Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/24/2014 4:44:35 PM EDT
Just curious how you're liking it. The 5.56 AK mags are kind of pricey and hard to find, if I knew I could have mag and ammo commonality between the AR and AK that'd be a big positive in the "should I get a 5.56 AK" column.

Note: I have a 7.62x39 AK and prefer those mags, but I'm specifically looking at adding another variant.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
This is relevant to my interest. I'd like a 5.56 AK but can't see having something that doesn't use the mags I have boxes full of.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
There is SO much variation in 5.55 AKs that each is it's own beastie...

Which Magazines will work for a Saiga depend if you do , or do not have a bullet guide installed.

Bakelite converted 5.45 to 5.56 Century mags for SAR-3 won't work on a Bulgarian Bulgarian FLR-106

Yugo M-90s don't feed in Valmet M-76s?

Galil is the only one that has a "standard" NATO STANAG  converter, and those are rare and expensive...

There have been some home brewed companies making mag adaptors for the Saigas, but some of those are permanent conversions.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a standard for the big three of euro exporters for 5.56 mags. One thing to note that the saiga .223 does not use a mil pattern mag like vepr IV. Polish , Russian (Milspec) and Bulgarian all use the same pattern. As for mag adapters in most guns people mess up the trunnion to get them to work. Only gun that is 5.56 that has them from the factory currently is the Polish Beryl.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a standard for the big three of euro exporters for 5.56 mags. One thing to note that the saiga .223 does not use a mil pattern mag like vepr IV. Polish , Russian (Milspec) and Bulgarian all use the same pattern. As for mag adapters in most guns people mess up the trunnion to get them to work. Only gun that is 5.56 that has them from the factory currently is the Polish Beryl.
View Quote

Are Beryl's available in the US?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The Beryl itself is available as the Radom Archer.. I think it's still being imported. There are some differences between the Archer and mil Beryl, and I don't believe anybody sells the Radom STANAG adapter.

If you're asking about the Beryl mags, you can buy these in the US, e.g. from Robert RTG Parts, and some sellers on auction sites. These conform to the Polish/Russian/Bulgarian pattern.

This is the Radom STANAG adapter which supposedly is available in some shape or form for the Beryl/Archer, but never heard of anyone in the US getting it. I don't know what if any modifications had to be made to the standard magwell/trunnion for the Radom adapter.

The US-made mag well conversions do require a bit of milling on the trunnion. I wish I had some machining experience, because just inserting a Pmag into my Saiga .223, I can see how it could potentially be done without trunnion modification.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been wanting one (or two) of the Polish mag adapter for years now.  I've emailed RADOM but got no response.

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used both Tapco Galil mags and Israeli steel Galil mags in my Saiga 223 SO FAR without any issues. They have a stupid amount of mag wobble but they work. I would love to have a good quality STANAG mag adapter that would not require permanent modification to the rifle.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top