.
I wonder if the trigger bar safety is the only safety or if there is any other safety engineering involved.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The firing pin has a spring to prevent the FP from just striking a primer in a fall, the hammer is shrouded by the slide so it cannot be forced down on the FP, and the long DA trigger all this combined I really do not think it needs a striker block but if you are not comfortable carrying it without a striker block look at the G42 or Bodyguard.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not interested in opinions, owner's anecdotal lack of concerns or disclaimers. Just a full technical explanation of the LCP II safety designs.
I looked at Ruger's website description of the LCP II (in addition to several well known reviewers writings) and didn't find answers to my questions.
I wonder if the trigger bar safety is the only safety or if there is any other safety engineering involved.
View Quote

I spoke with Ruger's customer service and consulted the owners manual.  

The only safety the LCP II has is the trigger bar safety. Ruger recommends that the firearm not be carried with one in the chamber "because while drop tested, it is a mechanical device that could fail."  In addition the representative said "I carry one without a round in the chamber, if I ever need it, I'll have the 3 seconds needed to chamber a round."  I was pretty shocked by his quote.

For a range gun a firing pin block isn't necessary, but for a gun that is marketed as a pocket pistol, Ruger has created an accident waiting to happen.  I am sure their are thousands of owners out there that will disregard Ruger's recommendation, but when the first one malfunctions they are looking at an expensive lawsuit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info gsmars. I have been looking for solid info on the LCP II.
I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info gsmars. I have been looking for solid info on the LCP II.
I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
View Quote

You didn't hijack the thread, this is the exact type of discussion I was looking for.  I made an impulse purchase due to the sale price of the LCP II without doing enough research.  

I dont want others to fall into the same trap and make an uniformed decision by thinking they are buying something that is safe to carry when I think most people would agree it is not.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I spoke with Ruger's customer service and consulted the owners manual.  

The only safety the LCP II has is the trigger bar safety. Ruger recommends that the firearm not be carried with one in the chamber "because while drop tested, it is a mechanical device that could fail."  In addition the representative said "I carry one without a round in the chamber, if I ever need it, I'll have the 3 seconds needed to chamber a round." I was pretty shocked by his quote.

For a range gun a firing pin block isn't necessary, but for a gun that is marketed as a pocket pistol, Ruger has created an accident waiting to happen.  I am sure their are thousands of owners out there that will disregard Ruger's recommendation, but when the first one malfunctions they are looking at an expensive lawsuit.
View Quote

There is a lot of potential fail in that comment by Ruger CS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this an issue with the standard LCP? Dont see how it could being DAO
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is this an issue with the standard LCP? Dont see how it could being DAO
View Quote

It's not a true DAO.  It's half cocked like some strikers.

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The ruger response was a bit tarded but that's ruger for you.

Anyhow, I would ask how much experience y'all have with the transfer bar system?

If you're not familiar with it the hammer has a relief cut that can not physically touch the firing pin. Until the trigger pull lifts a bar up into the gap. The force of the falling hammer then slams the bar (which floats a little) into the pin and fires the weapon.

It's been used on their revolvers for a long time and is very safe.

A firing pin block would be redundant at that point since you already have a safety that depends on an intentional trigger pull.

The ruger rep should have explained that better.

You could put a vaquero in a vise. Cock the hammer, then bash that hammer with an actual hammer and nothing would happen.

Carry with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anyhow, I would ask how much experience y'all have with the transfer bar system?

If you're not familiar with it the hammer has a relief cut that can not physically touch the firing pin. Until the trigger pull lifts a bar up into the gap. The force of the falling hammer then slams the bar (which floats a little) into the pin and fires the weapon.

A firing pin block would be redundant at that point since you already have a safety that depends on an intentional trigger pull.

You could put a vaquero in a vise. Cock the hammer, then bash that hammer with an actual hammer and nothing would happen.

Carry with confidence.
View Quote

The post is about the LCP II, not the LCR revolver.

I don't have the LCP II, but I do have a regular LCP.  It also has no firing pin safety, but being only partially cocked I seriously doubt that if the hammer slipped off the sear it would have enough energy to ignite a primer.  If the LCP II uses the same design I can see it being a potential issue since the LCP II is essentially a single action.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Different size, different shape, same operation. A transfer bar is a transfer bar and is perfectly safe. The differences in how it's moved into position are mute. The point is that the firing pin can not move without it and is just as effective (if not more so) than a firing pin block.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Different size, different shape, same operation. A transfer bar is a transfer bar and is perfectly safe. The differences in how it's moved into position are mute. The point is that the firing pin can not move without it and is just as effective (if not more so) than a firing pin block.
View Quote

The LCP II does not have a transfer bar. It's a single action only pistol with nothing to prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin other than the sear. It is fully cocked, not half cocked, like the original LCP. Look at page 27 & 28  of the manual that show the parts schematic. The only safety the pistol has is the safety on the middle of the trigger which does nothing if the firearm is dropped and the sear slips.

