Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/7/2016 6:24:32 PM EDT
I bought a new AES-10B just after Christmas. I really had no plans for the furniture. I would finish the wood, but how? Well, when I got the beast I was struck by the blood-red commie grip. I have a lighter red, "Russian red" wood set for my M92 PAP SBR, and its cool, but this was going to require a much darker / deeper red. I finished it with a 4 step process: staining with dark cherry koolaid, staining with sedona red minwax stain, staining with Bombay Mahogany polyshade from minwax, and finally rattle can satin spar urethane. A perfect match didn't really seem possible because the grip has a sort of swirly marbling thing going on, but I got it as close as I could add an ametuer. I went with satin because it seemed like it would match the grip best as well. Check it out:

Pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]

That's a keeper!

Great job, now go and enjoy. Range report requested.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
That is actually pretty close to the typical Romanian wood finish,  which is a very dark,  almost brownish shellac. Good job

What are of WA are you in?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The 'Couve.
Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top