Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/2/2017 5:18:50 PM EDT
I'm going to add a Galil SAR to my collection (ex IDF issued gun converted to SA only)

I'm new to the platform, so what mags will work other that israeli ones?

I've read that zastava M21 mags will fit, is that true?
What about 223 AK mags?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I cant comment on the Zastava mags, but as far as I know, no .223 ak mags will work as is. I think I have seen some bulgarian .223 ak mags converted for use with .223 Valmets, so maybe it is possible. The mil surplus izzy mags are probably your best bet.  Supposedly US made Tapco mags have a good reputation.  There are also S. African galil mags, but those seem to be pretty rare, at least in the US.

Please post some pics when you have picked up your rifle!

Hope this helps a little.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to handle it tomorrow at the LGS and maybe I have the chance to play with different mags.

Anyway this is the link of the importer showing the SAR:

Imi SAR carbine
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My Romanian SAR3 works fine with both original metal Galil and the Tapco plastic mags, so both likely good to go for you. The mags are affordable here, don't know about Italy --  wish we could get the rifles in the link -- at around $1000USD, I get a loan and buy 5 [or 10!].

Don
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Bulgarian 223 mags will not work as is, they need to be modified.  I used an Israeli orlite mag as a guide.

I had to take a little material off the top of the feed lips

Also the back of the mag above the locking tab was to long, had to remove some material.  Also had to take some material off the locking tab.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh well how did you install the magpul handguard?

Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It is a magpul 870 handguard.  I had to open up the top of the handguard.

I also needed to make a new rear retainer from an 1/8" plate.  Here is a pic of the new rear retainer.

Here is how the new rear hg retainer attaches to the hg.  You can see the slot it slides into.  This shows the top opened up to clear the barrel.

With only the new rear hg retainer in place and the front hg retainer flange only pushing against the hg there was a lot of movement in the front.  I made a piece for the front of the hg that fit in the same slot as the rear retainer and engaged the front handguard retainer.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a picture of the hg with both pieces installed.  Hope this helps.  This was all done with a dremel and a file.  With a real machine shop the pieces would be much better looking.

Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow I'm impressed thats a really nice job!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Back to the mags question..
I got a couple of Zastava and Beryl mags.. According to The few dimensions I checked with the caliper they  seems to be identical.

I still dont have the Galil or a Galil mag to try/compare so...

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok since I finally got my SAR carbine I can tell you both zastava and Beryl mags wont with without mods

That said Ive spent an hour with the dremel and I was able to modify the Beryl ones to fit the Glilon

Didnt hit the range yet but the mag seems to works fine with dummy rounds.
The shape of the Beryl follower also include a BHO feature

Will post some pics later
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
metal Galil mags are fairly cheap right now from AIM. I also was able to find some plastic ones for cheaper than C10 223 mags. I'd buy galil mags before chopping anything up. Those yugo mags are built like tanks though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
metal Galil mags are fairly cheap right now from AIM. I also was able to find some plastic ones for cheaper than C10 223 mags. I'd buy galil mags before chopping anything up. Those yugo mags are built like tanks though.
View Quote

Over here in the good old Europe is the opposite.
Galil mags are often out of stock and priced at 45-50 euro, while those Beryl mag were fairly cheap at 20 euro
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Pics of the mod as promised

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Chinese 84s mags 5.56mm might work going from memory.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top