Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2003 7:43:09 PM EDT
I recently came across this norinco sks, but it has an issue. The last owner said that it wont fire more then a couple rounds at a time. Tried different mags, cleaning yada yada... I look inside and find a peice of the feed rail missing(see pics) My question is, should I have this fixed, ie; run a bead across it and remill the bottom side and reshape the top part of the reail or ...???? Open to ideas at this point.

TIA,
CH

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have that fixed Immediately, looks like it is chewing up the bolt pretty good. Have it done by a reputable smith or trash it and get another. LOOKS UNSAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have checked it out and it is not doing any damage to the bolt. I have a a bit of time wrenching on guns, mostly mausers and 1911s as those are the ones I care the most for. I am going ot reair this myself as it will be a mild fix. I am wondering though if this is a common problem as it seems to be more of a design issue then anything. This is my first SKS, maybe the last but never the less, I want otget it done right. THe metal there is very thin and I can see how this could happen often. THe metal on the rails of a mauser are like tanks compared to these and these are automatics. Hmm Thanks for the advice and I will proceed with caution.
CH
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have run MANY, MANY thousands of rounds through SKS's and never seen this problem. Not saying that it is not common, but I have never seen it.

At first glance at your pic, I thought it was your bolt looking ragged/dinged, I think I am seeing your mag follower all scarred up now that I look at it again. Is that what this pic is of?

I see what you mean about paper thin! I had never noticed this. AK'S are thin here too. No problems.

I can tell you from personal experience that NONE of the aftermarket detatchable mags I have found are worth a flip. When you get it fixed, if it misfeeds, try a STOCK mag.

The only Reliable High capacity SKS's I have shot are the AK Mag converts.

GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes the first pic shows the action, top down, with mag inserted to show that the lips on the mag line up with the breakage. The second pic is bottom up, no mag. Both, muzzle right.
Thanks for the info and advice.
CH
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Cape_hunter did you get this fixed? Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#6]
NO I havent yet. I have been sidetracked with other projects, ie; latest mauser venture. Still undecided.

CH
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top