Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2016 12:32:58 AM EDT
For CCW on a G19, 300 lumens or 800 lumens?  (run time is 2.5 vs 1.75 hrs, cost is $20 more for the HL, bfd)

300 is pretty bright, but if you are bouncing light off the ground 800 seems better.  OTOH, blinding the person so he doesn't know he is about to get shot is a disadvantage as well.  
TLR-1 or TLR-1 HL

ETA, I got the HL, it is very bright.  I still need to do some shooting in the dark to decide if I like it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I went with the 800 lumen HL. I made the right choice.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the TLR-1 HL on my nightime gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
HL if you have a yard of any sort. It's not too bright inside either.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Which do you want shinning back in your eyes when you come up on target and they happen to be in front of a reflective backdrop?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which do you want shinning back in your eyes when you come up on target and they happen to be in front of a reflective backdrop?
View Quote

Neither. But the HL is more well rounded.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you know how to properly use a weapon light that is not a concern.  When you are clearing your house you do not want to point your weapon at everything you see.  Consider this if you hear a bump in the night first thing you do is grab your firearm (rifle, pistol, or shotgun whatever you squeeze is).  If you are clearing your house you are not going to be walking around with your pistol in the ready to pop first thing you see mode.  Why you might ask?  1.  What if the bump is your daughter sneaking back into the house after being out late with her bf, your son getting a late night snack, or your wife taking a late night dump (you do not want to Oscar Pistorius her).  2.  You do not want to walk through an area with blind corners with your firearm fully extended you are asking to get it a struggle over your firearm.

Proper way to clear is illuminate using the momentary with the light aimed at the floor out of your direct line of vision (if you light up in pitch blackness with the hot spot in your direct vision all you will see is a nice purple spot).  The light will still fully illuminate everything you need to see and it prevents you from accidentally muzzle sweeping a loved one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had an HL before..I'll say when coming out of a dead sleep that 800 is brutal on tired eyes.

I'll be going with the standard version next time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both. I choose which one goes depending on how much run time ill need.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Roll with the HL and you wont be sorry. I run those at 3:00 on several of my patrol rifles and they are extremely high intensity which is what you want.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I get that the HL might be the best, but is the regular TLR-1 plenty good enough? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
HL for sure. You don't need to blind yourself.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Love my HL
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I just replaced my TLR1s with the HL. It's worth the extra dollars.  You need all of the lumins. It's impressive.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you know how to properly use a weapon light that is not a concern.  When you are clearing your house you do not want to point your weapon at everything you see.  Consider this if you hear a bump in the night first thing you do is grab your firearm (rifle, pistol, or shotgun whatever you squeeze is).  If you are clearing your house you are not going to be walking around with your pistol in the ready to pop first thing you see mode.  Why you might ask?  1.  What if the bump is your daughter sneaking back into the house after being out late with her bf, your son getting a late night snack, or your wife taking a late night dump (you do not want to Oscar Pistorius her).  2.  You do not want to walk through an area with blind corners with your firearm fully extended you are asking to get it a struggle over your firearm.

Proper way to clear is illuminate using the momentary with the light aimed at the floor out of your direct line of vision (if you light up in pitch blackness with the hot spot in your direct vision all you will see is a nice purple spot).  The light will still fully illuminate everything you need to see and it prevents you from accidentally muzzle sweeping a loved one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I took a low light/ no light class a year ago....i was amazed at how intricate light is and can be used. Super cool stuff.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had an HL before..I'll say when coming out of a dead sleep that 800 is brutal on tired eyes.

View Quote

Imagine the eyes of the fucker you shine those 800 lumens into...

HL is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I get that the HL might be the best, but is the regular TLR-1 plenty good enough? Thanks
View Quote

It's plenty fine.  Anyone who thinks the standard TLR-1 is dim might want to switch out their batteries ;)  yes the HL is brighter but the TLR-1 gets the job done and you can routinely find them for 100 dollars or less. Granted the HL is only about 20 dollars more but you do get decreased battery life (not a huge deal in a weapon light though).  

