Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/27/2002 4:02:05 PM EDT
I teach CCW classes in my state (Arizona) and since our Permit program began back in 1994 I have trained about 700 people.

I am constantly surprised at the number of people who will attend 16 hours of trainging and apply for a permit, then freely admit they don't intend to carry a gun "all the time".

Some of the excuses I hear are:

I'll carry it if I need it ( as if you knew - dumb!).

It's uncomfortable (getting mugged is more uncomfortable).

It's too hard to hide (get a better holster or dress differently).

This all begs the question: How often/regularly do those of you who have CCW permits actually carry?

I carry every single day and every place it is leagle to do so.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:19:39 AM EDT
Yes, I carry every day. I also teach the permit class in Tennessee.

My favorite line from students is "I carry, but usually leave it in the car when I go in some place."

The issue is mindset. These folks are in denial that something bad may happen to them, or possibly that they will see it coming and have time to prepare. NOT! Personally, I like to include some mindset lecture in the CCW class we offer, as do most of our instructors...
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:33:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2002 6:35:50 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:50:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2002 8:52:37 AM EDT by Tinker]
I carry anywhere and everywhere I can, each and every day. I even decided what my minimum power cartridge would be, and stick to that.

Yes, I had to get my pants sized larger to allow use of an IWB holster.

Yes, I have several guns and holsters to give me some choice depending on conditions, and carry everything from a 3" N frame to Colt .380 auto.

Yes, a light gun is easier to carry, and harder to shoot. Practice, practice, practice.

When I need to stop off and vote or go to the courthouse or other places I can't carry, I put the gun in a safe. This was an easy installation.

I drilled 2 holes in the floor of my pickup (behind the seat), and bolted a "Cannon" gun safe to the floor (washers, lock washers to keep it all assembled). This is the kind that uses a 5 button lock, and it works nearly instantly. A lot less obvious than stashing it in the trunk, even if I had one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:53:51 AM EDT
Everyday. Just like American Express, don't leave home without it. Like most law abiding citizens, I hope that I never have to use it, but Murphy's Law says that the day it is in your trunk, or you left it home because you couldn't figure out how to conceal in with a pair of shorts and T-shirt, is the day that some group crack addicts is going to try to grab your wife or child (God forbid) at the mall or something. As far as comfort, I feel that you just get used to it, in the beginning remember - Guns are comforting, not comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:37:26 PM EDT
You guys are lucky, this is way I can not carry all the time. I passed the background check, took the course, passed the written test 98%, passed the range test 88%, and paid my money $40. Went to the sheriffs office to obtain my permit and was told I can not carry on person. I am only allowed to carry on person while I hunt, target shoot or transport it to the range or hunting area. Reason Sheriff does not feel anyone needs to carry a loaded firearm. I must prove to him that there is an absolute need to for me to have carry in public. This is damn near impossible when he says and I quote" It is your right to carry, but I do not nor do my deputies carry while they are off duty so why do you feel the need to carry." At that point I just smiled, as I found it hard to believe he did not carry off duty, but I could not do a thing. So now I am a proud owner of a worthless permit. But all is not lost. The Good news my $40 CCW acts as a purchasing permit. I can walk in to any store in Iowa and buy any long gun or hand gun I want with out a waiting period or background check. Bad news I could legally do everything listed on CCW, but carry on person in a vehicle without my $40 CCW permit. Oh and I can pick up a purchasing permit that will do everything my CCW will do for $5 bucks. Funny thing I move 10 miles to the west and now the sheriff in that county will remove all the restrictions from my permit and I will be able to carry on person. Even a funnier thing is the permit is state wide, not county wide, but the sheriffs in each county have the final say on how my state wide permit reads. Looks like it is time to move.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 3:50:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ontherev:
Everyday. Just like American Express, don't leave home without it. Like most law abiding citizens, I hope that I never have to use it, but Murphy's Law says that the day it is in your trunk, or you left it home because you couldn't figure out how to conceal in with a pair of shorts and T-shirt, is the day that some group crack addicts is going to try to grab your wife or child (God forbid) at the mall or something. As far as comfort, I feel that you just get used to it, in the beginning remember - Guns are comforting, not comfortable.

My sentiments exactly
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:26:18 AM EDT
I`m going to get a CCW soon.

But I`m at the point where I`m trying to Figure
what type of carry is right for me.

I know a lot of guys blast the Fanny Pack, but right now I CAR carry with it and I like it .

How do you guys with Big Guts carry ?
I dont think I could carry in the back and sit in my car. I would half to get bigger pants
to be able to carry on the side.

