User Panel

Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2010 4:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EMA-Tactical]
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
About as useful as perforated toilet paper or a trap door in a canoe.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 11:02:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWarhammer] [#2]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By gelmir:

+1

Agreed.  Learn the mag change drill like everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
This modification does speed up mag changes.  You can keep your strong hand on the grip.  I have seen similar mods, made from sheet steel.
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Subconscious:You can keep your strong hand on the grip.

You can keep you strong hand on the grip without it too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 10:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThRob] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Subconscious:
This modification does speed up mag changes.  You can keep your strong hand on the grip.  I have seen similar mods, made from sheet steel.

Exactly how have you been changing mags that requires you to take your strong hand off of the grip?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By gelmir:

Isn't all toilet paper perforated?
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 10:15:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Melendez402] [#10]
Originally Posted By Moose-Knuckle:
Originally Posted By Subconscious:You can keep your strong hand on the grip.

You can keep you strong hand on the grip without it too.
I think he places his weapon on the shooting table to reload

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]

WTF was that??????????????????

Got to get me one

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
make it from metal, and extend the tab on the base so old school mag changes can still be done with a 2nd mag, and I would be in.  I could destroy that polymer in 4 range trips accidentally....
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried 1 in my Ak and Krink ,doesn't work,they hit the  magazine and I cann't remove the mags. To bulky.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PRMAN45ACP:
I tried 1 in my Ak and Krink ,doesn't work,they hit the  magazine and I cann't remove the mags. To bulky.

I have been practicing using one of these for the past 3 or 4 days. You can still do the standard mag. change drill (works good). However, if you have Spine backed magazines this will NOT work!! If your mags do not have spines it works pretty good.

I would give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one and I don't like it. It makes using the new mag to strip the old mag almost impossible. When I used it at the range today it caused a lot of fumbles. I took it off. If anyone wants mine they can have it. Waste of money.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:47:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: netofficer3710] [#16]
oops...
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]
The institutional inertia in this thread is overwhelming.

I have one on my SGL-31 and it does nothing but help. It cannot hurt your performance.

You can STILL USE YOUR OLD TECHNIQUE WITH THIS MOD INSTALLED, it just helps speed up the process.

If you actually try and use this thing like it's designed to be, it cuts your reload time in half.

1.) Empty mag

2.) Trigger finger presses release lever while support hand retrieves fresh mag

3.) Empty mag drops free and fresh mag is inserted.

4.) Charge weapon and fire.

If the mag doesn't drop free, you can just bump it out of the way with the fresh mag, and still save a lot of time.

It's not rocket surgery. It takes some dead time out of reloading. How is that bad? The "piece of shit/junk" comments don't make a whole lot of sense.

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 12:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glockfan] [#18]
It does not make reloading faster. IF you try to use the faster method of reloading using a fresh mag to strip the old one out about 1/2 the time the EMA lever causes the old mag to stick and not release. I got rid of this lever after buying one. For me it was a waste of money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN8IB8zSyE8
Link Posted: 10/11/2010 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#19]
tough crowd
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By PRMAN45ACP:

This and when you do get them adjusted they fall off after a while.

Don't waste your money.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By MOS2111:

make it from metal, and extend the tab on the base so old school mag changes can still be done with a 2nd mag, and I would be in.  I could destroy that polymer in 4 range trips accidentally....

Like this one that Midway has been selling?

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/Default.aspx#167548____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Perhaps a better option since the EMA does not work with the majority of steel mags.

http://www.innovative-ordnance.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=18&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=66
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:41:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#23]
Its not rocket surgery, I love that idiom, use it all the time...

and yea, this thing look nice, but Its somthing that I can do without.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 3:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#24]
I love my EMA mag release. It's held up very well to several hundred loadings and doesn't look all beat up like you'd think despite being polymer and whacked with steel mags all the time. I don't use the side tabs very often (or ever?) but I like how it adds a "base" that extends under the trigger guard and adds about a half inch to the mag release's length. For me, it makes "tactical" reloads faster and smoother, and "normal" mag changes more comfortable due to the extra length. I have arthritis, and more leverage = less "grabbing effort" =

Some may find it completely useless, but I think it's one of the best upgrades I've done to my AK dollar-for-dollar.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I have used one for a couple hundred rounds now and like it. They are not that bad...
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I think it looks like a great idea.  I bought one, and I will post up what I think about it after I get some range time with it.

The metal one looks like it would work great, too, but I'm not drilling holes in my $1,200 rifle to put one of those on it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 2:45:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#28]
I bought one, I used it, I like it.  It works fine with all my mags, even euro spined mags.  I find it to be an improvement over the stock mag catch for competitive shooting, as I can release the mag without moving my strong hand from the grip, and by extending the catch beneath the trigger guard, makes it easier to find the mag catch when I'm in a hurry.  Also, it reduces the perceived effort to operate the latch, having more surface area and leverage than the existing latch on my rifle.  This is my first and only product from this company that I have ever used, but if I ever make another 'practical' AK, I will buy another.  

Here is my practical AK build thread.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought one of these mag catches and it works fine. I wanted to put it on my PSL because it could really benefit from it but it wouldn't fit so I have it on my Vepr II. I need to go field test this unit. One of my concerns is the larger mag catch profile might be vulnerable to getting caught on foliage while traversing dense brush, though I have yet to encounter any such problems.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I had that sheet metal one and removed it in less than a year. The metal is thin and easily starts to bend downwards with normal use . The rivets also loosened up, causing it to wobble. For me, it wasn't worth keeping it on.  I drilled out the rivets and removed the part.   I didn't even save the part afterwards, I just threw it away.  Good design; Poor execution.  

