Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/7/2017 7:03:48 PM EDT
I got a 308 galil, I don't know much about it. I got it from my father, I think I shot it once when I was a kid... It lived in the bottom of the safe.... It was imported by Action Arms of Philadelphia.

I have some 67 Lake city 308 can I shoot that through it safely? Ive never had anything AK.... What model is it? Is it a stupid idea, looks good barely used....
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
nice hand me down. You can shoot it (which I do to all my firearms) or keep it as pristine as it is for collector reasons. You should be fine shooting you Lake City out of it. It's an AK, it can handle almost any ammo I'd say.

Mags will be hard to find and be super expensive for it (Galil mags anyway).

I'm not up on all the models, but I'm sure someone will chime in.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I found the model number... Sorry its 329....
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 more mags, but I've read you can convert m1a mags.... Is there directions anywhere? I've looked but its always people suggesting send them to some one.... I like tinkering lol....
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
If you ever decide to sell it, PM me. 
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Any ideas on magazines?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 3 more mags, but I've read you can convert m1a mags.... Is there directions anywhere? I've looked but its always people suggesting send them to some one.... I like tinkering lol....
View Quote
You need to cut off the old mag latch plate or lug or w/e on the magazine and weld AK locking lugs on there if what I heard is true. Take it with a grain of salt though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You need to cut off the old mag latch plate or lug or w/e on the magazine and weld AK locking lugs on there if what I heard is true. Take it with a grain of salt though.
View Quote
Thats what i've read, but I can't any info on dimensions for the locking lugs... All I can find is, send the derp, he can fixem right up...... I have a tig welder and can do it my self...

I guess just measure the original mag and go from there?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Twenty five round mags start at a hundred. You could get eleven round mags for twenty five bucks. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice 329! I want a 329 to go with my 323
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd keep your Galil as is instead of doing a possibly difficult and non-reversible modification to it.

If the magazine situation is completely intolerable, I'd sell it and get a new Galil ACE. The new models take SR25 mags which are readily available. You'd have plenty of money after selling your to buy the ACE, mags, optic, and ammo.

I just hate to see near irreplaceable firearms that have survived this long modified.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd keep your Galil as is instead of doing a possibly difficult and non-reversible modification to it.

If the magazine situation is completely intolerable, I'd sell it and get a new Galil ACE. The new models take SR25 mags which are readily available. You'd have plenty of money after selling your to buy the ACE, mags, optic, and ammo.

I just hate to see near irreplaceable firearms that have survived this long modified.

AJ
View Quote
I wasn't planning to modify the galil, I have an abundance of m14 mags that I can cut and weld up. I wouldn't have to change the galil.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah, I had it backwards. I thought you were going to convert the Galil to take M14 mags.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice , keep it 100% stock . The prices have gone out of sight so treat it with care.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice rifle. It is one of my grail guns.

Put me on your list if you ever decide to sell or trade it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The pro mags, believe it of not, work great if you can find them.  They are converted m-14 type.  They are out there for $26 bucks or so.

Sweet rifle by the way.  I have one myself.  Never sell it unless you are on the brink of being homeless.  You will regret it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup Pro Mags work great, I got one at a gun show but I think I saw some at Midway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup Pro Mags work great, I got one at a gun show but I think I saw some at Midway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Twenty five round mags start at a hundred. You could get eleven round mags for twenty five bucks. 
View Quote
Wow, 25 rounders are a $100?  That's cheap compared to M-78 Valmet 20 rounders.

I bought 3 IMI 25 round mags for 25 bucks total years ago and modified them to fit my M-78 Valmet in 308.
They work perfectly after clearancing the top and adjusting the lockup.
I only had 6 20 round Valmet mags ($15 each in 1983) and needed a few more mags.

The guy had multiple cases of both, if only I'd known!
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top