Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2016 11:07:37 PM EDT
I've read LOTS of articles on the pros and cons of conceal carrying a DA/SA pistol with and without the safety on. I carry a Bersa UC Pro 9mm which has a decocker. I've practiced for a long time with the safety (decocker) off but lately I've been trying to retrain myself with the decocker/safety on. Perhaps old habits with old men are hard to break, but I find it somewhat difficult to get used to. So, the question: Is there any real advantage and safety issues carrying this type of pistol with the safety on or off? Thus far, about the only relatively logical argument for using the external safety is if someone should somehow gain access to your weapon, you might have 1-2 seconds to get it back while the BG is trying to figure out how to fire it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't ask us, Please do yourself a favor and get some professional training.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]

My carry gun doesn't even have a safety so that is the answer.  Round in chamber and ready to go or leave it at home.  

Worrying about someone stealing your gun and getting 1-2 seconds shouldn't even be discussed.  You need to worry about having to pull and use your firearm all the while fumbling with the safety while  you get shot.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you say BERSA????

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's how I carry

SAO - safety on round in the chamber

DA/SA with safety - decocked with round in the chamber, safety off

DA/SA without safety - decocked with round in the chamber

DAO and variants there of without safety - round in the chamber

DAO and variants there of with safety - round in the chamber, safety may be on or off depending on the gun (I.E. my LC9 the safety is kept off)
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Safety always off, no matter the gun. The holster covers the trigger, so what are you afraid of? They have internal safeties anyway. External safeties are as useful as having to put your foot on the brake to shift into Drive on a car.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Yxa9IeJEc
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry a XDM so it has the freaking backstrap safety, but once you grab the gun safety off.

Wife carries a Shield that has a safety, she was pissed when I brought it home since she doesn't use a safety (30+ years as an LEO), I think that gun has had the safety set twice in it's life, both times to demonstrate to my family it had one, other than that, condition 1 and always loaded and ready to do it's job.

We both are CCW and both carry everywhere, even at home.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safety always off, no matter the gun. The holster covers the trigger, so what are you afraid of? They have internal safeties anyway. External safeties are as useful as having to put your foot on the brake to shift into Drive on a car.
View Quote

Do you carry 1911s?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have a manual safety it is best to carry with it on at all times and train yourself to disengage after drawing.  The reason for this is in the event of your firearm equipped with a manual safety engages when you then in turn draw but have not trained yourself to disengage you will result in a dead trigger when you need a live trigger.  It is really that simple.  Train with the tool you have and the features on your tool.  If you do not want a manual safety either find a pistol that does not have one or look into if the safety is a removable feature from your firearm as with some pistols they also can be converted to decocker or no safety.  I am not advocating how ever if the safety is a permanent part of the pistol to disable it in someway the manufacture never intended (example XD tape the grip safety or 1911 remove the thumb safety all together).

Also a decocker is NOT a safety it does not deactivate or prevent the trigger from being pressed to fire it merely makes the trigger heavier and takes the pistol out of a single action mode into a double action.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also a decocker is NOT a safety it does not deactivate or prevent the trigger from being pressed to fire it merely makes the trigger heavier and takes the pistol out of a single action mode into a double action.
View Quote

I can't speak for every brand of pistol, but my Bersa Thunder UC Pro's safety/decocker completely disables the trigger. The trigger can be pulled but it is disengaged.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My carry gun doesn't even have a safety so that is the answer.  Round in chamber and ready to go or leave it at home.  

Worrying about someone stealing your gun and getting 1-2 seconds shouldn't even be discussed.  You need to worry about having to pull and use your firearm all the while fumbling with the safety while  you get shot.
View Quote

THIS!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you say BERSA????
View Quote

No, I wrote Bersa.  I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder .380 for her birthday about 4 years ago and she loved it. I really appreciated the quality of the pistol and its reliability so the Bersa Thunder UC Pro 9mm was a natural consideration when I looked for a pistol for myself. But I'm curious why you asked?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you carry 1911s?
View Quote

I don't bother with those, but you can get many models of 1911s with a fp block.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]
What's a safety?

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you have a manual safety it is best to carry with it on at all times and train yourself to disengage after drawing.  The reason for this is in the event of your firearm equipped with a manual safety engages when you then in turn draw but have not trained yourself to disengage you will result in a dead trigger when you need a live trigger.  It is really that simple.  Train with the tool you have and the features on your tool.  If you do not want a manual safety either find a pistol that does not have one or look into if the safety is a removable feature from your firearm as with some pistols they also can be converted to decocker or no safety.  I am not advocating how ever if the safety is a permanent part of the pistol to disable it in someway the manufacture never intended (example XD tape the grip safety or 1911 remove the thumb safety all together).

