Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 9:54:53 PM EDT
Is there really a way to do this without being uncomfortable?  I was thinking about getting an ankle holster for my g26 but I feel like it would move around too much and be awkward while moving.  Does anyone carry this way daily and if so do you have any suggestions?  Anyone with experience with a g26 or other subcompact glock would be helpful.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried it I hated it I am also in az the main problem is I got a real bad heat rash.  talk about iching it sucked
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Very difficult to get to, and hot in the summer. Good for a second gun but not a primary.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Very difficult to get to, and hot in the summer. Good for a second gun but not a primary.

This.

I occasionally carry a j frame when serving warrants as a BUG. I would never use ankle carry as a primary mode of carry. Very slow to get at and j frame is as large as I'd want to go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a 26 in a DeSantis ankle holster just about every day. No major issues. It does get hot in the summer and it will eventually ruin the tops of your shoes. You need to keep up on the maintenance because it gets covered in dust, lint and DNA in a hurry. 2 things I would recommend, get the matching 2 mag pouch for the other ankle and practice your draw and reloads.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The only thing I ankle carry is a 642 in a Renegade ankle holster. Since I’m one of those cool hipster youths, I wear loose straight or boot cut jeans so ankle carry really isn’t a problem as far as concealment. The gun is lightweight so it isn’t uncomfortable either.

Lately I have been considering getting another Renegade for my 26. I don’t care what kind of ankle holster you buy as long as it is a Renegade. I have found that ankle rigs aren’t the place for finely molded 8/9 oz leather, all they do is add bulk and weight to the holster. The Renegade system is low profile, very secure (I have ran with mine to test it out, it’s pretty impressive) and it works. The sheep-skin like backing is very comfortable. I’d check ask what models they offer for the 26 and go with the thumb break version.

Ankle carry CAN be hard to get to depending on what you are doing. If I’m out at a social function, there is a good chance I will be sitting down for the majority of the evening. If I’m seated, the gun will quite possibly be easier to get to if I’m seated and may be more discreet. It’s not how I would carry a primary day to day, but it beats leaving the gun at home by a long shot.

Here are some of the models at GMS, but it is/was the same price and in stock to order directly from Renegade. Good people there.

http://www.gmstactical.com/copabyremo53.html

Renegade Holsters
3711 East Gelding Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85032-5233
(602) 482-6777
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have carried a G27 in a DeSantis Apache Ankle Rig on my weak side Monday through Friday for the last 18 months.  It has held up well and after 2 weeks you don't notice the weight.  I do wear a higher sock on that side for some extra cushion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Galco ankle glove when I'm driving long distance.  I can IWB a second gun when I stop, but I don't have it digging into my back for several hours in the car.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have skinny calves and bony ankles and found it completely unworkable. If it wasn't sliding down and jabbing me in the ankle it was because I put the garter thing on it and it was being held up by all the leg hair that got velcroed in the strap.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have skinny calves and bony ankles and found it completely unworkable. If it wasn't sliding down and jabbing me in the ankle it was because I put the garter thing on it and it was being held up by all the leg hair that got velcroed in the strap.

This was my experience with the Renegade I bought for my MP340. It's a fine holster and would be perfect if it was contoured and/or allowed you to wrap it tighter for those who have skinny ankles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I love ankle carry and find it very comfortable.  I used a Galco leather ankle holster for my Glock 27 and it helps if I wear long socks.  I use this method of carry when I need deeper concealment or if I have  to tuck in my shirt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I only ankle carry when I wear a boot the holster can ride on (size of high tops).  I hate the calf strap so I never use it.  I dont notice any discomfort and prefer other means of carry, but if its ankle or nothing, Ill take ankle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The only ones I know that use it are LEO's for their back up piece.  And its usually strapped to their boot.  

I played with it once and decided there were better options for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a g27 as an on duty backup in a Fobus ankle holster around my boot, and don't even know it's there.  I use a uncle mikes ankle holster when Im off duty and wearint a t shirt that wont conceal my IWB holster.  Most of the time the uncle mikes is comfortable.  There is a fine line between too tight to be comfortable, and too loose that the gun slides around.  I find that I have to use the top strap that comes with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is there really a way to do this without being uncomfortable?  I was thinking about getting an ankle holster for my g26 but I feel like it would move around too much and be awkward while moving.  Does anyone carry this way daily and if so do you have any suggestions?  Anyone with experience with a g26 or other subcompact glock would be helpful.

I've tried this with some fairly small pistols (Colt Mustang, Iver .380) and it hasn't worked well for me.   A G26 would be worse yet.   I've had better results with belly bands and t-shirt holsters, if you're mostly looking for options for tucked-shirt carry.   I might try it again with a derringer some time if I'm looking for an excuse to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I ankle carry a Ruger LPC much...very much.
I also carry a G27 at least once a week and feel I could do it daily.

I use an Uncle Mikes ankle holster...have for years and this is my third one.
They take exactly two days to get broke in, then, good to go. Very secure and very adjustable.

My $.02...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing I carry on my ankle  is a .38 special snubbie.  Any other gun in my opinion is  just to heavy and as a result moves around way too much, plus the added weight gives you a posture that kinda gives the fact  that your carrying  away.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to carry a Ruger SP101 on my ankle until I discovered the Glock G27 and opted for more capacity.  It feels lighter than the 101.  I've also carried a G30 and G19.  The 27 almost feels like it isn't there.  I wear high top boots and "boot" cut jeans and it doesn't print.  What weight there is rests on the boot top.  I can't do a quick draw from standing but it sure is a lot handier sitting and riding in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.  I wear one every day with a S&W 3913TSW in it.  (Bianchi Triad.)  Well, most every day––-on those rare occasions when I wear tennis shoes I carry a PPK there in a Galco ankle glove instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top