Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 4:13:06 PM EDT
I saw a Hadar in a gun shop a few days ago. It was in good shape, but ugly thanks to the 89 import ban.

I am thinking about buying it because I have wanted a .308 Galil for some time, but the last .308 Galil I saw at a gun show was 3,800.

Here is what I would like to know more about;

1) What is a good price for these? the gun shop wants $800

2) Can you mount a scope on it

3) Will it take Galil .308 mags

4) Are they worth buying or should I look for another .308?

5) Can a HADAR be made into a Galil AR or ARM with US Made parts?

6) How accurate are they, or a .308 Galil?

I know it is a lot of questions but I do not know too much about these rifles.

Thanks

Chris
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a GREAT price.

The mags are the same as a Galil mag. You may run into problems converting it
into a Galil because some of the parts you will need are scarce. You probably
could get close enough to make you feel good.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Hadar doesn't haven't have a scope mount milled into the reciever like a regular Galil but you could mount a regular AK scope rail to it.

It takes standard .308 Galil mags.

Parts like the folder and PG will bolt right on and the top covers are interchangable. The problem will be the gas block and handguard retainer. The Hadar has a thicker barrel than the standard .308 Galil so the gas blocks aren't interchangable. The rear handguard retainer can be modded to work. 5.56 parts can be used for the conversion and are interchangable with the .308 parts.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/tdh4545/hadar1.jpg
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a neat picture.

Parts like the folder and PG will bolt right on

Are you saying the Hadar had the hole in the rear of the receiver where the folding buttstock
was mounted?

I also noticed that the left side selector switch on the Hadar is different.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Are you saying the Hadar had the hole in the rear of the receiver where the folding buttstock
was mounted?

Yes, the reciever is the same minus the scope cut.

I also noticed that the left side selector switch on the Hadar is different.

The Hadar safety lever is longer than the standard lever so it extends beyond the cutout in the pistolgrip slightly. I actually like it better than the regular one, it's easier to manipulate.

Of course, I don't see why a regular Galil gas block couldn't be hogged out to fit the larger barrel of a Hadar.

It might be possible, but there wouldn't be much metal left. Turning down the barrel would be better but more complicated.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]
$800 is a great price. I paid $1000 for mine. I tried to take the wood stock off. There is a thru bolt under the butt plate as well as the obvious places. Try as I must, the receiver wouldn't come out. Later, a forum member said the stocks are glued in. So to remove it means destroying the wood stock. Gun Parts in West Hurley, NY used to have Haddar II stocks. Should you want to go back. I'd heard the Haddar II is a Galil sniper rifle made politically correct. I've yet to fire mine (bought it for hunting). Since I don't know whats under the wood...let me know what you find. Or...shoot as is. Idea: For a scope, try a Valmet dust cover with the scope mount. Or any other AK dust cover mount.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top