View Quote

Yeah, IMO, I agree with this.
The concept of the manual thumb "safety" traditionally has been associated with single action pistol designs where the pistol was intended to be carried in a chamber loaded + cocked condition.
But to a certain extent, here in North America, this has become a legacy of the 1911.  The separate thumb safety on this pistol was not part of JMB's original design, but was added at the request of his military clients (U.S. Army; especially the cavalry, if I remember my history correctly.)
JMB's earlier pistol designs had grip safeties which disengaged "automatically".
I can see the argument that the thumb safety may be redundant, but personally, I happen to like the concept as applied to single action designs.  Were I to carry a single action type of pistol, cocked + chamber loaded, I would want and I would use the thumb safety.

I have a team U. S. A. Shooting calendar that features historic firearms.  I remember one 1911 pistol that was carried for years by a famous lawman with the thumb safety "off" AND the grip safety tied down with a leather string around the grip!
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've read LOTS of articles on the pros and cons of conceal carrying a DA/SA pistol with and without the safety on. I carry a Bersa UC Pro 9mm which has a decocker. I've practiced for a long time with the safety (decocker) off but lately I've been trying to retrain myself with the decocker/safety on. Perhaps old habits with old men are hard to break, but I find it somewhat difficult to get used to. So, the question: Is there any real advantage and safety issues carrying this type of pistol with the safety on or off? Thus far, about the only relatively logical argument for using the external safety is if someone should somehow gain access to your weapon, you might have 1-2 seconds to get it back while the BG is trying to figure out how to fire it.
View Quote

I carry Glocks almost all the time.  If it's not a Glock it's a S&W 637 or a DAO Keltec.   I keep it in a good holster and don't finger fuck it when I don't need it.   I've seen too many guys shooting IDPA miss the safety on a 1911  to go back or switch back and forth.  I figure pick one thing and tune the muscle memory well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

IMO, SA pistols are not suitable for CCW, and pistols need to be ready to run when pulled.  Manual safeties will get you killed.  Rounds on target in the first three seconds are what count.

OP rather than rely on articles you read, I suggest you shoot IDPA and/or take a hangun combative class from Tom Givens or Dave Spaulding or someone similar.  See what works for you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Cocked and locked, just like my 1911.  All my handguns are able to operate the same way (except those striker fired guns I put away in the safe for accuracy or reliability issues.)

If I carry a CZ or a Colt, cocked and locked.  Carrying different guns with different methods of functioning isn't a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

To late, he asked.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you carry 1911s?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you carry 1911s?

When I carry my 1911's I carry with the safety on, works fine in USPSA & that's what I consider practice.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]
my every day carry gun  is a p938. 

round in chamber, hammer back, safety on. 

the safety doesn't slow down the draw. and i love the fact that its a single action only trigger. With a thumbs high grip on a p938, your shooting hand thumb naturally rests on top of the safety. so there is no real thought put into the actual disengagement. It is all part of the natural gripping of the firearm on draw. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When I carry my 1911's I carry with the safety on, works fine in USPSA & that's what I consider practice.
View Quote

Delete.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

The same as a revolver...do you not feel safe with a revolver?
OP, please decide & STICK TO that way & train that way.
There was a recent video of some guy in a store that was being robbed & he got his wife to safety while the BG held up the people & then snuck his way up to the robber to engage & couldn't get shots off 1st because he didn't flip the safety off.  Very lucky he wasn't shot or worse.

DON'T BE THAT GUY.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
With a DA/SA gun with a safett, I would carry in DA with the safety off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can't speak for every brand of pistol, but my Bersa Thunder UC Pro's safety/decocker completely disables the trigger. The trigger can be pulled but it is disengaged.
View Quote

Technically speaking it would be considered a trigger deactivation decocker(kind of like the M9/92) not just a decocker.  Decocker mans it drops hammer but trigger should not be deactivated.  Take for instance the 92/M9 the safety deactivates the trigger plus decocks the pistol until the safety is disengaged.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't bother with those, but you can get many models of 1911s with a fp block.
View Quote

Well, yes you can. Would you suggest carrying a 1911 with the safety off?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you carry 1911s?

