Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/9/2006 7:58:36 PM EDT
Im into handguns alot more than I am into rifles so I have only owned a few then sold them when I turned 21, but I wanted to get at least 1 rifle and shotgun. I only have $300 bucks to spend and I kinda want to get a SHTF rifle before hurricane season comes around again since I live on the coast.

Ive fired Ar  styles and like them but I dont like its price, Im left eye dominant so I fire rifles left handed and handguns right so the ak-47 style has been a little easier to use. Anyway I can have an AK-47 built for around $200 bucks with a romanian reciever and parts kit after paying taxes and transfer fee I dont have alot left for magazines and ammo to break it in also the smith that will be doing it doesnt have that much experience building them so that puts another issue of its reliability. I came across a few sks's for around $150 so they looked to be what im looking for then I came across some issues throughtout these other threads.

First I know you haft to modify to many things for my liking to have detachable magazines and I would rather use stripper clips anyway due to price and knowing they will work every time, Ive seen others add 20rd fixed mags to their sks , will this mess with its reliability and do stripper clips only come in 10rd bunches or is a 20rd even possible?

Ive also seen a term slam fire being used when you chamber a round it will empty the mag is this a common occurence and with out alot of money will this be fixable to where it never happens again.

Another item of information I have read is that there is some kind of gas regulator that controls wether it can be fired semi auto or single, is there such a thing and how do you learn to use the controls is it in the manual?

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Stripper clips only hold 10 rds.  The fixed 20rd mags worked fine in my chinese sks.
As far as slam fires I have only expierenced it a few times and only 2 or 3 rds went off.  
The gas shut off is only on Yugo sks's it is very simple to operate
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about the reliability of the 20 round fixed mags, but do know there are no 20 round stripper clips. Easy fix: use two stripper clips.

Slam-fires are not something I've ever experience with any of the 11 SKS rifles I've owned. It is a rare occurance and as far as I know only happens if the cosmoline has never been cleaned out of the bolt assembly. Do a basic clean when you get it and you shouldn't have to worry about this.

Gas adjustment issues are only with the Yugo SKS's. Find a Chinese in your price range and you won't have to worry about it.

If you're anywhere near DFW, let me know where you found some SKS's for $150 - if they're not Yugo I might try to pick one up after you get yours...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If you buy an SKS, leave it stock.
If you do anything to it (duckbill mags, plastic stocks, reciever mounted scopes, bipod, etc) I will hunt you down, and beat some sense into you.
Ask around - its happened before.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:21:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you buy an SKS, leave it stock.
If you do anything to it (duckbill mags, plastic stocks, reciever mounted scopes, bipod, etc) I will hunt you down, and beat some sense into you.
Ask around - its happened before.

i'm looking for a dragonov style stock for mine? anyone know if there is a wood one? or which of the synthetic's i should go with?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm of the agreement that a stock SKS is a great carbine. Very close to perfect in form and function.
You may think that 10 rounds isn't much capacity. But this is a rifle made for aimed fire, not spray and pray that you'll hit  the target. And reloading from strippers is at least as fast as swapping a magazine. (For me anyways.)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy one, trust me.  Be sure of cleaning ALL the cosmo out of this rifle before using and you shouldn't run into any problems.

Check out this link!
www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thx for link, The $150 price tag was on a yugo they got in about 5 of them so there going to hold one back for me. It looks like ill need to learn the gas system is there a specific book I should look for or should the manual discuss it? This cosmoline substance how would I go about cleaning it out of the the firing pin channel, Ive seen the guides to disasemble them but what should I look for and how would I tell where it is, is it just like a thick grease or preservant?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The surplus rifle site gives good instructions on how to disassemble the bolt for cleaning, and a good description of cosmoline removal.  Don't be afraid to whack the pin to get it out; just make sure you've got it anchored in a vise or similar.  Once you've got the bolt apart, it's easy to clean the FP channel.  Cleaning the rifle in general is a breeze.  You can field strip and clean most any SKS using no more than the cleaning rod for stiff levers.

jmm
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thx for link, The $150 price tag was on a yugo they got in about 5 of them so there going to hold one back for me. It looks like ill need to learn the gas system is there a specific book I should look for or should the manual discuss it? This cosmoline substance how would I go about cleaning it out of the the firing pin channel, Ive seen the guides to disasemble them but what should I look for and how would I tell where it is, is it just like a thick grease or preservant?

The bolt is pretty difficult to get open. Apparently you really have to whack the pin out. I didn't get mine open and decided not to resort to extreme whacking and damage my bolt.

I found the following very successful:

1) Spray thoroughly with break-cleaner or gun-scrubber and clean off as much cosmo as you can with a paper-towel and/or brush.
2) Let the entire bolt soak in Hoppes Solvent for an hour, then dry it off with a paper-towel.

That'll do it for most bolts. If you still have cosmo oozing out of the bolt, you can do the additional steps:

3) Put the bolt in the oven at 150-200 degrees Fahrenheit (cosmo has a low melting temperature and should drip off, be careful of any oven wires)
4) Let it soak in Hoppes Solvent for another hour, then dry it off with a paper-towel.

The goal is to have your firing pin move freely. If you hold it up or down, the pin should fall up or down by gravity alone. It should also be able to shake around freely. Keep your firing pin bone-dry. Don't oil it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I see no reason to ever disassemble the bolt unless you damage the firing pin!
Just soak it in cleaner and flush it well with the same. That'll soften and flush cosmolene and grime just fine.
It's pinned together for a reason. It doesn't need taken down during regular field stripping and cleaning!
This is why cans of CLP Breakfree have straws on them!
This'll clean it fine and give it the free floating fit it needs.
I see no reason to make a job more difficult when you don't have to.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top