The TLR-1 is a good light and wont' leave you wanting IMO.  The HL is pretty kick ass too and you can't go wrong with either one.  If you need the 20 dollars for something else the TLR-1 will get the job done.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

HL is the way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HL is the way to go.

True but a home intruder likely won't be coming out of a dead sleep when he sees the light. I think the HL is good for CCW or a duty light. The regular TLR1 is fine for HD IMO.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I go with regular on handguns, HL on long guns.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#20]
No such thing as too bright.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Until you're in a hallway with tile floors and gloss painted walls and pictures with glass fronts in a blackout entry.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Until you're in a hallway with tile floors and gloss painted walls and pictures with glass fronts in a blackout entry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bright isn't the issue there...it's poor home décor at that point....
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:41:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.

As to the OP, if you don't think you need 800 lumens the TLR1 will do you just fine. I run a 500 lumen SF light and even blipping momentary at the baseboards will light up the room. At that point you can move up into someone's face if you need to take their vision away, or just cuss at your kid for being stupid and waking you up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For CCW on a G19, 300 lumens or 800 lumens?  (run time is 2.5 vs 1.75 hrs, cost is $20 more for the HL, bfd)

300 is pretty bright, but if you are bouncing light off the ground 800 seems better.  OTOH, blinding the person so he doesn't know he is about to get shot is a disadvantage as well.  
TLR-1 or TLR-1 HL
View Quote

Well, the HL got here.  It is quite bright.  It might wind up on a rifle.  I am signed up for a class on Sunday and hopefully my holster will get here and we will do some practice in the dark.  If it is too bright, I might wind up with the Surefire XC1.  I don't like how the light extends past the muzzle on the G19.  I suppose a G34 would fix that as well.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well, the HL got here.  It is quite bright.  It might wind up on a rifle.  I am signed up for a class on Sunday and hopefully my holster will get here and we will do some practice in the dark.  If it is too bright, I might wind up with the Surefire XC1.  I don't like how the light extends past the muzzle on the G19.  I suppose a G34 would fix that as well.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TLR-1 or TLR-1 HL

For carry I really like my XC1.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:55:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TLR-1 or TLR-1 HL

Someone in another thread was having issues with their XC1.  I can still put the 'HL on an AR and I am only out a holster. ($53)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/171776_IWB_Carry.html&page=1
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a TLR-1 HL on my shotgun and for my handgun I use a TLR-1s.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone who says there is no such thing as too much light has never tried clearing a building using proper technique (illuminate, move, repeat).  I have had a TLR-1s on my duty pistol for the past 3 years, and recently bought a X-300U to "upgrade".  The first night I cleared a building with it (church with white walls) my night vision was obliterated and I was seeing spots.  I put the TLR back on my duty weapon and the X-300 now lives on my nightstand gun.

For the record I have spent 90% of my law enforcement career on night shift, and have cleared a LOT of buildings.

Just my $.02

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#29]
hl

no reason to get less lumens
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:45:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone who says there is no such thing as too much light has never tried clearing a building using proper technique (illuminate, move, repeat).  I have had a TLR-1s on my duty pistol for the past 3 years, and recently bought a X-300U to "upgrade".  The first night I cleared a building with it (church with white walls) my night vision was obliterated and I was seeing spots.  I put the TLR back on my duty weapon and the X-300 now lives on my nightstand gun.

For the record I have spent 90% of my law enforcement career on night shift, and have cleared a LOT of buildings.

Just my $.02

View Quote

Ahhhh purple spots ..... all I see is purple spots everywhere I think I am hallucinating.

Clearing is never fun especially when all you are seeing is purple spots.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
hl

no reason to get less lumens
View Quote

Blindness and run time?

