Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:42:08 AM EDT
where can i find laws on the internet about discharging firearms, theres a place that is extremely remote public land theres a few houses around but they are about 1/4 to  a mile away and i jus want to try the sks for the first time...but i live in cali with extremely strict gun laws and then on top of that i live in orange county where they'e are a million cops who are extremely bored so yea gun laws would b a good thing to kno
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not go to the area and see if there are spent cases lying around? That will tell you if others have done so before at that spot.

Then call the local Sheriff's office and ask them about their enforcement of the law. Most places the restriction is to not shoot within 200 yards of an occupiable dwelling.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, most states have laws against discharging firearms in city limits regardless of how much room you have to shoot, unless you get the special permits and licenses and such to start a range.  Which is why most shooting clubs and ranges are located in townships outside of city limits and way out in the middle of nowhere. But if this location is in a major city or suburb, esp. in California, the answer is most likely no you cannot discharge firearm legally there.  If you say its public land like a park or something, I bet you will be arrested pretty quickly once you start blastin off some rounds there.  Californias laws are a lot more strict than ohio's and we cant just start blasting at public places regardless of how remote or isolated they are from homes and other people.. To shoot here, you either have to own land in a township or village that is outside of city limits and own enough land that you can safely shoot on it, not sure what the exact requirements are but its something along those lines.  Either that or obviously going to someone elses house who meets those requirements. If neither of those are possible, then you either join a shooting club and pay their membership fees.  There is also public ranges that are run by the state that you can go to by paying a small fee... 5 dollars (in ohio at least) to shoot all day if you want. Here is a list of shooting ranges in california that I researched for you.. maybe some of these are near you.

www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=CA
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang...

In VA, there are 5-6 state ranges open for FREE to the public, all days except Wednesday (maintenence day). You choose your distance, the rifle ranges have between 8-20 slots with ranges of 25, 50, 75 and 100 and the shotgun/pistol ranges have ranges of 25, 50 and 75. All free, dawn to dusk, with the only limitations being on "centerfire .50 cal rifles" (for the state run ranges) and on illegal people/guns.

I have 5 acres of land, woods, with plenty of houses around. I am more than 300ft. away from other houses and more than 50 yards away from the road, and the bullets hit more than 50 ft. from a creek (Chesapeake Bay Act mandates that). I shoot there, usually not much, 10 or so rounds. Sometimes people shout, sometimes they don't. Never had cops. The funniest time was when I first shot my SKS, fired 30 or so rounds, heard people shouting "HEY!!!" and "CUT THAT DAMN SHOOTING OUT" from thru the woods... stopped shooting. No cops. Did it again 4 days later, someone shouted "HEY!!!". I unloaded, put the safety on, set the rifle/ammo on the cheap shooting bench I built, went to the top of the hill and shouted "HEY MAN, WHATS UP BRO?". He got in his truck and drove off. No cops. Since then, no complaints.

It is legal to shoot here. I shoot downhill into targets with no water or rock or steel nearby. I obey all safety regulations. My land. My chosen use. I did, however, talk to the county cops (two different cops) and both supported what I do, and said it's legal, but I should try to shoot during the same hours when I choose too, so people can get used to it and know when to expect it. I haven't bump-fired more than 3 rounds in a row, but maybe I should... just the fear of dealing with a liberal cop (even though I haven't met one here yet).
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Not gloating, but one reason I moved to OR was the huge expanses of public land.

Here in a few minutes, I am going to drive up into the hills and shoot some liberal Waterjugs with my SKS.

There really aren't any areas hereabouts where we CAN'T shoot, outside of municipalities. Sorry you are stuck down there.

Hope you find a 'spot' soon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
do like i did and buy yourself some land out in the country, i am planning on setting up a 300 meter range sometime this summer, but right now i only have 75 meters, land in the country isnt that expensive, and and will not do anything but go up in value, hell its not like they are going to make anymore...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I'm lucky then.  I'm in western Michigan. Own 8 acres in a national forest. And even though I belong to the local gun club I've built a 100 yard range complete with permanent bench at 100 yards and a temporary bench at 50 yards for 22 work. Took the tractor and peeled the top sand (sandy here, 4 miles off Lake Michigan) off the range to make a backstop about 6 feet high over a bunch of downed trees. I go to the club maybe once a year now for the annual feast, lol.  Good luck
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top