Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2015 7:29:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spent_Casing]
Im a TIG welder for a living. Work had been slow this week so I decided to pass the time by making a bunch of tabs for my VZ2008 carrier. Ive seen members of other forums offering a service for $50-$60 and felt that was way too much. I can do it myself, much better, I thought. I decided to use 316 Stainless steel for maritime ops.

So here's the pics!

Prep for welding.

All welded! Ground and buffed smooth. Weld on the other side remains due to strength.

And now hit with the rattle can! All done

As I said I made many tabs. So if anyone has any questions, or needs some help feel free to IM me. IMO $60 is too much to pay for this job and a true welder/fitter can do much better for less.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Was your VZ having issues? I have a new one never fired should I wait to see if it has issues or just get it tabbed?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
So, are you offering up a service to do this?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:

Was your VZ having issues? I have a new one never fired should I wait to see if it has issues or just get it tabbed?
View Quote

It was not. But Ive heard some reports of the gremlin popping at any time. So it was easy enough fix that I decided to do it anyways. Its how the factory carriers do it, so I figured what the heck. Couldnt hurt.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spent_Casing] [#4]

Originally Posted By Master_Shake_TX:

So, are you offering up a service to do this?
View Quote

Officially, no. But I can if you need it.

Truthfully, I dont want my thread or account closed due to some accusation of a guerrilla marketing type deal. Im not sure on the sites rules on that sort of thing. (Oddly, its seems ok to recommend the service from another member on another board, but may not be ok to do here myself. IDK).

But thats truly not the point of my thread. Id be just as happy to help walk anyone through it over the internet without receiving a dime or meeting face to face. I dont care.

ETA: Here's my prints. DIY. IM me if you have any questions or need any help.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good,  I made my own tab too and welded it to my carrier .  I had maybe 40 minutes in the whole thing.  I posted my tab  "print" also, a few years ago ,  looks to be the same dimensions. I would never pay $60 for what this job takes to do.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spent_Casing] [#6]

Originally Posted By kyron4:

Looks good,  I made my own tab too and welded it to my carrier .  I had maybe 40 minutes in the whole thing.  I posted my tab  "print" also, a few years ago ,  looks to be the same dimensions. I would never pay $60 for what this job takes to do.
View Quote

Thanks man. I agree its a pretty easy job and $60 is way too much. Hence why, I figured I could do better for cheaper. But that said, I completely understand not everyone has the time or machinery, or skill to do it themselves. They can work an extra hour of overtime, send it off to someone like me, and be shooting in their spare time. I have the advantage of a full shop at my disposal, while many in a cubicle farm dont.

I do oil changes, and brakes, and tune-ups and stuff on my own vehicles but on bigger things its just easier for me to pay a pro to get it done while Im at work, even though Im capable. Im sure you know what I mean. But thanks for the compliment.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hotbiggun42:
View Quote

Yeah, they can pop up at any time.  My gremlin paid me a visit on round number 2! First round because I had cycled the bolt fired fine.  The very next round was a dead trigger!  Well, its like they say, sooner or later it will pop up.  I just got mine out of the way right from the start.  Got it tabbed and never a problem since. :)
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:48:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gundam999] [#8]
quote]
  Officially, no. But I can if you need it.

Truthfully, I dont want my thread or account closed due to some accusation of a guerrilla marketing type deal. Im not sure on the sites rules on that sort of thing. (Oddly, its seems ok to recommend the service from another member on another board, but may not be ok to do here myself. IDK).

But thats truly not the point of my thread. Id be just as happy to help walk anyone through it over the internet without receiving a dime or meeting face to face. I dont care.

ETA: Here's my prints. DIY. IM me if you have any questions or need any help.
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt16/xxtrothxx/IMG_20151111_175348402%201_zpsvu6zeocd.jpg

How much will it cost?

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top