Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 10:39:48 PM EDT
ive got 4 bulgy circle 10 waffle mags. i want to convert to fit my valmet 76.
looking for pics or tutorials on converting them correctly.....anyone?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I think last time I needed the info I just googled it. The best thing you can do is to use a real Valmet mags as a template and start filing to match. Check fit often.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
ive been googling....the things im finding are old, and the pictures are no longer available.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't find my original post but here are some pics of the mods:

Where to file:

Comparing the filed down version to original Bulgarian 556 mag:

How it should load with the modified mag (this is the same loading slope as the Valmet mag). I tried Galil and other AK 556 mags but none of them could present the round into the Valmet chamber this good and centered.  I checked the chambering of cartridges for functioning with a full 30 rds mags as the final step of QA process before live firing. FYI I used dummy rounds that I loaded just for this project

I was able to modify a Bulgy 545x39 mag to work and but the follower had to be modified extensively so not worth the time.  It did hold 32 rds after all the work
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
awesome....thnx.
this will help. much better knowing beforehand, instead of me fucking up a few mags trying to get it right.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Weiger, Bulgarian and other magazines were converted to Galil use, not Valmet. Do NOT use any 5.56 Galil or modified magazines in a Valmet.

IIRC Investment Grade firearms once posted a Valmet rifle modified  with a fed ramp or magazine adapter held in place with small tig welds. Comments made it clear few saw this as an upgrade or improvement.

Old pictures used to show an expanded receiver with a split front trunnion. It may happen that this does not scare you, contemplate trying to replace that Valmet trunnion.  If the bullet is set back into the case, because it struck the barrel face when being chambered, this is merely the second error of a series which will lead to catastrophic failure. The first error is using the wrong magazine. The third error is continuing to use the wrong magazine because it has not maimed you or destroyed your rifle, yet.

Yes, Valmet's are expensive. So... should not one value the rifle enough to use the correct magazine? Imagine how much more costly it would be if spare parts and magazine were cheap and available.

There is an exception to what I have posted. Those magazines are not any less expensive or more available than factory original. Just buy the factory original.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Bravo5two,

The results of your modifications look very promising. But I posted this after my rant for a reason.

DB
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weiger, Bulgarian and other magazines were converted to Galil use, not Valmet. Do NOT use any 5.56 Galil or modified magazines in a Valmet.

There is an exception to what I have posted. Those magazines are not any less expensive or more available than factory original. Just buy the factory original.
View Quote
Mostly I agree, with a few exceptions. I have a number of Tromix [Tony Rumore] converted Weiger mags that all work fine. Apparently he also converted Bulgarian's but I never got any of those. Of course, the MCP/LIQ mags work fine, but as covered by your last line, these 40-round mags are more expensive than factory 30's.

Don
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
EX11B,

Ok, you have done your research. Those are the options. All of them, that I am aware of.

Sorry for the unnecessary rant.

Bravo5two,

Your mods are feeding the round right into the chamber. Looks good. The placement remains consistent when feeding from both sides through the whole round count?

I own Valmets. I want more magazines.

Again, sorry for the rant.

DB
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I recall Weiger magazines having a single round dimple on the top, where Valmet magazines have three.

Even the Romanian 5.56 magazines are starting to become expensive.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Valmet M71 mags have the single dimple, M76 mags have 3.
Weiger mags have no dimples at all.
Tony Rumore of Tromix converted both Weiger and Circle 10 Bulgarian 5.56 mags to feed properly in the Valmet series of rifles.

Mick

Quoted:
I recall Weiger magazines having a single round dimple on the top, where Valmet magazines have three.

Even the Romanian 5.56 magazines are starting to become expensive.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Tromix-converted vs. stock Weiger:

Don
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
EX11B,

Bravo5two,

Your mods are feeding the round right into the chamber. Looks good. The placement remains consistent when feeding from both sides through the whole round count?

I own Valmets. I want more magazines.

Again, sorry for the rant.

DB
View Quote
Yes, magazine placement is how the rounds get 'presented' into the chamber, and I found the Bulgarian to have the most consistent presentation.  Hand cycled the entire magazine quite a few times with dummies proved the mod worked before I took it to the range.  I had live fire tested this magazine with low powered 223 (loaded in a Dillon 650, using only 23 grs of H335) and everything fed/functioned just fine.  FYI, these Valmets are .223 chambered NOT 556 so watch what you buy for ammo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Valmet M76 with modified Chinese mags that work flawlessly. For the last several years I've been using them instead of my original Valmet mags.
dajr, I really appreciate the pictures of the Weiger mag modifications.

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top