I feel the regular tlr-1 is perfect. (Tlr-1 owner/armchair commando)
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just my $.02

View Quote

I can agree with the above. The 600 lumen streamlight I have mounted on my rifle is very harsh indoors, especially in very near dark areas where your eyes are already adjusted to the darkness.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just my $.02

View Quote

If it's too bright for duty use when wide awake and alert wouldn't it be way too much coming out of a dead sleep?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If it's too bright for duty use when wide awake and alert wouldn't it be way too much coming out of a dead sleep?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my $.02

My house has dark hardwood throughout, so bouncing light off the floor negates most of the problem.  Additionally I know my homes layout, so I barely have to use the light anyway.

If not for these facts, then the answer would be yes.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
HL if you have a yard of any sort. It's not too bright inside either.
View Quote

Agreed. Its only bright when clearing small bathrooms looking behind shower curtains
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#36]
HL. I have yet to encounter "too much light" on a battery operated device.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ahhhh purple spots ..... all I see is purple spots everywhere I think I am hallucinating.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my $.02

I'm not a cop. If the light is on indoors it's to find the switch or I've found the bad guy and it's being used on him. I'm not tactical enough to go room to room the hard way. I'll use the switches just inside each room's door.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Had 'em both, stuck with HL.  MUCH Brighter!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm not a cop. If the light is on indoors it's to find the switch or I've found the bad guy and it's being used on him. I'm not tactical enough to go room to room the hard way. I'll use the switches just inside each room's door.
View Quote

Me neither but years back I cleared some buildings and it is not fun wondering if this is the door I am going to open where someone is going to be behind that will shoot back or if I am going to pop the wrong person because the object in their hand happened to look like a weapon in the split second I light them up.  I think I will stick to being a couch commando and hope I do not have to never do anymore clearing.  I do still practice, took a low/no light course, go to the range at dusk, and practice moving in the house with the lights off.  One thing I have done in my house is put LED lights in the outlets scattered all over the house mostly to keep me from busting a toe or knee walking around at night.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is exactly my experience. I have 2 HL models and the standard 300lm model.

I woke up in the middle of the night to a loud crash and the sound of shattered glass. Even with splashing the light and using its spill, HOLY HELL. I use the 300lm model for HD. The HL models are great for someone with a large yard or enormous open areas inside their home.

My home being all tile with light colored walls certainly didnt help either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an interior architect by profession, the poor home decor comment made me laugh a little and is truth. Sounds like you need to invest in some flat sheen paint for those walls.

As to which version of the TLR you should get...I have the HL and I personally don't have any issues with its brightness. Like others have said, it can be a little bright in complete darkness when you hit the switch the first time, but if you are aiming at the floor and not staring directly at that spot, it becomes more ambient and won't bother your eyes. It also depends on the distance between you and the surface the light hits...if it's a wall thats 20 ft down a hall it won't seem as bright as a wall that is 4 ft away...we can all sit here and give scenarios of when it will and won't be too bright, but its all relevant to each situation.

I say all that to say again that I went with the HL after having the same debate with myself about which model to get and I don't regret my choice. I would rather have more light than I need than be in a situation where it's not enough.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#42]
" />

I went with a HL.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I have both and I prefer the regular. The HL can be blinding inside the house at night.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I have not had a chance to try the HL model, but i do have a TLR-1s and its great for inside the home. Using this to tag this thread for future reference.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just my $.02
View Quote
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Since the sun isn't available, I choose the HL. Proper technique gentlemen.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Just my $.02
View Quote

I've never thought to myself "that light is too bright" when clearing a building with either the X300U(500 lumens) or the Inforce WMLx(800 lumens) on the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Just put a TLR-1HL on my Glock 17. I'm glad I went with it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've never thought to myself "that light is too bright" when clearing a building with either the X300U(500 lumens) or the Inforce WMLx(800 lumens) on the rifle.
View Quote
This.  I have never had someone clearing a house wish they had less light... On the other hand, I have heard people wish they had MORE light...

Technique is important.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top