Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 4:15:37 PM EDT
Century Arms, Ammunition store, or Centerfire systems? Please sound off. Anyone else have these kits? Fixed and underfolders. Quality and price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to steer you in a little bit of a different direction.  Ohio Rapid Fire has Yugo 223Rem (aka 5.56x45) for $450.  That's not cheap, but they are from absolutely brand spanking new rifles.  Think about the rarity of these versus the 7.62x39 kits.  For those that like 223Rem AK's, think about the rarity of these versus all the Galil or Valmets that are out there.  I think that in a couple of years, a rifle properly made from one of these kits will be worth more than most Galil's and Valmets.  This obviously assumes that the supply of such kits is really comming to an end.  Who knows for sure, but for $450 I think it's a pretty decent value.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Got a link? Will the dci receiver work on this kit? If not who makes a receiver? What about mags? What about accuracy? This kit sounds very  interesting
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Got a link? Will the dci receiver work on this kit? If not who makes a receiver? What about mags? What about accuracy? This kit sounds very  interesting

The website is www.ohiorapidfire.com.  Here’s the link to the kit:
http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=7272087.24238*Mx6f42&p_id=02086&xm=on&ppinc=big

Harlan at DCI says that he may make a special run of the receivers.  They are suppose to be the same as 7.62x39 except for the ejector rail.  Ohio Rapid Fire sells Vulcan receivers which they say will work.  They even built a rifle using one.  I’m waiting on finding out for sure if DCI is going to make them or not.  If not, I’ll purchase a Vulcan (which actually looks decent, but their reputation is not so good).

Magazines are an issue.  The kit only comes with one and others don’t seem to be available.  There are a couple of people working on builds.  It looks like German Weigers may work.  We’ll know for sure when they’re done.

As far as accuracy goes, I have not heard any reports.

For more information on these kits you might want to look at the Yugo AK board over at gunco.net.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Well if Harlan makes a receiver for this rifle, and good mags become availible the I could see building one of these kits.  Only then would I spend the money on that kit. Looks nice though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
As of a couple of days ago only 65-70 kits were left available at Ohio Rapid Fire.  They originally tried to sell them for $600ea.  They must have been having trouble selling them at that price.  I'd bet that part of the reason was the uncertainty of the receiver situation and magazine availability.  Who knows if ORF has set aside some to build themselves or not.  Perhaps another supplier has some and is holding them back.  Or, 65-70 may be the total that will ever be available here in the US.  For me it's worth it.  I think that if you think you may want one you should probably go ahead and get it.  Odd are that you will be able to sell it for $450 or more once ORF runs out.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top