Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » SKS
Posted: 12/7/2003 3:53:49 PM EDT
Well, I finally cleaned the cosmoline off of all the metal parts, and most of it out of the stock heh, enough that I had to shoot it.

I'm not quite sure if I am supposed to oil the gas-tube or not, so I ran it dry and didn't encounter any problems with that. After shooting, should I clean the gas tube? I have heard some talk of allowing the carbon to stay there so that it builds up a "seal".

Also, I noticed on the bayonet and cleaning rod that there seems to be a leak or so at the gas block. There was some light carbon, barely noticeable on the bayonet and such. I didn't have any problems though, and only noticed that when I started to clean the rifle.

Is there anything I should do to fix that possible leak?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:47:02 PM EDT
As long as it works just keep on shooting. I use a light coat of clp on the gas piston but I do not leave it visibly wet. If by chance you use milsurp ammo which may be corrosive, you must clean everything thoroughly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:45:34 PM EDT
Thanks. I've only been shooting wolf so far, I have some Cheetah stuff, and I've been looking at the 700 round cans that they have for sale on AIMsurplus and cheaperthandirt, is that stuff corrosive?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:49:07 PM EDT
Thats the hard part, you can't really tell. The wolf and barnaul is not corrosive, not sure about cheetah. I presume that anything not current Russian or US manufacture is corrosive and clean accordingly. My guess is that the spam cans are corrosive as they are set up for long term shelf life and corrosive ammo has a much longer shelf life.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:41:39 PM EDT
The 700 round cans that AIM is selling are current Ulyanovsk production. The boxes are labled:
Hunting Ammo
7,62x39mm
124 GR FMJ L.C.B
Non-Corrosive
20 rds
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:02:17 PM EDT
I keep seeing guys on these boards mention Barnaul, but I haven't seen any at the local shops or online, does anyone have a link to a good site with Barnaul for sale? Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:47:01 PM EDT
Don't know if this is the cheapest price, but I've got 1,000 rounds coming in tomorrow.

7.62X39
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
Page AK-47 » SKS
Top Top