Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2016 3:58:46 PM EDT
I've built enough AR's now and I'm starting to get a little bored with them.  Thought it would be a good time to add something different to the safe.  I want to get one fully assembled for my first one to see how well I like it.  I'm also not looking to mod it all out.  I'm more interested in the classic look.  From the little research I did, it seems like IO arms is on the no-fly list and Century is a crap shoot.  DDI did catch my interest in one review because of the accuracy.  Not looking to go over the $800 price range. (This comment is for all of you who are going to recommend a $1000 to someone new to the AK world.)

So what are your ideas?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
under 800 then the only choice you have is a WASR and maybe the DDI. Bulgarian SLR series is going to be way above your price range

you basically came way, way late (because of age?) in acquiring   cheap first starter  AK rifles (around 200 bucks). now, they are all very pricey.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Um, new wasr's are pretty good guns, Ive had good luck with two npaps,  plus an M-85. Dont be afraid to look for a used gun either, just make sure the sights are straight and with everything used you need to figure out why its being sold.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't always recommend Yugo AKs as someone's first AK since they're built on the M70 pattern rather than the AKM pattern, which makes shopping for furniture and accessories a bit of a headache. But since you've indicated that you're interested in the classic look (i.e., keeping the wood furniture) I feel better about recommending an NPAP. Zastava in Serbia is one of the classic eastern bloc military arsenals, and while the NPAP isn't a military-derivative rifle, it's nevertheless a well-built rifle and it's fit and finish is amongst the best you'll find in a factory-built AK. They have no business being as cheap as they are (or rather, other AKs have no business being as comparatively more-expensive as they are).
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as your comment goes about the Century guns meh, I've owned 2 WASRs I bought one of them at 19 when I didn't know shit about guns. I did get lots of jams with it but I was buying Korean mags so take that for what you will I ended up selling it before I could shoot well with it. I've since got another WASR and I can nail a 12" steel gong at 300 meters with irons in prone or off the bench, I believe that's all any civvy would really need in a rifle and not sure if most AKa are capable of anymore serious accuracy.

ETA: meant to add my current WASR has had zero jams in about 600 rounds and I'm using Tapco 30s, 20s and (mainly)surplus steel 30s. IMO it's also obligatory to purchase at least 2 bakelite mags I just got mine a day or two ago and they cool.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as your comment goes about the Century guns meh, I've owned 2 WASRs I bought one of them at 19 when I didn't know shit about guns. I did get lots of jams with it but I was buying Korean mags so take that for what you will I ended up selling it before I could shoot well with it. I've since got another WASR and I can nail a 12" steel gong at 300 meters with irons in prone or off the bench, I believe that's all any civvy would really need in a rifle and not sure if most AKa are capable of anymore serious accuracy.

ETA: meant to add my current WASR has had zero jams in about 600 rounds and I'm using Tapco 30s, 20s and (mainly)surplus steel 30s. IMO it's also obligatory to purchase at least 2 bakelite mags I just got mine a day or two ago and they cool.
View Quote

The WASR isn't a Century-built rifle, they're just the importer. OP was referring to Century-builds guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The WASR isn't a Century-built rifle, they're just the importer. OP was referring to Century-builds guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I wasn't sure what was meant by century gun, also I'm not so keen on the ins and outs of importing/manufacturing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:29:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Classic Firearms have Hungarian amd's on sale for 500-ish. I just bought one as a first ak to see how i like the platform. They have good reviews, and tho a little odd as far as ak types go, they might be a good option for you.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-63-7-62x39-rifle-with-solid-stock-phoenix-stock-type2

They have amd 63 and 65 models with either folding or fixed stocks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Classic Firearms have Hungarian amd's on sale for 500-ish. I just bought one as a first ak to see how i like the platform. They have good reviews, and tho a little odd as far as ak types go, they might be a good option for you.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-63-7-62x39-rifle-with-solid-stock-phoenix-stock-type2

View Quote

Wow I like that, damn I just bought an Aimpoint. Those will be nice if you can swap furniture.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend 200 more and get a molot fm-ak47
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm no expert but Classic Firearms sure seems to have a few of what you're looking for but again, I'm no expert. I do own an AK-74 and paid $500 for it back in 2012.

Classic Firearms AK choices

Maybe this Century underfolder if you're willing to deal with a Century gun. I'd want to test fire that one before I bought it though.

Century Underfolder in Montana
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would strongly advise skipping this rifle. It's priced low for a reason, the barrels are dead soft (~5 RC vs the ~30 RC they should be).  Plenty of empirical info here:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278804
(didn't see anything in the rules about posting informative off-site links, new AR guy here)

And you're correct to skip on any IO, or any Century US-made product, they're garbage. Broken bolt carriers, improper heat treating, sloppy workmanship, etc.

I'd agree with notyouratty and suggest an NPAP or an OPAP if you could find one. The new WASRs are reported to be good as well. The only issue with a Yugo is if you wanted to swap the furniture out or hang rails off it, but even then there's solid options available.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking into buying another ak 47. I just a have romy ak and i would like to add another one. I'm looking at the DDI or the Vepr ak47 or similar in the price range of $1K. Since i already have a traditional looking ak with my romy ak, i do plan on adding aftermarket accessories. But since i don't have any other experience with other brands can you guys suggest anything or if you already own one of these brands, how do you like it? how do they might compare to arsenal branded ak's?

A little fun tid bit. I live in cali, so no underfolder or side folding stocks lol.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm hoping with Trump we'll see cheaper prices on gun stuff again. I miss the 99 dollar kit days.......
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top