Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/12/2016 3:57:20 AM EDT
I've been looking into getting an AK and came across these. Are they any good? I know I should stay away from IO and Century. Anything else I should look for instead? I may wait a while to see how far prices actually drop, but they seem to fit in my $600-$700 price range that I want to drop on one. They also seem to be a good platform to add aftermarket parts to. Fore end, stock etc....

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: Also if this thread is in the wrong place I do apologize. Feel free to move it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Most folks say they're good to go.  It passed the AK Operators Union 5,000-round test.  Probably a safe bet if you can find one in stock.  They pop up and sell out right away over and over.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
They seem to be G2G. As said, they passed a rather brutal testing from a certain You Tuber, and not many have fared nearly as well.
I avoid Century builds, but they import the WASR. If you can find one with a decent price, good for you. If you find a newer production, as in 2015+ IIRC, they come with Green Mountain barrels. These are very sought after.
Happy shopping.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought the blem barreled receiver online for $359 and the basic black build kit for $99. It went together without a hitch. I took it to the range and it shot everything I fed it. It is easily on par with a SAR-1. No canted sights and the mags lock up tight.

I added the sling, cleaning rod, and picked up a bayonet with a red bakelite handle at the flea market in Columbia today. It's a terrific gun for the money.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
get a real trashcan gun and not an american copy of one.

WASR for the win!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a blem kit and assembled it in about 15 minutes. NO problems, it runs perfectly. After shooting it for a week I sold my WASR.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get a real trashcan gun and not an american copy of one.

WASR for the win!!!
View Quote
Romy AKs are good guns (HELLA durable bbls, and ultra reliable over all), but lets not pretend that any imported AK is perfect. Canted sights, shitty non-durable finishes, accuracy that generally blows, limited handguard options (compared to ARs anyway), less than optimal light/optic mounting solutions, crappy sling set up, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love me some AKs, but they ain't perfect. It's entirely possible that, at some point, American AKs will be the best you can buy. It honestly wouldn't be that hard. PSA might be the company that finally pulls it off. I'm not saying they are there yet, but really, if they have American-quality finishes, good/accurate US bbls, straight sights and they are reliable, they'll be ahead of most imports.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:11:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm holding off on the PSA for a while. They never seem to be in stock (shocker) and the cheaper versions seem to have a lot of issues. A buddy of mine bought a Lee Armory a few months back. It was a very nice rifle. Shot well and a good fit and finish. I think I'm going to o with them for now.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top