Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2016 8:11:57 PM EDT
Any one know when these are actually going to hit the street?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Got one last week. Its awesome I have tried magpie mags plus com bloc metal and Bulgarian plastic they all wok great
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got one last week. Its awesome I have tried magpie mags plus com bloc metal and Bulgarian plastic they all wok great
View Quote

7.62x51?

Ithink you misread the OP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
IWI US Galil ACE Rifle in .308 Now Shipping

2 days ago
Laura Burgess
Firearm News
.308, 7.62x51, AK-47, Galil, Israeli Weapons Industry, IWI
…And just in time for hunting season

.308 Galils ready for shipment
.308 Galil ACE Rifles ready for shipment
IWI US
IWI
Harrisburg, Pa. (Ammoland.com) – IWI US, Inc., a subsidiary of Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) Ltd., is pleased to announce that the new Galil ACE Rifle  in 7.62 NATO (7.62x51mm/.308 Win) is now shipping to distributors everywhere.

“The 7.62 NATO (7.62x51mm/.308 Win) is an extremely accurate cartridge with a lot of knock-down power and penetration. It’s a fantastic round for everything from big game hunting to long-distance shooting. It’s a cartridge that is worthy of the Galil ACE and we know gun enthusiasts everywhere are going to be excited to get their hands on this just in time for hunting season,” said Michael Kassnar, vice president of sales and marketing for IWI US.

Many improvements have been made since the original Galil was first developed. Weight has been reduced due to the use of high-impact polymers.

Reliability of the IWI US Galil ACE Rifle in .308 has been improved by sealing the internal mechanism with a reciprocating charging handle cover, adding additional protection from sand and dirt.

A full-length 2-piece Picatinny top rail has been added and a tri-rail has found its way under the plastic foregrip. Plus, slide on/slide off rail covers with pressure switch access have been incorporated. The Galil now has a folding adjustable stock with a 2-position removable cheek comb. The charging handle was moved to the left side of the receiver and the magazine release was made ambidextrous so that a shooter could change magazines without having to take the gun off target.

The Galil ACE geometry was modified so that it could accept standard SR25 style PMAG®s. It features a trigger borrowed from the Galil sniper rifle and an improved gas tube that decreases barrel vibration and increases accuracy. The barrel is chrome lined and cold hammer forged.

.308 Galil Ace
Galil ACE Rifle in .308 Specifications:

Caliber:7.62 NATO (7.62x51mm/.308 Win)
Operating System:Closed rotating bolt, long stroke gas piston
Magazine Type:MAGPUL LR/SR25 GEN M3 PMAG®
Magazine Capacity: 20 rounds
Barrel Material:Cold hammer forged, CrMoV, chrome lined
Barrel Length:16?
Overall Length:36? (Buttstock Unfolded and Collapsed)
Weight:8.7 lbs. w/o magazine
Rifling:Right Hand, 1:12 inch twist
Sights:Adjustable with Tritium front post and 2-dot Tritium rear aperture.
MSRP:$2,099.00
Restricted States:Sales of this rifle may be restricted in certain states and the District of Columbia. Please check with your local authorities regarding your local firearms laws.
About IWI US, Inc.

IWI US, Inc. is the USA based subsidiary of Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) Ltd. of Ramat Hasharon, Israel and a member of the SK Group, a leading defense and security group of companies that operate in the global Defense and Law Enforcement markets. The IWI US line of products includes several configurations of the TAVOR® X95™, TAVOR® SAR, Jericho® 941™ pistol, UZI® PRO pistol and Galil ACE® rifles and pistols.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I was really looking forward to this rifle in 308 but it looks like it's made for the poly mags only, not the original 25 round IMI steel mags.   That's a deal breaker for me.  At 2k, it needs to have the original steel mags. Commercial Poly mags would never be used in a true battle rifle.
I have an original Galil ARM in .223 and the Mags could be used as hammers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was really looking forward to this rifle in 308 but it looks like it's made for the poly mags only, not the original 25 round IMI steel mags.   That's a deal breaker for me.  At 2k, it needs to have the original steel mags. Commercial Poly mags would never be used in a true battle rifle.
View Quote

Those all steel mags add a lot of weight and plastic mags have reached parity with older mags in terms of durability and reliability in the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do realize there are other SR-25 magazines available than Magpul right? Plenty of metal magazines out there to satisfy your steel desires.

