Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » SKS
Posted: 12/18/2005 3:50:07 AM EDT
I saw a picture of one in the gen. disc. thread (ar15 vs ak47) I like the looks. Has anyone got to cop a feel on this set up? Did you like it? Let us know.

May want to put one on my Yugo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:16:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:
I saw a picture of one in the gen. disc. thread (ar15 vs ak47) I like the looks. Has anyone got to cop a feel on this set up? Did you like it? Let us know.hr

Personally, I don't like it because they are trying to make the SKS something it is not. Although I haven't felt this one, I did not care for the feel of the Tapco brand AK collapsable stocks, therefore I probably would not like the feel of the SKS one either.

Also, isn't there some sort of "legal" issue with slapping one of these on a SKS? I believe it has something to do with configuration modification and the fact that the BATF can consider you a manufacturer who assembled an imported gun with more than 10 imported parts???
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:53:54 PM EDT
Make somthing it's not? Making it into a lamp woulb be something it wasn't made to be. Putting a scope on it might. But making it more comfortable to shoot.

I don't know why changing a stock should be illeagle. It's not a Kit like the AK's are. You aren't building a gun. But I'm not BATF either, who knows what strange laws lurk in the many law books we have never read.

So if I put a new wood stock of American manufacture would I be breaking the law?

Maybe I should put a post in the leagle section.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:36:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:
Make somthing it's not? Making it into a lamp woulb be something it wasn't made to be. Putting a scope on it might. But making it more comfortable to shoot.

I feel that too many people want to add the collapsible stock to the SKS just to make it look like an AR-15. Also, I have extreme prejudice against the Tapco AK collapsible stocks due to the fact that I hate the way they feel, therefore that has tainted my opinion of their SKS stock.

I don't know why changing a stock should be illeagle. It's not a Kit like the AK's are. You aren't building a gun. But I'm not BATF either, who knows what strange laws lurk in the many law books we have never read.

If I am not mistaken, the Pistol Grip changes things. Although technically, the pistol grip would be an American compliance part with this stock set, I would have concerns that the rifle could be considered illegal due to the fact that there are not enough SKS parts around to get one within the BATF section 922 legal zone. Assuming you have the pistol grip, bayonet lug, and detachable mags, you could be in for a rough time with section 922 compliance. If you can prove your rifle was purchased pre 1989, all of these concerns would be a moot point and you "should" be able to do whatever you want with the gun.

So if I put a new wood stock of American manufacture would I be breaking the law?

As long as it doesn't have a pistol grip, I wouldn't see any problems with using a Monte Carlo stock or a Choate Dragunov style stock. Adding a pistol grip to an imported weapon that was not originally equipped as such is something that could cause alarm with the powers that be. I have heard rumors that changing parts could make the BATF consider you a manufacturer who assembled a weapon with more than 10 of the allowable imported features:

Barrel extensions
Barrels
Bolt carriers
Bolts
Buttstocks
Disconnect­ors
Floorplates
Followers
Forearms, handguards
Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
Gas pistons
Hammers
Magazine bodies
Mounting blocks (trunions)
Muzzle attachments
Operating rods
Pistol grips
Sears
Trigger housings
Triggers

Maybe I should put a post in the leagle section.

You can always ask the BATF for a ruling, and I am sure they will cite Section 922 with the list of features that an imported weapon should have no more than 10 of. It may take them a little while to get back to you, but, they generally answer questions when provided with the specific details of what you are trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:35:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 6:38:17 PM EDT by DoorKicker]
Fuck it, I got one today and I love it. I have never been too concerned with what the Gov't thinks I should own. I put it on my SKS D, the one that takes the AK mags and it rocks. I needed to trim the mag well of the stock just a bit, but it dropped right in.

Gives new life to the old safe queen. I have always liked the SKS better than the AK and now I like it even more. I don't think I would like it on the regular SKS with trap door mag though. It just wouldn't look right to me.

Also the TAPCO tele stock for the AK is lacking at the connection of the stock to the receiver. IMO. It seems like a weak point of the entire setup/ rifle. With this stock, the fit is smoother and it looks like it actually belongs to the rifle instead of just being hung on it as an obvious after market add on. It is solid too.

Maybe I can get a pic up soon.....

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:04:47 AM EDT
I have a Norinco SKS that I haven't shot in 10 years. I paid $99 for it brand new at a gun show. It has a Monte Carlo stock that I hate and I wouldn't mind trying out the Tapco stock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 5:44:38 PM EDT by redrider808]
Tapco stock works nice i have one and like it.
next one the list it's on it's way.
www.tech-sights.com/realgun2.jpg
should be here in the next few days.
http://www.tech-sights.com/
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:28:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
F*ck it, I got one today and I love it. I have never been too concerned with what the Gov't thinks I should own. I put it on my SKS D, the one that takes the AK mags and it rocks. I needed to trim the mag well of the stock just a bit, but it dropped right in.

Just be careful of any strangers (i.e. BATF agents in plain clothes) questioning that SKS at a public range. I guess I would just tell them that my rifle was a pre 1989 rifle, so section 922 doesn't apply!

Also the TAPCO tele stock for the AK is lacking at the connection of the stock to the receiver. IMO. It seems like a weak point of the entire setup/ rifle. With this stock, the fit is smoother and it looks like it actually belongs to the rifle instead of just being hung on it as an obvious after market add on. It is solid too.

I am happy to see that Tapco finally got something right with their telestock. As I posted earlier, I hate thier AK stock with a passion.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:23:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DoorKicker:

Fuck it, I got one today and I love it.
Maybe I can get a pic up soon.....

Any pics
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:13:31 AM EDT
I was thinking about the D/M models and I came to the conclusion that since the D/M models came with a thumbhole stock an ATI or Choate Dragunov are really a plastic thumbhole stock. It doesn't change anything but the material.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Page AK-47 » SKS
Top Top