Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2006 2:38:27 AM EDT
Yesterday I was at one of my favorite gunstores. As usual I found something I liked ad put money on it. Its a Yugo underfolder. It looked pretty well made, so if anyone has one tell me what you think.

Also the Yugo AK seemed pretty bulked up for an AK, so why were they totally improved yet they lack a chrome lined bore and chamber? Will I still be able to shoot Wolf or Barnul ammo thru it?

Any pics would be great! Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:28:13 PM EDT
These things are built like tanks. I haven't shot it yet but I'll clean the bore every time I get back from the range. Don't spend more then about $450 on it. You can get them online for $400.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:50:18 PM EDT
You will not be sorry that you bought it. New heavyduty receiver, new barrel, and if i'm not mistaken someone posted 2&3" at 100 yards. I just picked one up, but have yet to shoot it. It seems to be very well made . I would just like to know who is making new barrels for AKs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:01:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:57:23 AM EDT
One other question, I normally run 7.62x39 FMJ Wolf thru all of my AK`s. Will Wolf HP`s run ok in my Yugo? I ask this because my Polytech hate HP`s. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:05:51 AM EDT
Mine eats it all day long!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 7:27:37 AM EDT by 223spree]
Cool I just picked my Yugo up yesterday!

I noticed that it does have the not so hot Century Arms FCG. I had a lot of problems with them in my SAR1&2. Will a Tapco G2 FCG work in her?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:25:24 AM EDT
Got one. Love it. +1 on the "built like a tank" thing.

The problem is that it has rekindled my interest on friggin' AK's yet again. First it was AKRD (I had thought I was cured), then bad BRD which I still have a terminal case of, and now I find out that I have AKRD again. The need is mostly to build one now, rather than just purchase.

But, thanks to the enforcement of the good ol' "non sporting purpose" clause of GCA '68, getting parts for reasonable money may not be so easy in the future. We'll see.

Thanks again, BATFE and the US Congress of '68 for screwing me of my birthright once again...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:26:18 AM EDT
Almost forgot to ask a few questions.....

1. The front and rear sites, I`ve noticed that it seems to also have flip up sights. Are?Were these night sites?
2. I what I believe is a Romanian bayonet. I can almost lock it on but not totally. Is there a trick to lock it in place?
3. Besides the Trigger, Hammer and Disconetor, what parts are US made?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:13:15 AM EDT
If it's a Century the barrel and receiver are US made.

Regards,
Gary

ps....mines on order!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:54:16 PM EDT
The 45* slant brake is U.S. also= 6 parts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:49:44 AM EDT
Flip ups are for launching a grenade. US compliant parts are as stated.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:10:48 AM EDT
Does anyone know how long the button rifling will last. Not trying to be a pessimist, but curious on the round count typical of button rifling.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:38:16 PM EDT
I've owned a few ak's in my life including polytechs yugoM90's sold by Mitchell arms, bulgarian postban (milled), post ban maadi's(with the crappy clinton thumbhole stock) and norinco MAKs in both stamped and milled. The poly's and the yugos and maadi's went to the X who sold them or gave them to her brother before the court receiver could gain access to them to sell them and split the proceeds.

In essence, after the divorce,I had to build my AK arsenal up from nothing and am in the process of doing so.

I saw a few of these yugos for sale on the Classic Firearms site this week and ordered one on Monday. It arrived today. I do not profess to be any type of expert on AK's but the fit finish and ruggedness of these pieces is really impressive. The receiver has a Marking that says "Zastava Kragujevak Yugoslavia" with what looks to be a CZ logo. On the side rail is the Century Int'l import marking Indicating that it was built by DC Industries. I know this is a quality AK but can someone tell me a few things about it---like is it assembled from parts and if so what partwas manufactured where and who assembled these?

The receiver looks to be damn heavy and compared to the cheap romy I purchased it is a stout piece .

What have I got here? Are there any articles or reviews I can look at and if so where are they?

I'm the type that likes to read up on what he shoots. Any input is appreciated
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:43:53 PM EDT
All I can say is, you just bought yourself one nice peice of AK47
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:34:09 PM EDT
Darn good price for this piece. I plan on shooting the p*** out of it manana. I had purchased a Vepr in 5.45 because of the heavy receiver and the workmanship and had planned to buy the 7.62 Vepr to match it---with this piece I don't think I'll have to. Now for a Nice poly legend National Match--at the right price--of course.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:15:20 AM EDT
There is a link on THR which has a long explanation on button rifled vs. hammer forged. It SEEMS that there is no systematic quality difference. Manufacturers can vary in quality. GUNS CAN vary from barrel to barrel from the same maker. If there IS a difference, you MIGHT tell firing full auto. Otherwise, I think the arguments are bunk. I'll take a new barrel over a dark one ANY day...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:29:15 AM EDT
Took the yugo out today and punched about 500rds thru her--norinco, S&B And the old russian hp. It gobbled the stuff up--recoil wasn't bad at all especially compared to the romy . The only problem I had was the front post drift is loose --the flip up front sight however solved all problems. I didn't realize that the two mags that came with the piece were hold open types. This is a heck of a piece. Now all I have to do is find some ammo for the thing since all of the sources I usually go to are out of stock. Used to be you could find 7.62X39 whenever and wherever you wanted- now the stuff seems to have dried up. Am I missing something here-like is there an ammo shortage?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:50:12 AM EDT
MagnumM,

How was the trigger slap? Will I need to replace the trigger with a Red Star Arms HTS to make it so that I don't loose the feeling in my right index finger?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:35:16 PM EDT
Not as bad as some I've seen or pulled--the post ban Maadi being the worst and the MAK 90 running a close second. I think it is rather good --for an AK.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:54:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:37:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
As far as the triggers go, I don't think that a G2 set will help much. Century has been using G2 groups in thier WASR rifles for a while now, and I would imagine in these as well. If the barrels are as reliable as some folks are reporting, a RSA trigger would make this a very accurate rifle.

I think the G2 triggers were a stop gap measure until they go another shipment of their FCG's in. My current Century Yugo with a 11/5/05 build date had their Century FCG installed. Quality of that FCG seems better than past ones.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:46:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 4:46:35 PM EDT by LastDefender]
Thanks guys...I will hold off ording a RedStar Arms until I test out the Yugo....

Now Centerfire Systems.... when will you be shipping my new toy? Inquiring minds wanna know!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:29:32 PM EDT
Where can I get one for $400??? I was at the local gun shop and they have several for $530. I fingerbanged it for a bit and it looked and felt awesome!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:09:49 PM EDT
$400 would be nice. The dealers arouind here are "discounting" them to $599.00 I guess they just assume people will impulse buy or have no friggin' clue about what current prices are. The same dealer is still trying to get $4500 for "pre-ban" HK 91.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:48:44 PM EDT
Centerfire Systems was selling them for $399.97 I think that still might be the price. You should check their site.

Regards,
Gary

Top Top