Oh no doubt. I wasn't arguing that you shouldn't.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well, yes you can. Would you suggest carrying a 1911 with the safety off?
View Quote

Do whatever you want. But the thing isn't going to go off in your holster if you do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Technically speaking it would be considered a trigger deactivation decocker(kind of like the M9/92) not just a decocker.  Decocker mans it drops hammer but trigger should not be deactivated.  Take for instance the 92/M9 the safety deactivates the trigger plus decocks the pistol until the safety is disengaged.
View Quote

What more can I tell you to try and explain how my Bersa works? Rack a round into the chamber and push the decocker lever up and 1) the hammer drops and 2) the trigger is deactivated; you can pull the trigger all the way back and it doesn't do anything. When you push the decocker lever down, then the trigger becomes activated and the pistol is then 'live' as DA.

I'm done!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What more can I tell you to try and explain how my Bersa works? Rack a round into the chamber and push the decocker lever up and 1) the hammer drops and 2) the trigger is deactivated; you can pull the trigger all the way back and it doesn't do anything. When you push the decocker lever down, then the trigger becomes activated and the pistol is then 'live' as DA.

I'm done!
View Quote

That is a safety then not a decocker just like the M9/92 the switch drops the hammer, the trigger can still be pressed nothing happens, and until you switch it to fire the pistol is deactivated but technically that is not a decocker even though it drops the hammer.  In the traditional sense a decocker drops the hammer and the trigger is still active only by DA (92G, CZ 75 Tactical, HK makes variants, Sig P22x).
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#33]
A thumb safety will get you killed. That's some funny stuff right there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Delete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Delete.

I'm very curious to what you wrote.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#35]
If a gun is designed to need a safety for safe operation (ie: SA 1911) then you'd be a fool not to use it.
If a gun is in your hand, and you have control of the trigger, the safety should be off.
If a gun is in your manipulative, but you don't have control of the trigger (ie: slung rifle or handgun in an undie hammock), the safety should be on.
If your gun does not have an external safety that prevents the trigger to be pressed (ie: revolver or Glock) then don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I learned on a 1911 but now carry a Glock.
Typically if my guns have a safety I'll use them. I did with my V1 DA/SA HK USPc9.

A good shooter will know how to properly use many types of pistols and their controls.

I won't tell how how to carry. No clue about your skill level...

I'd say use the safety.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Do whatever you want. But the thing isn't going to go off in your holster if you do.
View Quote

I'm asking what you would recommend to a new shooter who was carrying a 1911
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Guy almost blows off hand with a Gun - at a training day that Bullseye Bishop staff attended.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This.

IMO, SA pistols are not suitable for CCW, and pistols need to be ready to run when pulled.  Manual safeties will get you killed.  Rounds on target in the first three seconds are what count.

OP rather than rely on articles you read, I suggest you shoot IDPA and/or take a hangun combative class from Tom Givens or Dave Spaulding or someone similar.  See what works for you.
View Quote
Manual safeties will not get me killed if it is off safe, meaning on fire and ready to go. That's how I use my Shield. Once the gun is holstered, safety off. When holstering, safety on. Too easy and it will not do it's own thing and move on it's own on me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#40]
If your pistol has a safety, no question you should have the safety on. The only exception being a pistol with a decocker and a safety such as a makarov in which case it would be safe to carry in DA with the safety off.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
ONLY NOVICES ponder this question!
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm asking what you would recommend to a new shooter who was carrying a 1911
View Quote

I would recommend that the new shooter take all the facts into consideration and decide for himself how he wants to carry.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Thank you....couldn't get the youtube link to well, link.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Off

Practice swiping it off anyways
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote

I disagree. Bad manual safeties are a very bad thing but a frame mounted safety like a 1911 is magnificent. I can't get a firing grip on a 1911 without disengaging the safety.

That said all three pistols I own are Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#47]
My thought has always been safety on when hammer back in SA. Or no safety with hammer down in DA. No particular reasoning behind it just seems the most logical way to me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been carrying for over 30 years and all my carry guns have safeties. It's a personal preference. As far as forgetting to swipe the safety off, you all need to practice more!!! I have carried 1911s for over 20 years now and have never ever forgot to swipe the safety off. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
my every day carry gun  is a p938. 

round in chamber, hammer back, safety on. 

the safety doesn't slow down the draw. and i love the fact that its a single action only trigger. With a thumbs high grip on a p938, your shooting hand thumb naturally rests on top of the safety. so there is no real thought put into the actual disengagement. It is all part of the natural gripping of the firearm on draw. 
View Quote

Agree
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top