Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/3/2017 1:12:38 PM EDT
I have a armory USA receiver with a Bulgarian parts kit aks 74u and have been toying with the idea of a 7.62x39 version. Given in part expense of 5.45 and just the fact that a 7.5" barrel is better off shooting .30 bullets.

How much of a pain or a bad idea would it be to have a competent AK smith change the caliber of my existing krink to 7.62x39 with appropriate parts. Is it even feasible?  Has anyone done it? I figure I could sell the removed 5.45 parts to finance the build. (Incidentally. What parts would be needed and what would need to be done besides bolt, barrel, front trunnion)?

Normally one might say "just get another one in 7.62", but we have 41F now and I would like it not to take a year to arrive!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StampCollector87] [#1]
It would be a pain but anything is possible with enough money but a lot of parts will have to be swapped.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StampCollector87:
It would be a pain but anything is possible with enough money but a lot of parts will have to be swapped.
View Quote

I figured that. At least the bulgy parts (and barrel especially) would be worth something sold after the fact (presumably they can be removed without being wrecked)

What I'm concerned about the most are things like receiver mods (ejector, rails, trunnion rivets, mag well/latch
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
parts cost is close to what a 107UR would cost, i think after all the parts swapping and receiver modding you might wish you'd bought/built a different gun and sold the 5.45
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kami211:
parts cost is close to what a 107UR would cost, i think after all the parts swapping and receiver modding you might wish you'd bought/built a different gun and sold the 5.45
View Quote
this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with a m92 for my 7.62 SBR due to cost. Since I did not care about a folding stock on that particular gun all it needed was a stamp, surplus wood stock and a usmachinegun adapter. It cost about 1/2 what either of my 5.45 did since they were SLR based.
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top