Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2017 1:16:28 PM EDT
since they seems impossible to find I'm wondering if anyone has a cad file or blueprints to build one..
I have access to a couple of suppliers at work that could do the job for me
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
While you are at it, have them make some gas tube rails.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought some of them many years ago (25 or 30 years ago) and installed one in one of my Galils.

Did you every find one for yours?

I may still have a couple of them some where in storage.

I will try to find them.  It will take a while for me to get over to storage.
I will try to find out a value for them.
I don't remember what company made them.
I found an old picture of it.
I remember it was a tight fit and installed a spring and roll pin to make it work better.
If I get a chance and can get to that safe it is in, I will take a picture of mine that is in the rifle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
These UA marked adapters were going for ~$100 or so a few years back, didn't know they've become hen's teeth.  I have an original IMI  Magnum Research mag adapter that I got quite a few years back - haven't seen another one ever since - rarer than hen's teeth I guess 

ETA: With some digging around I found a pic on the UziTalk forums that showed 5 different types of mag adapters. The one I have is the the first one on the top which is said to be from Magnum Research.  The top 2 have locking pins that prevent accidentally using the mag release on the rifle with the mag adapter attached.  No markings what so ever on the adapter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
No luck finding one so far. If you want to sell one of yours send me an IM.

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No luck finding one so far. If you want to sell one of yours send me an IM.

View Quote
OK! Let me go look for it in storage.
It has been in there for 25-30 years.................
It may take a few days to find it.
Got to dig thru some boxes.

Ron

It is not going to be for sale.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Found this on line: Not mine, just for information only.

One of the big advantages of the upcoming Galil ACE line from IWI is the ability to take standard magazines. While I have no particular problem with Galil mags, they’re pretty much proprietary to the Galil (well, and the SiGalil). Being able to use AK, AR-15, and SR-25 (“DPMS-style”) magazines is a big step forward for the Galil platform.

One lesser-known feature of the Galil, though, is that with some work and an adapter, you can get it running AR-15 magazines.
There were a fair number of AR-15 magazine adapters made for the Galil. Let’s talk about them:
•Uzi America adapter: prominently stamped with a “UA” in a circle. These were made by IMI and are considered to be the best adapters… they generally run $125-$200 when you can find them, which is not often. I have heard that Action Arms also sold these, but unmarked by a UA symbol. I’ve heard they don’t fit full-auto Galils, but don’t have confirmation.
•Magnum Research adapter: Very similar to the Uzi America adapter, but had a pin to prevent the magazine adapter from being released accidentally – nice feature. Very hard to find.
•MSA / Texas AK Designs adapter: generally well-thought-of and still supported, but their customer service is suspect (the polite way of saying that they pissed off a lot of people).
•Blackthorne adapter: the cheapest option, but it will require SUBSTANTIAL fitting to make it work. No markings.

I have an unmarked adapter. It required a lot of fitting (not done by me) on a Galil with CNCWarrior receiver, so I’m guessing it’s a Blackthorne. If you have experience fitting AK magazines by filing lugs, you pretty much know what you’re in for. Some quality time with a file and dremel grinding wheel will get you there.
A more scary modification that you need to make is possibly modifying the front trunnion to allow full insertion of the AR magazine. On my gun, at least, the magazine hits the front trunnion and stops a tiny bit short of locking in.

That’s also easily solved with a dremel and a file, but the front trunnion is such an integral part of the rifle that you need to be damned sure you’re only taking off exactly what you need. This is not quite as big a deal on a Galil or milled AK due to the front trunnion being part of the receiver – you’ve got a lot more material to work with – but doing a little and then testing is the way to go here. You can always find another adapter, but mistakes with a Galil receiver can be very expensive. I farmed this out to a proper gunsmith for peace of mind.

Once all that’s done, you may still need to adjust the lugs for the feed angle on the gun. Thankfully, my setup was in pretty good shape and didn’t require anything like that.
In terms of magazine compatibility, the adapter I had could take pretty much anything (aluminum mags fit best, pmags were fine, Lancers were surprisingly tight). Nothing was going to drop free, but you need to use your support hand to actuate the magazine release, so you can rip them right out at the same time – call it “manual positive extraction”. The Galil has no bolt hold open mechanism, so there’s no additional manual of arms involved beyond remembering not to try to use the native magazine release.

Speaking of which, I can’t drop my magazine adapter using the Galil’s native mag release unless there’s no magazine in the adapter. I don’t know if that’s how all the adapters work, but it seems good to me.

Now, from a practical value standpoint, I don’t think these conversions are a necessity, or even all that worthwhile. $100-$150 for an adapter and the fitting work will buy you 5-7 real-deal Galil magazines, which is all you really need. But if you like the idea of being able to reuse your AR mags in an emergency, or even just tossing your Galil in the trunk as a “freebie” when taking your AR-15 out to the range… those seem like reasons to investigate this option.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top