Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2016 9:48:53 PM EDT
I've always pocket carried a S&W 642, but my wife is not into her G42 and I shoot it better than the J-Frame, so I'm going to try pocket carrying it for a while in a Desantes Superfly (without the flap).  

Her G42 still has the factory sights on it, which I'd like to replace.  I use Trijicon HDs or suppressor sights on my carry guns, but both of those will likely snag on the way out of a pocket.  I can place my thumb over the rear sight like hammered J-frames, but would prefer to have a fully indexed grip if possible, so looking for suggestions from those with experience pocket carrying a Glock 42.

I may go with standard Trijicon 3-dot night sights since the factory Glock sights don't snag too bad, but I do much prefer the HD/Hackthorn front sight types.  Perhaps an HD front and 10-8 rear (though I have no idea what heights to order)?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Ameriglo Spartans on my G43.  Very happy with them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've looked at those and was thinking Hacks or Spartans, though they seem to have similar angles to HDs.  Do you feel they are better for pocket carry than the Trijicons?  

If I was looking for general purpose sights for IWB, I'd go with my preferred HDs, but I'm looking for the smoothest draw from a front pocket I can get with the G42.

ETA:  I should add that I have some HDs on the way and will try them out, but am looking for ideas in case they don't work out or to generally improved the G42 as a dedicated pocket gun.

I'm also fit and wear regular sized jeans and slacks, so pocket real estate is limited.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the XS Big Dot front and non-tritium rear on my Glock 42.  Not particularly small front sight, but I pocket carry it all the time and haven't had any snagging issues.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've looked at those and was thinking Hacks or Spartans, though they seem to have similar angles to HDs.  Do you feel they are better for pocket carry than the Trijicons?  

If I was looking for general purpose sights for IWB, I'd go with my preferred HDs, but I'm looking for the smoothest draw from a front pocket I can get with the G42.

ETA:  I should add that I have some HDs on the way and will try them out, but am looking for ideas in case they don't work out or to generally improved the G42 as a dedicated pocket gun.

I'm also fit and wear regular sized jeans and slacks, so pocket real estate is limited.
View Quote

I haven't compared them side by side, but the front sight appears to be a standard Trijicon HD or a near-clone of one.  The rear sight is small enough that it doesn't interfere with my draw.

I carry my G43 in my front right pants pocket in a Desantis Nemesis holster, usually in Dockers or Duluth Firehose Painters pants, so the pockets are on the large side, especially compared to jeans.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, you guys - that's good info.  I'll try the HDs when they get here for the sake of consistent sight picture, but had been eyeing both of those setups as alternatives.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Just an update that I've been running the G42 in a Desantes Superfly with Trijicon HDs for a while now and the sights are a bit sharp, as HDs have been in my experience with other Glocks.  It does draw reasonably well from all but tight jeans, and my groups sped and tightened up considerably.  Works well with Carhart and Wrangler jeans.  The the HD rear has a tendency to drag a bit on chinos or any pocket that has more vertical pocket openings if the pocket lining above the opening is stitched in a manner that gives the HD rear something to bite onto.    

That said, I think I will look into 10-8s, a Vickers, or a less dramatic rear sight for pocket duty on a second G42.  A more durable sight that is profiled like the factory rear sight might be the ticket for a dedicated pocket G42.  

My wife loves the G42 even more now that it has the HDs (as do I on G19s, G20s, or anything not going in a pocket) and has reclaimed it entirely, so I guess I'll have to get my own.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife loves the G42 even more now that it has the HDs (as do I on G19s, G20s, or anything not going in a pocket) and has reclaimed it entirely, so I guess I'll have to get my own.
View Quote

If you're buying another, get the G43 over the G42.  Better caliber in a package that's not much bigger.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a good suggestion and I've given it much consideration and a bit of range time.  I took one out to the range to practice pocket carrying with the other day, but the slight size difference made a big difference in a pocket.   I do like shooting a G43 and love 9mm, though it's not a good pocket carry gun for me.  Even the G42 is a bit of a stretch.  

I also tried a P938 to run alongside a G43, which was nicer in the pocket compared to the G43.  Both were doable, though I shoot the G42 considerably better than the Sig on drills and can shoot the nose out of a B 60 target in less time, every time.  The P938 felt a bit smaller than need be for IWB and if I'm going IWB, I'd likely prefer a Shield or even G26 to the G43.  

I'm up in the air a bit, though after carrying J-frames for a couple of decades, I'm much happier with the Glock 42's (for me) speed, accuracy, capacity, reloads and mostly okay with XTPs.  I'd rather run a 9mm, but haven't found one I like for a pocket unless I gain some weight and pants pocket sizes.  If going primarily IWB, the G42 might not make the cut over the G43 or Shield, but I do see it filling a pocket, ankle, or deeper concealment niche for me.  

That said, I'm picking up a new G42 today or tomorrow, but am also going to grab a single stack 9mm this week for IWB in 100 degree plus/shorts, t-shirt, and sandals weather or deeper concealment than my G19s or 1911s.  G43 is not entirely off the list, but I presently favor the no-safety 9mm M&P Shield and even G26 a bit more.

