Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:29:30 AM EDT
Does anyone make US parts for triggers?  US mag=3, US stock set=3, op rod and gas piston=2 that is eight parts. I need two more to get ten part so I can use a T6 pistol grip stock. I have a sporter.
Thanks Bruce
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an expert and I'm not sure about the number of parts which are counted in a SKS (I like my Type 56 just the way the Chinese made it), but an AK needs 5 U.S. parts (6 if it has a muzzle attachment) 'cause to be a U.S. made rifle it can't have more than 10 countable imported parts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just leave your poor SKS alone.
It didn't do anything to hurt you.
Seriously - leave your SKS in stock condition - it will work best that way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
TAPCO has a page detailing this on their site. It indicates that you need to replace only 7 parts for it to become "US made", or 8 parts if you had a muzzle attachment on it.

I think it's ridiculous that there is (apparently) no way to add a T6 stock and still keep the original 10 round mag - which is what I want to do. If you keep the original 10 round mag instead of adding a detachable mag, I don't think you can replace enough parts to take it out of the 'imported' status.

As for comments that you should keep it stock and leave it alone, those comments really aren't relevant or helpful.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
US made muzzle brake adapter and a US made slant brake should count as 2 ???? US sling, Mags with US made parts, I think those might work...Ive been looking at those stocks for an SKS M Paratrooper that takes the AK mags
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]

US made muzzle brake adapter and a US made slant brake should count as 2 ???? US sling, Mags with US made parts, I think those might work...

It's not the number of US parts that counts, it's the number of imported parts.

Muzzle attachment = 1 item
Sling = doesn't count
Mags = 3 parts (body, follower & base)

You'd have to replace the mag, operating rod, gas piston, stock, pistol grip, forearm/handguard, and muzzle attchment in order to legally add the T6.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#6]
What about one of those Tech Sights?  How many parts make up that ?  You might only need to get that and you are good to go .  Plus it will allow you to shoot a lot more accurately.

rj
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Sights = 0

The parts must not only be US made, they must be required parts.
Here is a list from www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

If more than ten of the listed parts are imported, the entire rifle is considered imported. If ten or less of the listed parts are imported, the entire rifle is considered “US-Made”. Recall that the onerous requirements of Title 18 USC § 922(r) only apply to imported rifles.

Just how many of these parts are in an SKS Carbine?

Here are the relevant parts in an SKS Carbine:

1.      Receiver

2.      Barrel

3.      Bolt

4.      Bolt carrier

5.      Operating rod [aka: driving rod; aka: gas piston extension]

6.      Gas piston

7.      Trigger housing

8.      Trigger

9.      Hammer

10.  Sear

11.  Disconnector, bolt follower

12.  Disconnector, rebound [aka: trigger mount arm]

13.  Stock

14.  Handguard

15.  Magazine body

16.  Follower

17.  Floorplate

Out of those, the following can be found as US made (that I know of): 5, 6, 13, 14, 15, 16, & 17
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top