Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 9:43:11 AM EDT
I just received my new Alessi ankle holster for my G26 after a 12 week wait.  The fit and finish was everything I thought it would be - an absolutely beautiful holster.  I have had the hardest time making it fit comfortably though.  It slides down my ankle and does not feel secure unless I reef on the cinch strap to the point of affecting my circulation.  I decided to stick with my less expensive Renegade ankle holsters and just replace them yearly.  Any suggestions from Alessi ankle holster users before I put my new Alessi rig an the EE?  I would really like this holster to work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one and could only make it work by wearing hiking boots for the same reason you listed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Although I do the same as Grinch with my G26, I have gotten used to wearing it with lower shoes also.
Have you given yourself the time to know whether the gun is "unsecure" or could it be that you want to not feel it moving around at all ?
If you've only worn it a few times, some of this may be 'in your head".
I'm not trying to convince you ... you are the only one that needs to be comfortable.  I'm just suggesting a bit more time, maybe.
Ankle-carry is a nice tool to have in your toolbox.    My 2c.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The Alessi is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship....and one of the worst ankle rigs out there IMO. My dad bought one because it was the mecca of ankle holsters. I used it quite a bit and the "too heavy and bulky" consensus came out quick. He still has it though. I've been meaning to try it again a bit and see what I think now. I'm sure I'll still agree.

Thick ankle bands and wet molded holster leather don't belong on an ankle rig. I've said it 100 times, but Renegade has mastered the ankle holster.

Expensive, bulky, heavy, harder to secure to the ankle with making an ankle tourniquet. Everything I don't want in an ankle rig. It is sexy though. Look at the bright side, you can trade it and get 2 Renegades and give me one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I appreciate the different viewpoints.

The Alessi rig is everything you would expect from a hand crafted, wet-molded holster.  The problem is it slides around (up and down and around my ankle).  I can run at a dead sprint with my Renegade holster and it does not move at all.  I can barely tell it is there.  The Alessi holster is all over the place - but it looks really good.  The thing I did not like about the Renegade holsters is that after a year of daily use, they wear out from the elastic band breaking and the velcro wearing out.  I have gotten 18 months out of one before, but should have looked at getting a new one months before that.  I was hoping the Alessi holster would have been the best of both worlds, but I guess I was wrong.  Could be how my ankle is shaped, I don't know.  I have decided to stick with the Renegade holsters (model #53).  I like buying the ones made for G19/23 pistols because the G26 rides just a little higher and allows the elastic band to fit better above the ankle bone.  It also allows me to carry my G23 if I ever feel like it.

Anyway, look for a like new Alessi ankle holster to go on the EE in about 3 weeks (when I get back from my business trip).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd talk to Renegade about how fast you're wearing them out, maybe they'll cut you a deal or something. A couple LEOs on another forum had 5 or 6 years of daily wear out of theirs and they were still ticking.

This thread sparked me to call dad last night and I swung by the house and borrowed his Alessi again. Tried it last night, I still hate it. No matter how hard I cinch it down, to the point of pain, it still bounces up and down and rotates around. Great quality, not the best ankle rig though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd talk to Renegade about how fast you're wearing them out, maybe they'll cut you a deal or something. A couple LEOs on another forum had 5 or 6 years of daily wear out of theirs and they were still ticking.

This thread sparked me to call dad last night and I swung by the house and borrowed his Alessi again. Tried it last night, I still hate it. No matter how hard I cinch it down, to the point of pain, it still bounces up and down and rotates around. Great quality, not the best ankle rig though.

Renegade gives me a LE discount which helps.  I don't mind paying $45 a year to get a new one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top