Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/15/2006 2:45:04 PM EDT
I have a Chinese SKS (16" w/bayo) in it's original configuration. I'd prefer to change out the wood stock for the variable size synthetic stock I have sitting in my room. As I understand it, I can't add the synth stock because it has a pistol grip.

If I wanted to make this a "US" weapon instead of an "import", I'd have to have 10 or less parts that were import. I want to keep the original 10 round fixed mag instead of going to a US made detachable, but if I do this I can't seem to get enough US parts to change it from "import" to "US made".

How can I legally add a synthetic stock (folding w/pistol grip) to a Chinese SKS if I want to keep the original fixed mag?

Thanks.

ps - I'm looking for legitimate answers to the question asked (and appreciate them) but not looking for people who only want to criticize my choice in stock selection - too much of that on this board as is.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Since I can't sleep, I will try to help you.  Give this site a go:  10 or less

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Gunz4me - that's the list I started off with.

I am asking is there any legal way to get the parts list to 10 or less on a Chinese SKS if you keep the factory 10 round mag instead of going to a detachable mag?

I am not seeing a way to do it, but since so many members here and elsewhere seem to be adding these stocks, I'd like to know how it legally can be done or if everyone here is just doing it illegally.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
most are being dumb about it. you might beable to do it if you replace the firing pin the extractor and the springs with american made
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Gunz4me - that's the list I started off with.

I am asking is there any legal way to get the parts list to 10 or less on a Chinese SKS if you keep the factory 10 round mag instead of going to a detachable mag?

I am not seeing a way to do it, but since so many members here and elsewhere seem to be adding these stocks,

The reason I left my SKS alone is because it is so damn hard to find US made parts to make the weapon 922r compliant.  If you can find some other US made parts to replace the two imported parts your mag consists of (follower and body), you may be able to keep the fixed mag.  Unfortunately, finding those parts would be ultra rare, unless you know a machinist or smith who can manufacture some for you.

Quoted:
I'd like to know how it legally can be done or if everyone here is just doing it illegally.

My opinion is that most are doing it illegally.  I have already run across BATF agents FIVE times, therefore, I would shy away from making illegal mods to ANY gun.  It just isn't worth taking a risk to have my rifle "look" evil and scary.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
While I don't want to encourage you to change the stock, I think you should look into whether 922 applies to your rifle. I believe that a Chinese Type 56 with a bayonet was imported before 922 was enacted. However don't rush out and do anything based on my understanding. I never looked into this. I like my Type 56 just the way it was made.

If in doubt don't make any conversion without the full complement of U.S. parts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
While I don't want to encourage you to change the stock, I think you should look into whether 922 applies to your rifle. I believe that a Chinese Type 56 with a bayonet was imported before 922 was enacted. However don't rush out and do anything based on my understanding. I never looked into this. I like my Type 56 just the way it was made.

If in doubt don't make any conversion without the full complement of U.S. parts.

The sad thing about it is even if the rifle was "here" before the passing of 922 into law, it will be up to the owner of the gun to prove that either they owned it before the law passed, or that it was really in this country before the law passed.  It is easy if you have a receipt showing that you purchased prior to 1989. If it were purchased much later from a dealer who "said" it was here before the ban, and that receipt shows that it was post 922/1989, one can easily be screwed by the alphabet boys for making modifications.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]

I think you should look into whether 922 applies to your rifle. I believe that a Chinese Type 56 with a bayonet was imported before 922 was enacted.

Sadly, it's not the import date that affects it - it's whether you already had it configured that way before the ban went into effect.

Even if I had the rifle before the 1989 ban started, I can't make a change to it now without complying with the 89 law.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Not to change the subject, but is a monte carlo stock legal on a Norinco? They do have , what I call a semi-pistol grip .
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think you should look into whether 922 applies to your rifle. I believe that a Chinese Type 56 with a bayonet was imported before 922 was enacted.

Sadly, it's not the import date that affects it - it's whether you already had it configured that way before the ban went into effect.

Even if I had the rifle before the 1989 ban started, I can't make a change to it now without complying with the 89 law.

True, but, if I had a receipt stating that I owned that gun prior to 1989, it would have had a folding stock prior to 1989  

In other words, I would tell them here is my receipt.  Oh it only says SKS type 56, damn that dealer for not mentioning the "free" side folding stock he gave to me for purchasing the rifle from him.  Oh well, talk with them if you think it was configured otherwise, assuming he can remember back to 1989 or before.  Have a nice day!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
wouldnt go to far once they point out that the stock was made in the mid 90's
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You're probably right. That sounds like the way the feds do things. As I said I never really looked into the legality of making changes. When I wanted a rifle in 7.62 x 39 with a pistol grip, I bought an AK.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
wouldnt go to far once they point out that the stock was made in the mid 90's

So I would be busted!  Lucky for me I did not do any of that stuff to my SKS.

During the ban, I recall going to gun shows and seeing dealers with post ban guns that had pre-ban features.  I saw AKs with original furniture (i.e. stamped MAK 90 on the side and having original Chinese furniture WITHOUT US compliance parts in them), SKS rifles that had ground off bayonet lugs, yet included folding pistol grip stocks and duckbill magazines, dealers selling "used" pistols that included LE restricted hi-capacity magazines, and I can go on for days...  

I also saw dealers selling L1A1 rifles that had Imbel receivers and all imported parts.  It would be tough for the consumer to "prove" what condition his weapon was in when purchased because the dealer can always say, "I didn't sell it to him/her that way".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#13]
To throw something else into the mix, there is a 5 year statute of limitations on 922... so if you build it to a 922 violation configuration, document it, and hide it away for 5 years, you could be OK.  But I wouldn't want to try it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#14]

To throw something else into the mix, there is a 5 year statute of limitations on 922... so if you build it to a 922 violation configuration, document it, and hide it away for 5 years, you could be OK. But I wouldn't want to try it.

That's interesting, never heard of that... Of course, my problem now is trying to prove that a gun I KNOW was configured a certain way before the ban is legit, this seems like it would be the same issue. How do you prove it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#15]
[most are being dumb about it. you might beable to do it if you replace the firing pin the extractor and the springs with american made]

==================================================

Most of you are missing the boat on the "ten or less rule"   It is the FOREIGN parts that you have to count......not how many US parts you slap on the rifle. The parts that are counted must be on the LIST......... !!!!!!   So no, adding a US made firing pin has absolutely effect to the rifles status.

Please read my post on the first Sticky about Duck bill magazine replacements....near the end of the thread.

Yes I can get the number of Foriegn parts to ten or less............. but you have to remove the bayonet lug and blade.

Yes Tapco is advertising an illegal set up with their Tactical parts kit IMHO. They forget that the SKS rifle has TWO disconnectors -  when they are counting foreign parts. But as I said it can be done legally if you buy all the parts they suggest Plus replace the grenade launcher with a US flash suppressor and remove the Bayonet Lug and Blade.

That is what I might try and do with my SKS......when I get tired of looking at the wooden stock. As these rifles become more and more popular......... it is likely more companies will make and sell US made parts to replace the foreign Parts on the BATF  LIST.

Remember.......the replaced Parts MUST be those that are on the LIST......to affect the rifle's Status.

JF.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I hope you're right about more companies making US made compliance parts, that would make things a lot easier. I like the stock setup and have most of my SKS's that way, but I wouldn't mind upgrading/customizing a little more here and there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think that you can do it without swapping out the magazine.  I put the US parts in my Norinco, and it's kind of funny that it's all or nothing.  I can't put on my nice sporter Monte Carlo stock (to make it look less 'evil' without putting on a big 30 round aftermarket magazine.

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top