Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2012 1:22:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconRover]
Howdy all!   Well we are switching out from our M70B's to M21's.  I disassembled a couple for pics, and have some comparison photos to the M70B's, and one of our AK's.    A lot of the upgrade parts for the M70 will transfer...some don't.  Happy to answer any questions:

M21 vs. kitted out M70 B

M21 vs. M21 disassembled

Kitted out M70B  vs. Kitted out standard AK

M21 top cover sight....exact same dimensions as the Yugo M92 Krinkov....very ineffective sight, and all top covers were askew to the right

M21 front gas block sight post vs M70 B sight.  All M21's received had to have the front sights pushed far over to the left due to rear sight top cover being out of alignment.  

M21 bolt carrier group vs M70 BCG (note spring takedown tab on end is much different than standard M70/AK, this is to aid in holding the top cover tight at the rear)

M21 side rail vs. M70 side.  This pic is actually more for the pic of the selector lever on the left side...holes drilled in M70 was for an aftermarket side mount plate

M21 magazine vs standard AK magazine.  It's well constructed, but weighs a TON.  Have ordered some pro mags to replace

M21 gas tube vs M70 B gas tube.   Much longer, better fit.   As most already know, the M70 gas tube is much longer than a standard AK47 tube.  Thus the issues with fitment of AK railed handguards....BUT  Midwest Industries AK railed hanguards fit great.  

M21 bolt carrier vs M70 B bolt carrier.  Note the lightening holes drilled

M21 gas piston vs M70 B gas piston.  The gas ring lands are in different locations, on the 5.56 model, there is a small gas port drilled, and the 5.56 model has a hollow piston end instead of solid for the 7.62x39 version

M21 innards.  Note the slot on the left side of the receiver for the selector lever

M21 chamber area.  Facing is different on the right side vs. the 7.62 M70 B.  Most likely this aides in extraction.  Also note view of hinged top cover

M21 Mods.  First up.  Ace butt stock adapter from the M70B.  A little bit tighter fit.  If I had to do it again, I would have clearanced a bit off the side as I got slight bowing on the back of the receiver trunion area.  Solid piece, cheap.  I mated this to a Magpul stock with .75" riser for good alignment.

M21 Mods:  StromWerkz M92 Yugo Krink rail that fits into the top rail cover site.  4 holes have to be drilled.  It's a perfect fit, and after going thru a few drill bits, was very happy with the end results

M21 Mods:  MI handguard.  easy fit, simple to install.  I really like this one:

M21 completed with mods:

We have not taken these to the range yet, but once we do, I'll give a good report on how things are working out.   Also, we've used different parts on a couple of others to see how they would fit/retrofit with standard AK off the shelf parts.  More on this later.

Hope you like.   Interesting that there is very little about these rifles on the net out there.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Great pics, I really like the M21s.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I enjoyed that tremendously––- thanks for taking the time to post the great pics!!!

Tony
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Other than the Eotech, what other optics are in use?

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Primary arms red dots.  They co-witness well with the front sights on the AK's  We had a couple of the tru-glo red dots, both failed.    Previously I had an ACOG, and an IOR Valdada CQB 3x.    The deal these days is you can't post your optics back home...so, pretty much what you've got on hand you stick with.

Love that IOR CQB...but it sits up really high, and is too heavy.   I think the ACOG is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a bunch - this is great.  My question is the third rivet in the rear trunnion; what is the trunnion difference back there from the m70?
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you a contractor?

Marshall at PA would probably be pleasantly surprised to hear you're using his micro dots in 'stan.

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, contractor.  His stuff works very well.   I put a modified M70B front rail on one of the other M21's, and a bottom half rail on the other.   Awaiting the Stormwerkz sight mounts, and Ace adapters to fix up the others.

PG
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Why the change to a 5.56 ak?
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Each company has it's own thing going on.   Ex Pat's get' the 5.56, all others get the 7.62.   Of course the 7.62 is the way to go...but ya know....it is nice to have some more magazine room on the vest for a change.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The M21 appears to be a great improvment. This has really made me wish for someone to import it or alternatively for parts kits.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you take a couple pictures of the folding stock mechanism and the end of the receiver that the stock fits into?
The Trip C Ugandans have those here but I would feel weird asking them to take the stock off for me.
I want one of those M21 side folding stocks.

