Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/20/2016 10:32:18 AM EDT
Hi guys,

After opinions on whether removing the gas piston is in anyway harmful to the rifle when firing it? Why would I do such a thing? I'm working up some handloads in the gun and want to be able to inspect the cases immediately to check for any problems e.g. excessive pressure etc. The range I shoot at has long grass in front of the firing points and you have to wait until everyone has finished firing to be able to move in front of the firing points (obviously), to go hunting for brass. If the gas piston is removed I can just manually open the bolt and have the brass to hand, rather than it being in the next county

I can only think I'm going to have a dirtier than normal barrel/heat shield, but would appreciate input from others.

Thanks

Mark
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:55:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghoul] [#1]
yeah, I wouldn't  go to that extreme of taking off the gas piston

if you just want to check the casing without hunting for it in tall grass,  a simpler and much easier solution is to fabricate a brass catcher and attach it to the side of the gun where the ejecting port is.   it doesn't have to look pretty or well made, some zip ties and plastic bag or cloth bag is all you need to catch one spent casing. firing one round won't heat the rifle where it would cause the plastic to  melt

then when you determine if the case is good, it's  just a matter of  cutting  the ties off and now you can shoot the rifle normally

anyway, that is what I would do
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:55:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hilljack] [#2]
I would guess you get a nasty blast of gas where you normally would not. Also you will probably have to mortar the spent case out of the chamber.

Have not done it, so I do not know for sure.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats for the opinions guys. Hadn't really thought about a hard extraction. British gun ranges don't take to kindly to you waving the gun in the air/pointing it above horizontal so that would be a problem. Looks like i'll need to jerry rig something to catch the brass/stop it going into orbit!
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top