Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/3/2006 6:46:21 AM EDT
If I have somehow missed the post, my apologies - looked but couldn't find one.

I am considering buying one, but don't want to waste a chunk of cash on junk.

Best Regards

Gavin
aka Dr.G.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
G-

Try here:

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9772&highlight=yugo+receiver

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9455

I tried to link to the arfcom threads.  But all the arfcom threads are archived and you can't view them unless you're a team member.

Mike#6
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I was able to get mine from CenterFires last shipment when someone who was on the list could not come up with the bucks.  I did!  And I am so very happy I did as this is one super nice AK to own.  The Yugo M70 has some outstanding features to it.  Let me see where to start: uses a 1.6mm receiver, stainless carrier/bolt, has a lock pin mechanism to keep recoil spring and top cover captured, flip up night sights front and rear, flip up grenade sight with gas cut-off, and a heavier barrel.

When received I noticed the receiver quality was very good.  The normal pencil engraved lettering was stamped very nicely and the finish has a smoothness to it that is hard to describe.  Have you ever raked the action of a well worn AK and felt that smoothness it has?  This action felt that way right out of the box!  Like it had been given some TLC from the factory.  The underfolder stock was very tight with very little wiggle up/down or side to side.  The finish is a gray parked type finish and all my parts matched color wise.  CenterFire says the next batch may have a different finish to them, what kind I have no idea.  My top cover does have some discoloration near the front of it inside and outside but I can live with that.  Others have posted similar finish blemishes but again thay all say it is very minor.  Magazine fit is positive and locks up just fine.  My front night sight had been parked over but some glow paint was painted on by myself and all is well there now.  

Accuracy right out of the box was awesome.  I have never seen any other AK be this accurate.  I will post my first final sighting in target that has basically (5) holes touching!  

I have notched my safety lever ala like the factory does so I have a manual bolt hold open to go with the BHO magazines.  Don't go purchase a lot of expensive Yugo mags that have the BHO followers, just make your own from whatever AK magazines you now on.  Go here to find out how to do that:

Make you rown BHO magazines

The barrel is new but not chrome lined like most modern day AK's.  That's OK, I clean my AK's after I shoot them and your GrandPa's 30-30 don't have a chrome lined barrel and it still works too.  

Well worth the bucks I paid for this rifle.  The AK is heavier weight wise than most, but that is due to the heavier receiver and barrel.  The underfolder stock helps keep the weight down some over the fixed stock version.  

Putting a metal folding stock up to the cheek during winter times and or hot summer times is not a pleasant experience.  I took some parachute cord and wrapped a few feet of it around the left side underfolder stock and now I have a much more pleasant cheek weld no matter what the season is.  The cord is started and ended just tucked under itself and is on there pretty good.  I used ever bit of 7 feet of cord minus 8" and the cord seems to be 3/16" in didameter.  I got this idea from a guy who had wrapped his single tube side folder with cord.  Works for me!  

I would suggest that if you want one of these to get on a list ASAP as there has been rumor that this is only going to be a (2000) gun run.  My serial number is M70AB20179X so does that mean there are only 200 or so left to be made?  Remember how the PSL's went, a couple of years ago they were everywhere but now all that is left are gunbroker ads and a few kits; very hard to find them anymore.  Already there has been a price increase due to supply and demand of the M70's.  Century has said there will be a run of fixed stock versions but no one has been able to give me a date yet.  I do hope it happens but I speculate they will have to have new wood as well as new barrels and they may be priced $100 higher.  Seems almost every wood stock Yugo buttstock in the kits has some sort of carvings on them.  Here are some pixs of mine, including the 25 yard target pix.  All I can say is that these are some awesome rifles and I and all I hear from are very happy campers!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two of these now. The first is SN 008XX and the second is SN 038XX. That sort of destroys the idea that there will only be a run of 2000.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:09:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Did the full stock Yugo B1 not ever have the flip up grenade launcher site? Or just the Mitchell Imports for us?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes they do have the grenade sights, don't know why the Mitchell ones did not.  Here is a link to a kit that shows they have the sights/gas cut-off too.

M70B1 kit
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
stargazer111,  Did you laquer or polly urothane your wood hand guards on your M70AB2? , just woundering as they look very shiny...mine has very nice wood grain , but nothing on it to protect it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#8]
It is sealed with Satin Spar Urethane spray sealer.  It does not appear real shiny unlesss the light is hitting it just right.  I may do another refinish as I rushed those and did not get ALL of the cosmo out of the upper handguard.  It's creeping in from the ends of the upper.  They need steaming to get all of it out of there.  And the lower handguard wood is somewhat pourous in nature so it needs another good stain and seal too.  The only bitch with the spray Urethane is you have 1 1/2 hours to do whatever you like then after that you MUST NOT spray them again for 3 days or the new spray will wrinkle the old finish.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#9]
stargazer111 great idea on the paracord, is it 3/16" or the 1/8" paracord ?   I think my handguards still have cosmo in them also, how does this steaming work ? don,t know how to post pics or i would  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The paracord I used ; it's hard to tell whether it's 3/16" or 1/8".  Pushed up it's every bit of 3/16" or more but pulled taught it's more like 1/8".  Either would work just fine though.  Just make sure you have at least 7-8 feet to start with.  Sure feels better on the cheek that a cold or hot piece of metal!  

Basically I would hold the steamer to the place where the cosmo was at and leave it on there for about 10-20 seconds and then remove it and wipe with a paper towel.  I would do this over and over for a while then I would wash them off in the sink with mean green cleaner and let them dry again for a while then do it over and over again until all the cosmo was out of the ends.  Others have said blow dryers or a heat gun will do the same thing.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top