Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/2/2003 6:12:35 AM EDT
Yes, I have seen the 30 rounder detachable mags for the sks.  I think they are ugly and over priced.  At one time, I think I recall seeing a standard SKS that accepted AK mags. (I am not refering to the thumbhole stocked POS's that were imported about 7-8 yrs ago)

At one time I even had a Chinese SKS that took AK mags.  It too was ugly with a stubby barrel, potbelly stock and non ergodynamic thumbhole placement.

My questions are:  Has anyone converted a standard SKS to take AK mags?  Does someone out there offer a dropin set of parts?  Any web site links?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
1st , yes, there was a guy called George Stringer, "Internet Gunsmith" that did a conversion job but you still had to file the mags because of the width of the bottom of the bolt. really was a piece of crap. Don't know if he is still around, but no good anyway.

2nd , I own

3 Preban SKS 20inch with bayo factory conversions with std stocks

1 just like above but shortened to 16 inch barrel

2 Preban type 84 16 inch barrels with bayo and factory conversion and bolt hold open

3 post ban 16 inch barrel no bayo with 3 differend stocks

1 - Monte Carlo

1 - Thumbhole with wide forearm

1 - Thumbhole with narrow forearm

I consider the prebans to be the best SKS's ever built

the type 84's are very particular on mags, no so the others.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top