Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:22:53 AM EDT
Well, I think I've found something.  I'm going to keep it a secret until I have it in my hot little hands - I'll post photos.  

My FFL dealer will send an inked FFL.  In the mean time, I need to send a lot of money out of state to a private person I don't know.    What is the best way to do this so my ass is covered?  I will send it registered with a signed receipt required to document that he received it but what form of payment (other than personal check) is most easily documented if something should happen?  I want to have something that shows he cashed my payment.  

Thanks for the help!  The Galil/Valmet forum is the best!

John
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#1]
First, your FFL only needs to fax their FFL, a signed copy is no longer required.

Unfortunetly there's no real 100% safe way to order from the internet, especially from an individual that you do not know.  

If he accepts credit card via online transaction services such as Paypal(which is antigun) that would be the most secure way.

With USPS postal money order being the next runner up, where you can get postal inspectors involved should something go wrong,  although just like any money order it's pretty much the same as giving out cash (except you put the proper receiver's name on it), recovering the fund is not likely should the seller decide to fraud you.

I don't think it's necessary to mail it registered AT ALL, I would only mail it certified at the very most but even I don't do that anymore.  

It doesn't prevent mail fraud, it just makes sure that it gets delivered to the person intended.  So if the guy is a fraud what good does it do?

Plus it just prolongs the process since it requires signature, if the receiver is not at home at the time he'll have to wait for the next time it gets deliverd, do this enough times and the mail will end up being returned it to the sender.  

I think instead of paying for registered mail, the money is better spent on mailing it priority mail which reduces the transit time by about 50%, meaning less chance of it getting lost.  But that's only if you're really impatient though

You need to make sure that you retain the original receipt for the MO in the event that the MO gets lost during transit, and the bank/postal office will be able to issue you a replacement.

I have used USPS MO hundreds of times, never had a problem. Never need to mail it registered.  

and Lastly, if possible always buy from an reputable seller.  If a deal sounds too good to be true? it Probably is!

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Do the transaction through a third party like www.escrow.com.

Funds are made to the 3rd party, seller ships, buyer inspects, funds are released or rifle is returned to seller after a agreed time period.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Check around the sight where you found it.  Is he a regualr?  A new poster?  Does he have any feed back?  There are very few guys who would snake a deal away from you.  You can ask around about the guy if you want.  IM some guys on the site(is it here?)  Arfcom has a hall of shame to check.  Run searches on the feedback section.  

One I sold my first big dollar gun I bought a digital camera to prove that I had the rifle.  can he prove he has it?

Also give us some hints!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
On all my high dollar buys, try and make sure you have a background on the seller, someone who knows them, if he frequents the site, on other selling site like GB, GA, AA they have feedback on all who sell & buy. I use mo hate too but most popular way for sellers, I send them overnight
delivery with a tracking # so I know when it arrives. This way I can keep in communications with them. Also I do overnight delivery on high dollar items, it cost more but I am willing to pay for it
plus insure everything. This will not prevent losing the item, but at least some recovery. One more thing mail fraud is a federal offense not a good idea to do. Paypal, escrow companies like traditor
you can use. I have been very fortunate with my buys. Good luck hope this help.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help!  I'll try some of these methods.  

No hints about the purchase - I don't want to jinx it.

John
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top