Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2015 5:15:35 PM EDT
is it worth it to buy one on ebay?
they got em for 50$ with all the hardware....and lets face it the skeletal stock even with paracord isnt very good

10$ economy shipping too, is it worth it?60$ to change the stocks
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes its worth it. Its a pretty good upgrade over the metal stock. It was much easier on the face when shooting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Well worth it in my opinion. I bought one from eBay as well and would NEVER go back to the folding stock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:22:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tirador223] [#3]
I have one of each and far prefer the wooden stock for practical purposes.

Edited to add: the pipe insulation wrapped folding stock covered in that sort of ace bandage material is not too bad and far better than nothing.  Still, if I had to get rid of one it would be the folder.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coctailer] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Beaver barf stock X 1000.  Metal folders on any rifle looks cool, but very uncomfortable to shoot with.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got mine off of ebay this morning and got it installed.  It's a lot more comfortable to shoot with now.  The folder was nice for compact storage but wasn't so nice when it came to shooting it.  IMHO, the fixed beaver barf stock, tabbing the carrier, installing one of Chris Stone's heat shields in the handguard and replacing the AKM muzzle break with a proper barrel nut makes the rifle as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah defenitely an upgrade...it just feels more like a rifle now. Before it felt like a...toy. Anyone else think Czechs had child soldiers? those grips are so small

I had a very hard time getting my stock off..at first I thought they welded the bolt on there or something. Eventually got it off. Now what to do with the spare folding stock i have?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WoWPro:
Now what to do with the spare folding stock i have?
View Quote

I saved mine for future reference. Admittedly, I am a purist/collector so I have a box with the accesories I have tracked down. factory bi-pod, bayo, pouches, cleaning kits, spare parts, and such.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi,

I have a Century built VZ2008 and bought a fixed stock off Ebay  from the Czech Republic.  The stock is great (much better than the folder) but there is one problem...

Issue is most (all?) of these Century built VZ2008's have the stock mounting hole drilled about 3/32 - 1/8" to high on the back of the receiver.  This causes the fixed stock to sit too high and the metal plate that fits between the stock and the recesses in the back of the receiver won't align properly.

I resolved this by opening up the bolt hole inside the stock with a round file to let the bolt sit higher (toward the top of the stock).  I also had to reduce the outside diameter of the stock bolt head and use a smaller washer to get everything to fit.  It turned out really nice but took a few hours of screwing around.

After going through this I understand why all the Century VZ58's I've seen for sale have the folder on them; the stock sits high (you'll notice if you look at the bottom where it meets the receiver) but it still fits.

Best Regards

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I havent owned a ton of century guns but from the few i have and have seen you just have to expect to fix some oversight of theirs. I have to say i have just come to expect it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lovett:
Hi,

I have a Century built VZ2008 and bought a fixed stock off Ebay  from the Czech Republic.  The stock is great (much better than the folder) but there is one problem...

Issue is most (all?) of these Century built VZ2008's have the stock mounting hole drilled about 3/32 - 1/8" to high on the back of the receiver.  This causes the fixed stock to sit too high and the metal plate that fits between the stock and the recesses in the back of the receiver won't align properly.

I resolved this by opening up the bolt hole inside the stock with a round file to let the bolt sit higher (toward the top of the stock).  I also had to reduce the outside diameter of the stock bolt head and use a smaller washer to get everything to fit.  It turned out really nice but took a few hours of screwing around.

After going through this I understand why all the Century VZ58's I've seen for sale have the folder on them; the stock sits high (you'll notice if you look at the bottom where it meets the receiver) but it still fits.

Best Regards

View Quote

So they had to drill them to fit either the folder of the fixed stock. Interesting, I wonder if the VZ58s are the same.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
If your cheek hurts, try removing the muzzle brake (if it is a slant brake).
I took off the slant brake, and put back on my folder, no problem shooting it at all
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:28:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: countryboyny] [#13]
my vz2008 came with a fixed stock back when the folding stocks where sold out and put a folder on it with no issue. I wonder if its the builder is doing that with the hole as century contracts these out to different builders as far as iv heard. I know my wife loved this gun when I got it cause its so light but after I put the folder and forarm on it she doesn't like it so much. I took the folder off and put the solid stock back on it cause its so much more fun to shoot with a better cheek weld. other than the folder making it smaller I can think of zero benefits to it. if money improves il swap it to a folding angled m4 stock
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top