I should mention that these carry options are for Northern California, where I'll be moving soon as my wife got a job offer that we just can't turn down, so <10 rounds and need to limit printing as much as possible.  Up here I pocket carry a 642 or G42 and/or carry a G19, G20 or 5" 1911 without trouble depending on what I'm doing.  In California, my goal involves a deeper level of concealment and, obviously, some compromises.  I'd rather fight with a G19 and will still carry it even with 10-round mags given my abilities with it, but the 10-round limit has me for the first time considering single stack 9mm and G26, the later I tried and did not like more than ten years ago, but I've learned to shoot a service caliber semi-auto lot better without a full grip in those years.

Pocket carry, though, has always been more about a BUG or idiot tax for laziness for me.  I totally buy Ken Hackathorn's thoughts on conveniently small pistols, but I'm also a lazy bastard sometimes and when I'm lazy, I carry nothing, though I've found a pocket gun is almost never neglected and almost always carried including at home.  Started with a 1980s Colt Mustang, then a Chief's Special, then a couple of 642s, but the G42 is a wiz for me, plain and simple, and I really, really enjoy and benefit from training with it in a way I didn't with the revolvers.  In my mind it is worth the caliber and slightly awkward shape if it fits better and I can smooth out the draw as much as reasonably possible.  

As soon as it's on the waist, though, I agree with you whole-heartedly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the XS Big Dot front and non-tritium rear
View Quote

This would be my suggestion, but with the standard XS dot front. (not a huge fan of the BIG dot)
I've got this combo on one gun and it's pretty snag-free.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never been too interested in Big Dots, but the XS looks to be worth a look - didn't know (or forgot?) that version existed until now - thanks.  I'm awfully fond of the HD front and U-notch rear, so I'm trying to figure out what size 10-8 or other rear, hopefully one contoured like factory rears with a slight bevel forward and not too far rear of the dovetail, will work with it.  

Also, after the mental Olympics laid out above in single stack selection, I went out today and did buy a Glock 43 after all.  

My second Glock 42 should be in to the FFL today or tomorrow, as well, so I got both.  I'll run the G43 for a while with some MagGuts and see how it shakes out, though if the G42 is already a bit big for the pocket, I see the G43 more as hot weather or deeper concealment IWB/AIWB piece.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I pocket carry the G42 extensively.
I use two different pocket holsters depending upon the kind of pocket I will carry the weapon in.
I use a DeSantis Nemesis for all "squared off" pockets and a Recluse Front Pocket Holster for all trouser front pockets, traditional, side opening type pockets.  (I very rarely carry in front jeans "slash type" pockets.  They are always too tight).

I cannot draw the weapon from most pockets with a fully indexed grip (thumb wrapped around the grip).
I always use a draw with my thumb wrapped over the rear sight.  It is secure, easy to acquire and easy to "shift" once the weapon is clear of the pocket.
Under no circumstances do the stock sights snag...ever.  The "snagging" is always from the first knuckle of my thumb when attempting to draw with a fully indexed grip.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the more articulate description of the pockets and good holsters for the different types.  I've looked into the Recluse, but am also wanting to check out a kydex pocket rig before I buy another holster for pocket carry.  

I'm with you on the Desantes for some pockets and not for others.  I used to carry my S&W 642s in Uncle Mike's No. 3, which despite having used Ted Blocker and Desantes holsters, seems to remain my favorite pocket holster of all for being relatively low profile and sticking in the pocket, though I haven't tried it with a square gun yet.  I feel like the Desantes is a bit thicker than needed, though it sticks great and fills the corners of the pocket well.  

I'm early on in trying the G43, but it is too big for me as a pocket gun in my relaxed fit slacks and jeans. It will fit in a suit, but ruins the fit and draws like shit. That said, I think I will like it for a hot weather and light clothing IWB piece.  The G42 with the factory sights draws very smooth compared to our other G42 with HDs, so I'll leave them until I can physically inspect some of the other suggestions.  

I've drilled with the thumb over the back and found with factory-profiled rear on the G42 that I can fully index the G42 and draw without a problem, which I prefer over having to adjust my grip while presenting or shooting from retention in an emergency and in lizard mode.  Overall, I'm very happy with the G42 as a pocket gun, even if it does look like I'm carrying a day planner in my pocket.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Just as holster selection can make or break concealment with bigger guns (i.e., G26 and G19 sizes), pocket size is incredibly important with these little guns.  A marginal fit can exacerbate snag issues with the sights.

I can't carry squat in typical Levi's jeans pockets.  I'll carry on my belt with those pants.

My preferred pants for pocket carry are Duluth Fire Hose Flex work pants.  They're not the biggest pockets I've ever seen, but they make easy work of the Kahr PM9, J-frames, Ruger LCP, and Glock 43.  The pants are also very comfortable.

While I don't think you should abandon your current wardrobe, you may want to consider pocket size as you replace garments due to normal wear.  

Suit pockets were also mentioned.  Many suits have generous pockets but the weight of most guns will make for a sloppy fit.  The superlight guns like the 340PD and LCP may be good choices for pocket carry in suits, or an ankle holster or shoulder holster may work, depending on circumstances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top