Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/28/2017 10:55:26 PM EDT
I've gone back through the 3 pages that I'm allowed to research and don't find the answer but I'm guessing it has probably been covered before.
While using a thread adapter, even with it tightened all the way up, it still has some wobble to it and I fear a baffle strike or catastrophic failure even with an overbore .338 can.
I've read all about re-threading the barrel to match the 5/8x24 threads of the can. I'm not really wanting to put that much into it as the can on the PAP is just an afterthought and not it's primary purpose.

Has anyone placed shims between the face of the barrel and the thread adapter to take out the  play? Of course check bullet path with a dowel or rod before even thinking about any live fire.

Please pardon my ignorance on the subject. I'm new to the AK world as well as suppressor. The can was purchased to be used on a 338lm host as well as on my 7mm rem mag. Just figured if I could use it on my m92 and also then why not.

If I can figure out a safe way to make this work, the next thing to address will probably be over gassing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The best thing to do is to have the factory threads chopped, and the actual barrel threaded 1/2-28. Morgan (eastxhunter) did mine. you migh also want to read THIS
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
x2. Send it to Morgan. He did all my AKs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies fellas. Like I said, I really don't want to have to turn it down. I already have a 4 piece flash hider with the 26mm lh threads that I plan on using as well as the thread adapter. Just figured if I could use the can safely without any permanent modifications to the weapon , I would give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen folks leave a few of the original threads so they can still put the normal attachments on if they don't want to run suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
So what is the going rate to have that kind of work done? Adapter idea is a no-go do to concentricity. A local shop wants $275 turn it down build an adapter pressing it on to the barrel and welding it up. And I would need it threaded 5/8 by 24, not half by 28. Not sure there is enough meat on the barrel to do that and have a decent shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what is the going rate to have that kind of work done? Adapter idea is a no-go do to concentricity. A local shop wants $275 turn it down build an adapter pressing it on to the barrel and welding it up. And I would need it threaded 5/8 by 24, not half by 28. Not sure there is enough meat on the barrel to do that and have a decent shoulder.
View Quote
I think Morgan charged somewhere around $100 total (including return shipping), it will be 1/2-28 though there's not enough meat to thread it 5/8-24.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Shoulder isn't a problem, there's plenty...see the pic above. 1/2x28 is GTG also for 30 cal bullets. Hell, it's used by some of the 'big boys' for 9mm/.355" bullets.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
There in lies the problem. The can is 5/8 x 24.  Put an adapter in there is only going to compound problems. I guess no can on the AK sbr.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
get a different thread adapter for the can? or is it not the kind where you can change that?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a direct thread 5/8 x 24. Just when adding adaptors, especially mass produced ones,  making sure everything is concentric, parallel, etc, and isn't going to come loose or cause a baffle strike gets to be difficult. I'd be better off having the local shop turn down the barrel, press on and weld their adaptor to the barrel. I just wasn't wanting to drop another $275 to do it. The can was purchased to run on my 338lm and 7mm rm and will just have to serve its purpose there for the time being.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its a direct thread 5/8 x 24. Just when adding adaptors, especially mass produced ones,  making sure everything is concentric, parallel, etc, and isn't going to come loose or cause a baffle strike gets to be difficult. I'd be better off having the local shop turn down the barrel, press on and weld their adaptor to the barrel. I just wasn't wanting to drop another $275 to do it. The can was purchased to run on my 338lm and 7mm rm and will just have to serve its purpose there for the time being.
View Quote
For $275 you could make a F1 can
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#12]
The man has a point. If the hpa were to pass, this would be a total no brainer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#13]
If wishes were fishes.....
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top