I carried AR15  PMags in Afghanistan, worked perfectly.  Didn't ever find the occasion to use one as a hammer though.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Uhhh.....wut.....

Was this specifically made to the ACE rifle?

i would strongly caution against the statement  "Commercial poly mags would never be used in a true battle rifle"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/12164739/Israeli-military-leaders-warn-troops-not-to-be-trigger-happy-as-Palestinian-attacks-continue.html

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
So to answer the OP's original question they are showing as in stock over at atlantic firearms.... I'm tempted to cancel my MDR pre order and pick up one of these
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So to answer the OP's original question they are showing as in stock over at atlantic firearms.... I'm tempted to cancel my MDR pre order and pick up one of these
View Quote

Lord have mercy, I had to see this and then go check Atlantic's website...

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Man I am in for one of these.

I have to get one!
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
That does look nice - may need to re-evaluate my santa list
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
That thing is pure sex!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder how it would stack up against an FN Scar ?  I have wanted a Scar for a long time ,but the cost of it and the cost of the mags was a problem . If the Ace in 7.62x51 is near as good as the Scar i'm a buyer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Theres one here at the LGS

Anyone know the barrels thread pattern?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Theres one here at the LGS

Anyone know the barrels thread pattern?
View Quote

5/8x24 same as .308 AR
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Picked up one yesterday.  So far major nit is that the top cover is very, very tight (tighter than my 7.62x39 ACE) and I've had to use a rubber mallet to get it back on.  Hope it loosens some after shooting.  Also, the bolt locks back on an empty mag because it hits the rear of the follower on the Pmag.  While this might be considered a good thing, the bolt doesn't stay locked and releases as soon as you drop the mag.  Also, there are already signs of the rear of the polymer follower being beat up by holding the bolt back.

On the subject of mags, there are probably a couple of good reasons they don't use the original Galil 25 round steel mags.  First, US mags are needed for 922r compliance.  Second, it's likely that most US shooters would rather use common, cheap, and easily available SR25 pattern mags instead of the propriety, expensive, and harder to find Galil 308 mags.

For ACE vs SCAR, SCAR all the way.  It's lighter, has flip down BUIS, has a proper BHO, has a real one piece top rail that is fixed, and you don't have the tight top cover to deal with.  The SCAR is more money and uses proprietary mags, but overall I'd grab my SCAR before my ACE.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone else have the bolt chewing up the followers?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Seriously considering picking one of these up in a couple of weeks.  Have a few questions though.  Are the swivel attachment points on the weapon for a sling?  Second can the bolt be locked to the rear as with an AR?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Uhhh.....wut.....

i would strongly caution against the statement  "Commercial poly mags would never be used in a true battle rifle"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/12164739/Israeli-military-leaders-warn-troops-not-to-be-trigger-happy-as-Palestinian-attacks-continue.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh.....wut.....

Those Israeli suppressors look pretty funny. Anyone knows who makes them?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Me likey!! I have always liked the Jew Hammer (or Sand flea smasher, depending on who you talk to).

But they still need a longer handguard to look right.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seriously considering picking one of these up in a couple of weeks.  Have a few questions though.  Are the swivel attachment points on the weapon for a sling?  Second can the bolt be locked to the rear as with an AR?
View Quote
No sling swivel attachments.

Like almost all other AKs, the bolts can't be locked back.  The design doesn't have an AR type BHO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
They sometimes lock back but once the magazine is removed it slams forward. IMHO they should have made it used the original .308 magazines and started producing them again. With the SR-25 magazines there's wear on the follower from the bolt hitting it in the rear.

Or give it an actual BHO.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top