Is the Fanny Pack that bad? Mine is Dark brown.
FYI I will be carrying a
mini GLOCK(go figure:D].
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:25:19 AM EDT
I have a "big belly" and I carry a Taurus 85 sunbby w/ a concealed hammer in my pocket with
a "uncle mikes" pocket holster. no problem unless I try to where jeans. (too tight)
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:32:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By qwkdrw:
I have a "big belly" and I carry a Taurus 85 sunbby w/ a concealed hammer in my pocket with
a "uncle mikes" pocket holster. no problem unless I try to where jeans. (too tight)

Thats my problem all I wear is jeans!
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 11:47:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2002 11:55:33 AM EDT by AJohnston]
Dave T - You make a very good point that is too often overlooked. Although carrying a gun on a daily basis is not for everyone, those who recognize the need to be armed shouldn't sacrifice their personal safety for poor excuses passed off as personal preference. We call these people LDP, low dedication personnel, and the related mentality transcends far more than just the choice of whether or not to carry. Weapon, ammo, and holster choice along with a regular training routine is often adversely effected by ones level of dedication.

I carry a gun 7 days a week during all wakening hours and I carry a BIG gun, I wouldn’t have it any other way. At work, home, the movies, the grocery store, restaurants, etc. If it's legal I'm armed... no exceptions. What surprises me most often is the amount of people who either don't practice with their carry gun or skimp out on their carry gear. Buying a $10 Uncle Mike’s clip on IWB holster to carry a 1911 won’t cut it and neither will that department store belt. Additionally, choosing a carry gun based on size, weight, price, or finish is the wrong way to buy a weapon.

Anymore it's far too common place to for people to just buy a gun and wear it assuming that the gun work right out of the box with the ammo and mags they plan on using. It still shocks me that some people will carry a gun without a spare magazine. I have found that very few people even contemplate shooting the gun to ensure its reliability... most people assume it will work right out of the box and that it will work well. Allot of people go on to assume that they will know how to effectively employ a gun in a fight, not realizing that like everything else in life you have to learn how to do it. "Well I know how to shoot a gun" is what they’ll say. Sure but do you know how to fight? The "I already know how to shoot a gun" mentality will get you killed. It should come as no big surprise that people have way too high of expectations of how effective guns are especially handguns. Couple those expectations with little or no practice with a gun that’s been shot maybe once and you have a loosing fight waiting to happen. Not to sound elitist but people like that just might be better off on the street unarmed.

The point is if you carry a gun you better learn how to use it and have the right equipment to facilitate its use.

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:02:38 PM EDT
I carry every day, everywhere. Period. My gun is part of my clothing. I have done this since I was in highschool.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:53:51 AM EDT
On another forum in a section devoted to Carry Issues, one person asked how many people carried with a round chambered. I was amazed at the number of responders who said that the carried but not with a round chambered. There was even one responder that carried but kept the mag in a separate pocket. He got really mad at me when I suggested that to be really safe he should remove the slide and keep it in the pocket on the other side.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:09:56 PM EDT
I carry every day. It's a lifestyle some people
can't seem to understand.
I also, would wear my seat belts, law or no law

WEB
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 1:14:46 AM EDT
I carry all the time. Anytime I step out of my house my firearm is on me. My carry firearm, which is my only handgun, is my Beretta 92FS. I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max2 IWB holster. I have one extra mag with me. Both magazines have 135grain federal hydroshocks in them, with a round in the chamber ready to go. I to have a big belly, need to lose some weight. I am 5' 10" and weigh 220.

I also use my carry firearm for USPSA competion shooting, my philosophy is better compete with the firearm you use for concleal carry. My goal for competition shooting is to not actually win, although that would be nice someday, but it is more to get the practice of shooting under stressful situations and become a better shooter.

Practice,practice,practice because you never know. I always tell my wife it is better to be prepared and to never need to use the firearm for self-defense, then to not be prepared and need my firearm, because you never know, life is unpredictable at times.

I like a quote that Ted Nugent said: To be unarmed is to be defenseless, and to be defenseless, is to be irresponsible.

There are over 2 million reported cases each year were someone with a concealed weapon deters crime, I just wonder how many cases go unpreported each year!

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:20:19 PM EDT
I don't walk out my door without my G27 under my shirt, I'm about to go to Downtown Vegas for dinner now and out of 8 people at our table 4 of us carry everytime we are outside our homes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:23:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cmymud:

Originally Posted By qwkdrw:

Thats my problem all I wear is jeans!

That's not a problem that's the solution.

Since I have been carrying I only wear Levi's pants in the winter and Levi's 550 shorts in the summer.

Levi's are perfect for a strong belt and a side holster, wear a large XL or XXL tee shirt and your good to go
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:04:20 PM EDT
I carry all the time. I was lucky because I wore my close a bit loose so I didnt have to change much to conceal a firearm. I carry a full size 1911 all the time.
Top Top