Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/13/2003 12:31:37 PM EDT
From Sharks email:

These are LM4 (civilian R4) and H5's. If you are not familiar with the H5 it's a pump action version of the LM's cos even a semi auto LM is impossible to license in SA these days. Have to be a serious collector or sportsman to get one.
I am waiting for an LM5 license, and this mate is waiting for a LM5 and LM6.

Will take pics of them all for the board.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait a minute.

I thought in SA you could buy any firearm you really wanted and it was legal. Please correct me.

Nice pics BTW too

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:12:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Not anymore M4, the new regime is making it near impossible to get semi-auto firearms, and guns of any type are now very tightly controlled over there.

Unless we're talking about that AK that you got to resist the "man" that you keep under your bed in the hovel you live in in the townships.

As long as you're a member of the ANC in good standing anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Lumpy,

There are going to be three classes of firearms in the new SA law, normal, restricted and prohibited.
Semi auto rifles fall into restricted and full auto into prohibited.
One good thing is that previosly there was never a real way to license a prohibited arm, now there will be. How difficult it will be is debateable. Previosly you needed a special letter from some minister to own one in your collection.
Legally you can own any restricted arm if you can prove a need, (collection, sport) but these are being refused thus forcing the long appeal process to finally get the license. I waited since January to get one that I should finally get next week.

On the guns themselves, the LM series are awesome variants of the AK design, even though they are on the heavy side.
I'll get pics of the 4,5 and 6 together as soon as the licenses are recieved... erm , refused, appealed, granted. recieved.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
shark_za,

Thanks for that info and welcome to the board. Are handguns going to be in the "restricted" calss of firearms as well?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Handguns are normal firearms but there will be a limit for normal use.
One per person can be justified for personal protection.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok..this is basically the deal..
The new law should be comming in soon. Under this law, each person will be restricted to 1 handgun OR shotgun for self defence, and 3 rifles. These need to be properly motivated, and can still be refused. If you have been declared a dedicated hunter/sportsman or collector (a major mission with way too much involved) then you can motivate more. These licences under these categories will be granted on an individual application basis. At the moment, most applications are being refused, and i don't think this will change much. The powers have said that they are gonna make it as hard as they can to get a licence, with a wait of up to a year. Basically everything is screwed. I expect even category 2 collectors (restricted) will have huge hassles gettng licences. Then there is the problem of everyone needing a competency certificate that has not been finalised, and all ranges having to be accredited (with no accreditation requirements even drawn up yet)
100 Hours of training was even suggested!
Hmm...things are getting tough. But we are still up and fighting. Plans are underway for court challenges, and other tactics. Either way, gun rights have been screwed here...part of the global move to disarmament.
I am a collector/dealer/instructor and am fighting this all the way. I think many ppl are gonna lose the firearms they are being granted now..with re-licencing every 5 years.
Clarifies things..but scary..ain't it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Well,

I see your situation like this. Keep in mind I dont know much about SA but I think this is how it is...

Over there its a white Vs. Black (Like you didnt know that)

The black committing crimes and killing innocent people do not care about the gun laws.

The whites, who do want to abide by the law and do things in a legal manner are the ones getting screwed around with.

In a years time whites will start getting unarmed more and more, but the killers will still be armed the same or more so.

I think your government is trying to make you the targets.

I wish you luck.

In that post was no way of an attack against black people. IF you are offended by my post, please go educate yourself about the current political situation in South Africa and see that its a virtual race war.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
This is not a race issue at all, ALL legal firearm owners are being restricted.

My opinion is that if it was not for the majority vote (read black) all firearms would have been banned already.
Its just a stupid situation that politicians think less guns less crime.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top