How did the stock come off? 2 screw like a Romanian wire folder?
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Stock comes off just like the M70B's.  Bolt thru the rear of the receiver/trunion.   It's actually a pretty nice mechanism.   I've got one of the stocks off now, and will try and get a pic tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 3:24:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconRover] [#13]
Pics as requested  for more info on how the stock bolts in, what the three rivets are for, and some more detailed pics of the M21 rear trunion:

From the questions before.   You would not be able to take the folding stock and put it on a standard AK.  You would have to have some sort of receiver block like the one offered from ACE (grind off the tang, and put in a square block that they offer.   If it's a Zastava M70 series, the folding stock should bolt right on with no problems.  I don't know if anyone sells the M70/M21 series rear trunion....though for the work involved, drilling/riveting, I don't think it's worth the effort.    The ACE M70 stock adapter for $40 works very well.  Mate this to the pig nose adapter, standard buffer tube, and you are off and running.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 2:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#14]
Appreciate the pics! That is an interesting rear trunion with the bolt going through it. Haven't seen that before.  
That stock definately won't work with a std ak trunion.

I had an Ace stock years ago but didn't cut the tang. Got one right after the AWB ended with the ugly block..
Ordered it direct from Ace and was told to get the Super Short stock by the guy on the phone - bad idea. Too short even with the extended block.

By the way back in 09 or 10 the SOC Ugandans at Camp Liberty had brand new Yugo krinks. Reminded me I need to finish my home build M92 kit one of these years.
edited
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 12:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SaigaMan2] [#15]
Very Galilish / Velmetish. Thank you for the pics I was thinking of a M92 project but have a few Galil / Velmet sites may make a run at a clone.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 1:16:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#16]
I am the only one here expecting to see this when I clicked on the link?  

yea yea, it is the AK forum and did say Zastava in the title.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
That's what I thought too!   I was all excited...the rifle I went to sniper school with back in the day!

Above question  M4's....in A-stan, believe it or not, M4's are pretty rare with PSD/security..  If it's a direct contract from a US company...usually, but the issues with ammo availability, and end user agreements...it's easier to get in the AK variants.    I only had one gig that had M4's, the rest....pick the best AK, and kit it out.   Don't get me started on the fake Pakistani Glocks, and Berettas's....
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:32:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#18]
I gotcha, was chattin with one of our guys the other day, learned the "customer" issues them their gear.

Link Posted: 9/26/2012 2:21:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow! Thanks for the info. I particularly like those rear trunion pictures. With the flood of M92 and M85 pistols coming in, lots of discussions on what to put on that rear for a stock. That M21 looks like it would address the serial number issue on the PAPs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Great pictures and thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ReconRover:
Don't get me started on the fake Pakistani Glocks, and Berettas's....

By the way you got any Romanian AK's on the FOB? I swear I was looking at Wasr10's up in Baghdad (stamped 7.62x39 AK's no dimples).
Can you snag a picture of what else is available?

I'd love to see a Paki Glock.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Very cool..thanks for sharing!  Zastava....please send us some of these....and plenty of mags too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Very cool  yugo's I've got a M70 as well, w/ all the wood furniture, just a basic, but I like it. Yours are really cool  I'll probably get another one and  make it tacticool! Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:46:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mauritius] [#25]
I kinda winced a bit when I read you ordered Promags, I would not bet my life on a Promag, especially where you are.

Of course this is just me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Hello, do you know what thread is on the M21 barrel? M14x1 LH? I'm considering to replace flash hider by a better one. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I know this is an old thread, but it seems appropriate for me to reply here.  I had a M21SB kit built by Two Rivers Arms.  They made the receivers and had the barrels custom profiled.  The flash hider is permanently attached to get just over 16".  The finishes on virtually all of the kit parts are original.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bret:
I know this is an old thread, but it seems appropriate for me to reply here.  I had a M21SB kit built by Two Rivers Arms.  They made the receivers and had the barrels custom profiled.  The flash hider is permanently attached to get just over 16".  The finishes on virtually all of the kit parts are original.
https://i.postimg.cc/k4dP7xhM/Zastava-M21-SB-left-view.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/50qdy6ZB/Zastava-M21-SB-right-view.jpg
View Quote

Damn I hope Zastava USA can get these in
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#29]
That is a good looking rifle! Where did you find the parts kit?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Bowman Arms in Florida imported the kits.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 11:50:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ5326X2] [#31]
https://youtu.be/iEpr-LkJyys

Looks like there is a possibility of these coming in.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]
He mentioned that they want to keep the internals original.  I have to wonder why considering that they'll need to be semiauto anyway.  I'd much rather have the original furniture than trigger group.  It's not like we'd be missing out on a Geissele trigger.  The Tapco G2 in mine works just fine.  I'm sure there are others that could work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ5326X2] [#33]
Bump, because I'm starting to hear wildly unsubstantiated rumors that these could be imported shortly.  

ETA: If/when this happens, I'll have an M90 priced to fookin move!
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:
Bump, because I'm starting to hear wildly unsubstantiated rumors that these could be imported shortly.  

View Quote

I built M90 parts kits and they came in, so this will probably be no different. :)
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:

View Quote

Where are you hearing this?

It has to be true because it’s exactly what I want to hear
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top