Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/8/2011 6:31:48 PM EDT
Local range has a Chinese SKS I think for like 300 or less with some haggling, worth the money?

Never had an SKS, but I am looking for a relatively reliable and cheaper classic rifle to keep in my vehicle for use with spur of the moment hunting, varmint or coyote hunts, or just plinking.  

Was googling around for some "truck" choices and the SKS and Mini 14 keep coming up as the weapons of choice, but since I have the AK now and loads of ammo, figure I might as well have an SKS also.

I bought a Romanian, should I stick with a Romanian SKS as well, or is there a brand to avoid?

Price range is 300 and below, but I would love to find something in the 150 range that's not total junk.

Looking to shoot an average of 100-150 yards MOA and MO-Man out around 300. :-)

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 of the Chinese made SKS, both are good guns. I bought one for 200, came with Tapco stock, magazine and about 75 rounds. Other one I traded a single shot H&R rifle for, it also came with a Spanish Built Mauser in the deal. I have been happy with both rifles, function well and reasonably accurate. From what I read about the other rifles is that they are more collectible than the Chinese which were sold here, and can command more of a premium over the Chinese. One is currently being duracoated as the finish was crap, and when it gets back it will become my truck gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the Chinese have a chrome lined barrel I wonder?  Guess i need one that does, or at least one that's decent.  I need to figure out what to look for in a lemon sks I guess.

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 3:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
The Chinese made SKS has a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have personally never shot a MOA SKS or Mini-14 (unless you have one of the new, expensive Mini's).  I am by no means a benchrest shooter or former sniper, but I can hold my own.  If you want MOA, well....My experiences with SKS's is they tend to work every time I pull the trigger, are more accurate than my AK's, and a good starter rifle for my kids.  I would feel very comfortablde deer hunting with one, but it is NOT a varmint gun.  My two cents.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Chinese or a beater Yugo would be the only ones I can think of in your $$ range.  Of those 2, IMHO, I would go with the Chicom.
If you can save some more money, get a Russian.  They go for $550 + or - .
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The One I had my eye on is a norinco chinese version. Would it be worth my time to invest in one. Are there aftermarket options for this rifle? I will use it mainly for deer our at the range. Must have a small scope.

The stock has a number carved in it, looks like it was factory done, and that number matches the receiver and bolt numbers, so I guess that's a good thing?

Looks like it's in good shape, need to inspect it further for wear, but it's better looking then most 10 year old rifles I see.

Not sure if it comes with anything as far as accessories, priced at 300, probably can take it for 250 otd being that I know the guy fairly well and trade there regularly.

Any opinions?  This is a starter SKS for me, just like the WASR AK i just purchased.  So I am really not wanting to get in super deep until I see if I even like firing the thing.  I do like guns that have history though, so this is a perfect pick for a semi auto rifle in this time frame and with it's list of history.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The Chinese SKS is an Awesome gun, they are as good as any of the rest. There are however ones with pinned barrels and ones with screw in barrels, I prefer the screw in barrels, but I have had both and never had a problem with either one. The ones you need to be careful with are the Yugo's. They do not have chrome lined barrels/chambers and will many times not cycle as a result of a pitted chamber. Many a person has had problems with yugo sks rifles and immediately think it is the gas system, (sometimes it is) But the majority of the ones that I picked up for a song because they didnt work had pitted chambers. They can be fixed most of the time by polishing the chamber with emery cloth on a cleaning rod using a hand drill, do not get carried away, you could make the chamber to large, just clean it up and try it, it usually works. I am going to make a list of things to check on yugo rifles to alleviate cycling issues that I have found.

1: Check chamber for corrosion/pitting
2: remove small piston located inside of rear sight block and clean dried hard cosmoline from it and the spring and re-oil it
3: Check gas tube and gas block for excessive corrosion/leakage replace if needed
4; Make sure you understand where the switch on the gas block needs to be for the rifle to be used as semi auto, not for launching grenades
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I resisted the SKS for about 10 years.  Now I own three.  Two are Chinese, one is Russian.

Like you, I was looking for a "truck gun" and I fell in love with the rugged simplicity of the thing.  They are a lot of fun.  I own several AKs and ARs, a couple Garands and an M1A, and the SKS goes with on just about every range trip.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Guess I will go pick the thing up then.  Got on the Survivor sks boards and asked around a little as well and everyone pretty much agrees, the Chinese is a decent rifle.  Best i can tell this one is early chinese, so it will have the screw in barrel, and that's just using the stock for my diagnosis, as the lettering and sling attachment match the early chinese versions.

I don't think the bayonet lug still exists, almost looks as if it was cut down, but I didn't really pay attention when i saw it the first time, so I will have to look again when i go back.  Hope that's not a huge issue.  After all, I have the AK for close quarters combat situations, the SKS would be my longer range solution, and as I mentioned, a truck'/toss around weapon that's easy to work on.

Might run down there today and take a look.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
My first one, from AIM, is a Romanian SKS.

Great condition and all the numbers match.

I will shoot it soon! I'll let you know how accurate it is.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good choice...my Romanian SKS has been extremely reliable and surprisingly accurate if I do my part.  My average is 3.5" MOA @ 100yds firing off a sandbag, which I don't think is too bad for a SKS and Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The stock doesn't look like much, but it's solid too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have not bought it yet, haggle on it. Not a shabby price for an SKS nowadays. Hard to beat a semi-auto in a nice caliber for that price, when you really think about it. That will make a cheap shooter that can shoot afforable ammo. Try not to look at it from collector's point of you, imo. So what if it does not have a bayonet lug, do you plan to ever use it or just want something that looks cool? Dead weight anyways.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I was 19 when a friend told me about the SKS. He went with me to the gunshop...(you could still buy cool guns in Kalifornia back then) and I picked one out of a wooden case. You could barely see that there was a SKS under all the cosmoline. First cleaning took 4 hrs and then everytime I shot it the cosmoline would melt and run out of every nook and cranny. I got mine for $99 and a case of Chicom copper washed steel core on stripper clips for $129 (banned from import now). I shot 4K rounds thru it over the next year, then I left for the military. It sat at my parents house for 4 years, when I went home on leave I would make sure she had a good coat of CLP. Still have my first "assault" rifle and when someone says that the SKS isn't accurate all I have to do is pull her outta the safe and show them. My Norinco SKS has had around 6K rounds thru her and I can honestly say that I have never had a failure...ever. I thought that it was UGLY as hell when I got her but she sure grew on me....my son will soon learn to shoot my SKS, wish I woulda bought the whole case of them when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Chinese is GTG.

Russian is better.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Chinese SKS's are good to go. I have two Chinese and a Russian SKS's, and while the fit and finish on the Russian is much better the Chinese rifles are still pretty good. Actually was out shooting my newest Chinese yesterday.

You can't go wrong with a SKS, just look hard at the Yugo barrels
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top