Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/3/2016 2:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR]
Hi guys,

My only experience with the ATF process is when I submitted a Form 4 for a factory SBR purchase two years ago using my trust. I've just purchased a Arsenal SLR107-51 and ETA: I'm considering cutting the barrel down, though first I'm going to get a Wolff "Extra Power" spring (part #85276) and just shoot the dang thing to make sure I even like it.

For the time-being, it appears Forms 1 and 5 are temporarily unavailable for submission through eForms while they update the language for 41F, so I'll be going paper-based. I'd really appreciate some guidance. Here's my specific questions:

1) In terms of LEO notification, it's unclear to me whether the individual is responsible for that or the ATF actually handles that themselves. I think it's the latter, but not certain.

2) Are there any issues with me having the receiver engraved with my trust info prior to getting my ATF approval? Sure, there's the risk that it doesn't go through or some crazy event happens and all pending ATF forms are put on an indefinite freeze, but these seem unlikely and thus, the risk feels low. Just want to get some input though.

3) I ordered the "Form 1 Application Kit" from the ATF website + extra copies of the fingerprint cards (for me, my wife, and my dad as trustees/beneficiary of the trust). Any idea how long the ATF takes to send forms out? Should I just print because the sooner I can get the fee paid and the forms sent off, the better.

4) For guys that have Form 1'd an SLR104, 105, 106 UR variant, anything to be cautious of when completing the form with make/model info so as to avoid a mistake?

5) Any other guidance on what to do/what to avoid, etc.?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:29:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghoul] [#1]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:

[span style='font-weight: bold;']1) In terms of LEO notification, it's unclear to me whether the individual is responsible for that or the ATF actually handles that themselves. I think it's the latter, but not certain.
View Quote

for notification, the "maker" has to send a copy of the form 1 to the CLEO. it's all spelled out in the instruction on  2g of the instruction. you also have to provide a copy for each responsible person on your trust to the CLEO (ATF form 5320.23)

!

3) I ordered the "Form 1 Application Kit" from the ATF website + extra copies of the fingerprint cards (for me, my wife, and my dad as trustees/beneficiary of the trust). Any idea how long the ATF takes to send forms out? Should I just print because the sooner I can get the fee paid and the forms sent off, the better.
View Quote

except of the fingerprint cards, those you can't print out.  you can if you want download and print the necessary forms off the web;   form 1 and form 5320.23

https://www.atf.gov/file/11281/download

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/national-firearms-act-nfa-responsible-person-questionnaire-532023/download

!

4) For guys that have Form 1'd an SLR104, 105, 106 UR variant, anything to be cautious of when completing the form with make/model info so as to avoid a mistake?!
View Quote

the only thing that you can possible mess up is in block 4a NAME AND ADDRESS OF ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER.  it isn't ARSENAL INC. LAS, VEGAS, NV. that is the importer.  I went to the Bulgarian  ARSENAL website and wrote  where in Bulgaria ARSENAL it's located at and wrote that in

ARSENAL, INC.

KAZANLAK, BULGARIA

as a matter of fact, the location of the factory is also  printed right on your box

I just hope you have better luck adjusting the elevation after having your barrel cut down. I broke the elevation tool trying to bringing the sight down a bit.  I tried all the tricks I have ever read about freeing up the front sight, heat, KROIL, PB BLASTER etc... trying  needle nose pliers, all to no avail, it won't budge 1mm. the windage drum was freed up, but no go on the front sight post. I just have to compensate for it, by aiming a bit high to get the rounds to hit  where I want it to hit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:15:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#2]
Ghoul, thanks very much for weighing in here - as well as providing the links. This was really helpful!
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghoul] [#3]
you're welcome

I see that you edited to say you'll be  getting a WOLFF  POWER SPRING.  you'll be just throwing away money on buying something you don't need .  I have  a Bulgarian AKS 74U (5.45) I had built back in 2004 and shot the shit out of it since then, way, way  more then 8K rounds  with the original spring it came with and it's holding up well. the 5.45 rifle has very low to non existent  recoil to begin with, even with a 8 inch barrel

IMO,   all these "gotta have/need" AK after market gizmos and parts are nothing more then manufacturers  gimmicks to peddle snake oil you don't need.

your AK the way it is now, is as good as it gets.

so don't fall for that "need this" to make it better bullshit.

put that money you were going to spend on that snake oil for something better ie.  mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The "Extra Power Spring" is just to tame the recoil and allow the rifle to cycle better in its 16" barrel configuration. So it will just make it more shootable with less wear-and-tear on the internals while I wait for my Form 1 to get approved. Once I eventually chop the barrel, I'll switch back to the OEM spring as it was intended.
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top