Now I have two cool drain holes in my lever

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#31]
i love mine, no problems at all
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ZombieGunner:
i love mine, no problems at all

Ditto.  With practice, bulgy 74 mags drop free for me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got one, works great with my surplus steel magazines. Seems to be holding up fine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#34]
CAA-EMA makes some good gear, I believe this company tests its gear and accepts user input in a pretty positive manner. I may or may not give the product a try but I do know thy build quality, affordablee gear.

"It's better to live one day as a lion, than 100 years as a sheep"

Old Italian Proverb
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Mine was a piece of shit.  It fit on my .223 WASR.  Put a mag on and they won't come off because of the spine on the mags.  Had to modify it to get the mag out.  Wouldn't work after that.  Waste of $15!!!

The vendor gave no warning about it not fitting.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Rocksarge, I get that it didn't fit your rifle.  Thing is, I've bought real commie  AK mags that don't fit.  Real commie handguards and butt stocks that don't fit.  How does their product not fitting your odd ball gun make it a piece of shit?
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I have one, I like it. I don't use it with my trigger finger like the picture. I just use it like a standard mag release. makes the release a little longer giving you more leverage and it's rounded and plastic so it's more comfortable on your thumb. Also good for slapping the the empty mag out of the way with the full one like this.
AK Reload
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By eodinert:

Rocksarge, I get that it didn't fit your rifle.  Thing is, I've bought real commie  AK mags that don't fit.  Real commie handguards and butt stocks that don't fit.  How does their product not fitting your odd ball gun make it a piece of shit?

They didn't give any disclaimer and I wasted money and had to destroy it to remove it.  That makes it a piece of shit!

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I used the EMA tactical release because after a while from unloading and reloading magazines on drills my thumb will start to get raw.  The EMA Tactical cures all that..  It makes the standard magazine changes easier because it extends the magazine latch out and is not sharp.  Once it is attached I would leave it at that and not take it out.  As I would think the threads in it will strip easily.  The Side things are useless.  Not enough force to unlatch and drop the magazine.  For standard use it is awesome piece.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Will this EMA AK mag release work with the Sig 556R?
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Bought a couple of them.  Only a little problem inserting some mags but felt that all mags should work.  Took them off after a couple range days when myself and a couple buddies all thought  they are more in the way than useful.  If you know how to change a mag you don't need this.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I have one on my AK47.Because I have arthritic fingers its a great help. Jet71.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I have one and like it.  Speed changes work like always and it has held up very well.  I use almost exclusively polymer mags, not sure if that contributes. Where I find it particularly useful is tactical reloads where I don't want to just bat my half empty mag to the ground.  I have pretty good sized hands and I find the release makes it very easy to release the partially empty mag into my left hand with the full mag already in my hand (clamping it against my forefinger with the other three) and then rocking the fresh mag in place.  

For me, I found it money well spent (and not much money either).

John
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Today's Link:
http://store.commandarms.com/products/AKMR.html
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I have one. Works great. Works with every mag I have, spine or not. Yugo BHO surplus, Croatian BHO, Korean surplus, Crapco, Arsenal, Pro Mag, Waffle Polymer
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#46]
The 556 mags are too straight for this to work well, as the bottom tab doesn't have enough room to move forward to release the rear tab on the mag.

However, it works great on the 762 mags because the curve allows the bottom tab on the unit to move forward far enough to release the rear magazine tab.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#47]
has anyone seen the enhanced speed chance by RAM....it is a much better product well made from 16 gauge material and easy to install....gives you the option of using the trigger finger to release the mag as well still being able to use the traditional release,,,, works perfectly with spined surplus mags

http://www.ramsfs.com/Pages/RAMEnhancedSpeedCatch.aspx

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I had one.  My finger wouldn't reach the part I had to push against for it you work.  I threw it in the trash.  ever had a problem with the .mil release anyway;
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow.... i thought the mil-spec AR crowd was adverse to change. I can see where this would give the user options in changing mags and maybe even speed them up. Kinda works like my Tikka  CTR mag release. I have often wondered if my AK variants would benefit... looks like it may be worth a try.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ridgeline:
I had one.  My finger wouldn't reach the part I had to push against for it you work.  I threw it in the trash.  ever had a problem with the .mil release anyway;
View Quote

FYI this mag-release actually has an extended tab for doing regular mag-changes. Which from my use, I still only do the 'standard' release with this EMA product anyway.

So not sure how you could install it, not understand how to use it, yet still get the concept of using the standard .mil release anyway.

Again, I do agree, their is nothing wrong with the standard mag-tab on most/all AKs. It works fine, but for me, this thing works better.

I don't care about the side-tab aspect of this thing, that's meh. But having a nice extension to the standard release (on my Bulgy SLR-107) is a nice improvement.

This is coming from a guy that has reverted from using a newer 'tacticool' Krebs safety, back to the standard factory/AK safety. So I'm not just being a fanboy here, at all. In fact, part of me expected this thing to break/fall-off long ago. But it still is holding firm and works great.

Now the negatives, or little nit-picks I have:

They should have made this out of metal, or at least metal-reinforced in a few key areas. Most importantly the screw holes should have been steel.
-Measure twice, cut once. When you put this thing on your AK, make darn well certain it is on right/snug/perfect. This isn't something you will want to take on/off, because of the polymer screw-slots (not the best threads for a screw).

This being said, it still works just fine for me. Doing regular push the tab with finger reloads, or even the 'tacticool' bash the tab with fresh mag to knock out old mag reloads... If one day it happens to break on me, I'm not sure I would buy another, but I would probably look around for an extended metal-tab. That extra length, really makes things a bit nicer.

So FWIW, +1 on this product and working with 7.62x39 mags, spine/smooth/polymer, works for all that I use anyway...
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top