Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:23 PM EDT
Well, I finally got to shoot this thing and I'm impressed - what a rifle!  When I did my part running thru the practical course on the clock (3 targets/ 4 yards apart and staggered at anywhere from 5-15 yards distance) double taps were touching.  Everybody else was running Eotechs on ARs.  I liked the Valmet irons.  Everybody wanted to shoot it though - most comments were positive but these are AR Carbine guys so they didn't like the weight.   I shot my AR carbine too but it just wasn't as fun.

Anyway, a couple of questions-comments:

I got to get a sling - any suggestions?

This thing throws brass into the stratosphere (a good 15-20 yards back and to the right) and dents them as well - is there some way to adjust the force of this?  I don't have a manual yet - maybe it's in there.  

Also and probably related, the area of the top cover behind the cartridge ejection port-opening (I can't think of what this is called) is now marred with a series of very small surface contusions all in the same 3/4" x 1/4" area.  I am assuming the brass is doing this.  Anybody else have this problem and where can I get one of those cool Finnish brass deflectors that would go on the cover at about this location?

This rifle is one serious weapon and I can't wait to take it to carbine class - I just hope my Tromix come in time.  Babying the factory mags is a pain in the butt.

John
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]

I got to get a sling - any suggestions?

"Correct" sling is probably a bit tough to find, but I've seen them with green Finnish leather slings with square buckles.  Mine came with a black nylon sling.  Just about any "tactical" sling will work.

This thing throws brass into the stratosphere (a good 15-20 yards back and to the right) and dents them as well - is there some way to adjust the force of this? I don't have a manual yet - maybe it's in there.

It's an Ak...they have a generally strong ejection.  As to the denting, you'll note your receiver cover will get brass kisses, so I apply a bit of tape to soften the impact and to avoid marring the finish.  There was a ejector port buffer available as an option, but these can be tough to find.  I think they run about $40-$50 (I don't use one).

Also and probably related, the area of the top cover behind the cartridge ejection port-opening (I can't think of what this is called) is now marred with a series of very small surface contusions all in the same 3/4" x 1/4" area. I am assuming the brass is doing this. Anybody else have this problem and where can I get one of those cool Finnish brass deflectors that would go on the cover at about this location?

The buffers show up on gunbroker from time to time.  A vendor, Vulcan (not Hesse, but another Vulcan IIRC) had some in stock a year or two ago, but I haven't seen him post any for sale lately.

This rifle is one serious weapon and I can't wait to take it to carbine class - I just hope my Tromix come in time. Babying the factory mags is a pain in the butt.

Make sure to baby 'em...they aren't getting any cheaper.

I've made mags for my 76F out of both Bulgarian and Weigar .223 mags.  I've got under $25 in each mag and they work great.  Got about 15 or so mags total, including my factory mags (I did find a 30 rd Valmet factory mag labeled "SKS mag" in a bin at a local pawn...got it for $25 :D )

If you look below, there's a post I made w/ pix about my conversion of various mags to work in the Valmet.

http://images5.fotki.com/v62/photos/2/28682/767843/1202085_IMG-vi.jpg
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Ooh....last Valmet port  buffers offered for sale on valmet.org went for $75 ea.!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I saw that too.  I emailed the guy and told him to save me one if he ever gets in more.  In the mean time, black electrical tape will do.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top