Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/27/2016 2:53:20 PM EDT
Prices of those SKS-Ms seem to be on the rise.  Are they reliable?  Easy to find parts?  Accurate?  Good investment?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have to think that a factory-made "hi-cap" SKS-M would be a good, reliable gun, at least as reliable as the quality of the AK mags used. No reason why not.

That said; IMHO - I'd just get an AK and be done with it.

The beauty of the standard SKS is the pointability, reliability, and handiness of the 10-rd gun. No mags to lose, no drop-free dangers, easy to load fast with strippers,a bit less fast shoving rounds down thru the top.

I have mine working with an "in-place" 20rd Promag Tapco knock-off duckbill mag, utterly reliable - but a bit more clumsy than the standard 10rd mag. It can be considered "removable" like an AK mag, but my SKS is just a range-toy, so I don't care other than the space it takes up with the duckbill in place.

If I were to use it as a SHTF gun, the 10rd "fixed' mag would go back on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm have the Model D that came with the awful "Planet of the Apes" stock.  I "Tapco fucked" the stock and never looked back.

I really enjoy mine and it is currently my truck gun.  It is as reliable and shootable as any other SKS.  I do miss the bolt hold open on this model.  

The trigger really sucks, even by SKS standards.  I'm not sure how I would ever replace this trigger group if it ever broke and damned if I can figure out how to get it apart to replace components.

But I wanted one for a long time before I got mine.  I like it and it's not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm have the Model D that came with the awful "Planet of the Apes" stock.  I "Tapco fucked" the stock and never looked back.

I really enjoy mine and it is currently my truck gun.  It is as reliable and shootable as any other SKS.  I do miss the bolt hold open on this model.  

The trigger really sucks, even by SKS standards.  I'm not sure how I would ever replace this trigger group if it ever broke and damned if I can figure out how to get it apart to replace components.

But I wanted one for a long time before I got mine.  I like it and it's not going anywhere.
View Quote
If you could find the original stock, would you be willing to part with it?
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top