Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 9:42:56 AM EDT
I find that I would rather carry a dirty gun than clean it without being able to test fire after I clean the gun.  Have I ever had a gun misfire directly after cleaning?  Nope.  I just feel like if I just shot the gun and it ran properly that the cleaning process introduces mans ability to screw up a good thing.  Anybody else operate like this or do you train, clean and carry without a second thought?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I just clean it after every practice / training.   Its really easy and I'm not aware of too many things I could do in cleaning to stop the function of a Glock or an HK.

Dirty firearms would, in my humble opinion, be more prone to stoppages.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never had a firearm misfire as a result of me cleaning/assembling incorrectly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry clean guns - I don't worry about assembling them incorrectly or whatever. When I say "clean", I mean cleaned after last firing... they get covered in lint, deodorant dust and pubic hairs pretty quickly, which is why I carry a Glock .
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Shoot, clean, function check, load and holster.  Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I clean them thoroughly after every range session (100 rounds usually goes through my carry gun once a week) and I wipe my carry gun down with G 96 Gun Treatment every night when it goes into the nightstand.

It's not hard to field strip and reassemble and function check M&Ps or SIGs correctly and I'm of the mind that clean and freshly  lubed guns work better than dirty, dry ones.

I'll admit to being a freak about inspection, cleaning and maintenance such as changing springs, etc.; but the reliability of my handguns has been exemplary.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I clean sometimes, however, I'll be honest I haven't done more than wipe down the outside of the G26 I got in May and have put ~600 rds through it without a malfunction.  I did put a NY1 and 3.5lb connector in it though and looked at everything if that counts then fired it 300rds.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
That's what function checks are for. Unless you're detail stripping the entire gun every range trip, you taking the slide off, barrel and guide rod spring out is not going to cause the gun to quit shooting if it still moves when you put it back together.

I went 1200 rounds without cleaning my Glock recently, then did it because I was bored. Mix of WWB and Federal red box stuff.

I really need to lube it now, it's probably been 300-400 rounds since I cleaned it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's what function checks are for. Unless you're detail stripping the entire gun every range trip, you taking the slide off, barrel and guide rod spring out is not going to cause the gun to quit shooting if it still moves when you put it back together.

I went 1200 rounds without cleaning my Glock recently, then did it because I was bored. Mix of WWB and Federal red box stuff.

I really need to lube it now, it's probably been 300-400 rounds since I cleaned it.

Good answer!  And, keep it relatively clean of lint and dust when you can.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I clean all my firearms every time after shooting and every two weeks for carried guns and once a month for long guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I clean my carry guns after every range session.
1) Clean guns function better
2) On the outside chance I am ever in the wrong place at the wrong time and am falsely blamed with discharging my firearm, there will be no doubt I did not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top