Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/26/2003 10:29:31 AM EDT
Not ever seeing both in person, what are the part differences between the AR and SAR? The obvious differences are the barrel, gastube, and piston, anything else?

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Never having handled an SAR, Im pretty sure those are the only differences.

Contact www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

They are doing SAR SBR conversions on the Galil

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
barrel, gas tube, gas piston, location of gas block.  Have one rear recoil spring assembly section that is distinctly shorter than the others, however I don't know if this is a fluke, a variation, or a SAR>  The SAR pictured has the same size recoil assy rear section.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/webpictures/galilsar05.jpg

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/webpictures/galilsar06.jpg

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks gunplumber, just what I was looking for. Cant decide whether to build an ARM, AR, or SAR.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#4]
My preference in .308 is an 18" AR, and in .223 is a 16" or 15"+brake=16"

Bipods, carry handles -  they add weight and bulk but won't make you a better shooter.

Unless you have plans to scope it and use only from a bench or "defensive" position -= shitcan the bipod and carry handle.

The SAR is neat, but a lot of $$ to spend for a few inches.

I also do a .308 shorty - 15" + HK flash hider.   pics on website under gunsmith/ak

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The AR is probably the way to go, but the SAR is pretty cool. Ive had lots of AKs, figure its time to start upgrading to the good stuff. Ive seen the pics you have and they all look really nice. I could kick myself about 2 years ago at a show I saw a guy selling an imi galil receiver w/ brand new galil kit, he was asking $750 for it. Thanks for all the help, Im sure Ill have some more questions for you. Thanks.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top