This is not a safe pistol for the method of carry that it is advertised, and Ruger knows it. The manufacturer has acknowledged it is unsafe to carry their product with a round chambered.

When the first guy trips and falls, and the sear slips and he loses a chunk of his junk you "carry with confidence" guys will be singing a different tune.

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#16]
It would be helpful to keep track of the actual pistol discussed and refer to the actual parts schematic.

The OP asked about the Ruger LCP II.  Parts schematic:

Nomenclature key:

Looking at the parts schematic and understanding the machinery leads me to believe one thing.  The only device keeping a fully cocked hammer at full cock is the sear holding the hammer.  There is no firing pin block nor anything like it.  The trigger "Glock" safety is the only thing preventing the sear from being disengaged.

My 43 and Shield both have obvious firing pin blocks and the Glock system using a piece of the frame as a drop safety shelf to prevent the trigger bar from moving down and disengaging from the striker when the trigger is forward are obvious features.  I haven't disassembled the Shield to look for the drop safety shelf, if there is one.  The parts are different inside than the 43.

My LCP-C with the hammer at half cock is scary enough.  I have trouble believing Ruger sent the LCP-II without a drop safety feature.  Lame.

Ruger got stung enough with the cowboy guns that they did put the transfer bar retroactively into the old single actions upon request and standard in new guns.  The worst one I ever knew of was a fool dropped his .44, landed on the hammer on concrete, the slug hit his wife in the pubic bone and exited the vertebra in the back at belt level. Very not good.  DRT.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought it had one . Merry Christmas anyway
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quit depending on shit ty made guns to save your life
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for this post as I was not aware of this issue. Good to know
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Or don't drop your gun. Train your draw, carry with retention and don't fumble around like a moron. If you really need a gun in a particular moment and you drop the fucking thing, you're probably dead anyway.

My 1911 has no drop safety, then again I don't run with it. Maybe a clip draw or something for running, but if you don't trust it, opt for another gun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Carry with confidence.
View Quote

This was our understanding as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Or don't drop your gun. Train your draw, carry with retention and don't fumble around like a moron. If you really need a gun in a particular moment and you drop the fucking thing, you're probably dead anyway.

My 1911 has no drop safety, then again I don't run with it. Maybe a clip draw or something for running, but if you don't trust it, opt for another gun.
View Quote

In the heat of the moment, humans are humans though. Guns can be dropped.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you considered falling? I bet at some point you have hit the ground unexpectedly. The problem with a poorly designed gun like the LCP II is that it increases the chances of an accidental, not negligent, discharge.

Your 1911 provides safety mechanisms that the Ruger LCP II does not. This includes the series 70 1911 that did not have a firing pin block.

1) The  1911's thumb safety physically blocks the sear from moving. The LCP II lacks a thumb safety.

OK so let's say the sear slips when the gun is jarred or dropped and the safety is off.

2) If the sear slips the sear spring with not allow the hammer to fall completley, instead it will fall to the half cocked position and not touch the firing pin.

The reason the firing pin safety was added to the series 80 1911's was out of fear that the firing pin could slam forward if dropped on the muzzle, not because of concerns of the hammer falling.

The LCP II is a bad design and Ruger has admitted it. Let's just hope they recall it before someone disregards their instructions and is injured or killed. Ruger shouldn't market the LCP II as a conceal carry pistol when its unsafe to carry.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#24]
The original LCP apparently had a few instances where it was dropped and the round fired.
So Ruger issued a recall.
My gun was sent in and now has a diamond stamped on the frame to show it's been upgraded.
Supposedly, it is now drop safe.

But, the LCP II has  a completely different trigger.
If they suggest carrying it without a round in the chamber, it's not much of a defensive firearm.

On the other hand, I haven't looked in the original manual.
Wouldn't be surprised if they recommend carrying it with an empty chamber also.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
The Original LCP (later models post recall) had a Titanium firing pin, lighter than a Steel firing pin. Coupled with what I would consider an overly strong firing pin spring, and a very light gun to begin with, the chances of firing pin inertia during a drop causing a round to fire a practically nil IMO.

I suspect this design carried forward to the LCP 2.

Now if you want to make the argument inertia could set off the fully cocked hammer of an LCP 2 I could entertain that. If the hammer has a half cock sear that could mitigate some risk. Also Ruger has been known to use overly heavy trigger Springs which could mitigate the risk further.

Somebody should sacrifice an LCP 2 in the name of science and load it with a primed case and throw it around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag for info. Got one for Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump for info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top