Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/12/2013 11:59:15 AM EDT
There seem to be an abundant supply of Yugo AKs at different distributors lately and I'd like to get one. So if you were buy a new Yugo AK, would you choose an N-PAP or an O-PAP and why?  Having read through some of the threads regarding both, I seem to recall there being reliability issues early on.  I'd like to think that distributors have ones in the pipeline at this point with all the bugs worked out of them.  Do you think they would be good to go or am I worrying about nothing?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Consensus seems to be the Opap as it has original Yugo barrel.  Unsure if the Npap does.  Opap has heavier RPK receiver, Npap doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
O pap. Reasons stated above. Also the O pap has a double stack bolt, I don't know if all the N Paps do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both and the NPAP does have a Yugo barrel and a double stack bolt. I plan on getting the original wood furniture for it soon as I cant stand the black polymer stock.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Having original (non US barrel) is the most important thing to me, if they both have it then there may not be much difference, get the cheapest.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
O-PAP's have the RPK trunnion and the receiver is thicker metal than the N-PAP, this does make O-PAP a bit heavier but I'm OK with that and I now own an OPAP.
I also like that I can put the Yugo night sights on the front sight.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
O PAP because of bulged receiver/trunnion and side rail
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having original (non US barrel) is the most important thing to me, if they both have it then there may not be much difference, get the cheapest.
View Quote

What about non original wood furniture
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
O-PAP
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My npap has a double stack bolt, and I like the thinner receiver. I don't think it matters unless you have a true FA M70. Plus I prefer the wood on the NPAP
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies.  You guys sure are making this decision hard!  I had a feeling the O-PAP would get a lot of thumbs up.

In the meantime since I started this thread, I've done a little homework and from what I've read elsewhere (if what was written is true),  new N-PAPs comes with a side mounted rail.  That hopefully means also have the double stack bolt but that's just speculation on my part.

Personally, I like the looks of the thinner profile on the N-PAP's receiver so I will go that route if it does indeed come with the double stack bolt.  

There are a lot of O-PAPs but I haven't seen any N-PAPs for sale.  Any leads that way?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Npap a are higher in price, and the trick to finding one with a DS bolt is the serial number must be higher than 7000, that is when they started to come with DS bolts.  It's no big deal if it doesn't have a DS bolt, as CAI will fix it for you.

Ps- avoid the synthetic npaps, the plastic is not that strong and will melt
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#12]
From what I have read the O means original parts and the N means new parts. Don't know if anyone can confirm this or not. I have a O-Pap and love it. I like the thicker trunion.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know that much about the N-PAP, but here is some info on the O-PAP:

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a N-PAP and the receiver wall thickness mics .059 and this is one heavy rifle ! The s/n number is in the 9000 series and the dust cover has the stupid heavy steel rail on it. The workmanship is first class thru out . My understanding is that the N stands for New and the O for Original ?
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a N-PAP and the receiver wall thickness mics .059 and this is one heavy rifle ! The s/n number is in the 9000 series and the dust cover has the stupid heavy steel rail on it. The workmanship is first class thru out . My understanding is that the N stands for New and the O for Original ?
View Quote

I have heard this but haven't seen confirmation from the manufacturer or importer. The 1st series of these rifles were just "PAP". Anyways, I agree the steel side rail is dumb...when I first got it, it was a PITA to get all the shit and cosmoline out of it because of all the slim spots.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes the N stands for new and the O means original but this is misleading because both rifles are new. The O-PAP comes with surplus wood but the rest of the rifle is all new. The N-PAP comes with new wood.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#17]
BTW .... "PAP" means:

"Polu Automatska Puska" (Semi Automatic Rifle)
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Npap a are higher in price, and the trick to finding one with a DS bolt is the serial number must be higher than 7000, that is when they started to come with DS bolts.  It's no big deal if it doesn't have a DS bolt, as CAI will fix it for you.

View Quote

Not sure this is entirely accurate.
My N-PAP has a serial in the 6000s, side rail (not on dust cover), thick receiver, double stack bolt, no feeding issues and the conversion was done properly. Have >200 rounds without any issues. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My N-PAP has a serial in the 6000s, side rail (not on dust cover), thick receiver, double stack bolt, no feeding issues and the conversion was done properly. Have >200 rounds without any issues. Just my $.02
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, my original statement was probably off, but I can say with confidence lower range serial number npaps do not come with aforementioned features.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top