Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/7/2010 9:49:25 AM EDT
When I first got my Draco I re-did the wood with a Walnut stain and tru-oil. See first pic.  The stain ended up covering much of the wood grain, so i picked up another handguard set from Century. i think this set is from a WASR but it clould be from a Draco too (except the grain and finish looked alot like every WASR I have seen). I stripped the wood, sanded it, then stained it with min-wax special walnut followed by Sedona Red after that... I wanted a glossy finish after seeing the first post in the Draco wood set sticky thread above, so I did not sand down the tru-oil finish and left it glossy. Let me know what you all think...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice job!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice I like the color a lot.  The only problem I have seen with wasr wood is the way they finish it. You can see that they must use a machine and sand against the grain and not with it.  It's hard to get it all out but if you were to keep standing the cross section you see on the side will come out.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looks nice I like the color a lot.  The only problem I have seen with wasr wood is the way they finish it. You can see that they must use a machine and sand against the grain and not with it.  It's hard to get it all out but if you were to keep standing the cross section you see on the side will come out.

You are correct that the wood appeared to have been sanded against the grain in spots.

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top