Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2017 11:24:49 PM EDT
I just ordered range grade SKS. Did I just waste $300.00? I've been wanting an SKS for a wile and it seemed like a good price, but now I am not sure if I should have waited for a Chinese or Russian. Has anyone here gotten an SKS from DSA?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Sold as is, beat to hell Yugo for $300 is high as hell IMO. Hopefully, the bore and gas block will be halfway decent. I would have looked around for a Chinese. Good luck OP, you may get a good one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I considered getting one, but was concerned about how beat up they could be. Got a Chinese lined up locally for $300 with a little ammo and extra mags.

Of the barrels are bad, they can be replaced. New Yugo barrels are $59, you just gotta know how to headspace, press on/off parts, and possibly sandblast and refinsh.

Post pics after you get cosmo off
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I considered getting one, but was concerned about how beat up they could be. Got a Chinese lined up locally for $300 with a little ammo and extra mags.

Of the barrels are bad, they can be replaced. New Yugo barrels are $59, you just gotta know how to headspace, press on/off parts, and possibly sandblast and refinsh.

Post pics after you get cosmo off
View Quote
Re-barreling an SKS is not a cost effective solution if you have $300+ in it and only going to do one.  Doing one yourself will run you well over $100 plus your time and you run the risk of distroying the barrel, receiver or both. Not to mention that the parts from the old barrel may not fit the new barrel.  Drop it off at a gunsmith and you'll have an additional $300+ into it.  

I personally wouldn't consider rebarreling until you go to the range. I've had and still do have some rifles that have sewer pipe barrels that shoot great. One of my range Garands will swallow a ME gauge and will out shoot some of my .5-1ME's.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll post pictures after I get it all cleaned up. To me worst case I have a cool wall hanger or a great beater rifle. If it's nicer than I expect great. I wont get it until Tuesday or Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a good one. It's better than I expected. I'm very happy with it.
Sks by [email protected], on Flickr
Sks by [email protected], on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top